PDA

View Full Version : Former Canadian competitor commits suicide

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

yfbg722
10-18-2011, 10:07 PM
This makes me incredibly sad but also very angry. When will society truly change and accept all children, regardless of their sexuality?

As someone who works with children, it shocks me how often I hear negative stereotyping from even very young kids. I have done my best to raise my own children to believe that tolerance and inclusion is the right of every individual but I fear many parents still do not pass these lessons along. I hope some of these parents read stories like Jamie's and realize the harm that comes from the beliefs they are passing down.

blue_idealist
10-18-2011, 11:23 PM
This is really sad.. I knew he died but I didn't know he was a competitive figure skater.

Cherub721
10-18-2011, 11:31 PM
There are no words. :(

julieann
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
How terrible, I feel awful for his family.

RIP

olifaunt
10-19-2011, 12:39 AM
That's horrible. Poor baby. :( I hope his family is coping well. If he named any of his tormentors, I dearly hope they are punished. There have been too many stories like this lately.

skatingfanfun
10-19-2011, 02:09 AM
RIP. Why some teenagers are so mean? There should be some kind of law or bylaw to deal with bullies.

aaron
10-19-2011, 04:35 AM
Seems like he had been such a talented kid. No words... RIP

TygerLily
10-19-2011, 04:46 AM
Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking.

AragornElessar
10-19-2011, 05:20 AM
I heard this sad news yesterday, but the news item I saw didn't mention that Jamie had been a former skater. Beyond sad and there is just no words when this happens.

While not gay, I went through Hell during my School years due my various health issues and then finding out about the eye disease I have at 12 years old. What I and Jamie and every other kid who ends up w/a target on their back goes or went through in School is *not* bullying, but abuse. Until the terminology changes and we face what is actually going on in our schools, I sadly think nothing will ever change.

I still hear people today tell kids, "Well, I went through it in School, it's part of going through School and will only make you tougher in the end."

How many more kids do we have to lose before this changes?

My sympathies and condolences to Jamie's Family and Friends. May he now be at peace. :(

maggylyn
10-19-2011, 05:38 AM
So sad for Jamie and his family.
RIP

PeterG
10-19-2011, 06:57 AM
We marvel at how many resources gay kids have over what we gay kids of the 70s and 80s had ... the Internet, an abundance of other role models and organizations. But, there is still a mountain of challenges to endure for a young person if he or she comes out. The closet that we "elders" were forced stayed safely tucked into was also a safe place ... usually minimizing (if not eliminating) the taunting and bullying. We were able to gain strength, and then come out later in life. An out kid today is still going to have to be strong enough to endure taunts, whispers, and jokes at a minimum. Bullying and threats, perhaps. That is a tall order for a teenager.

The plus is that now there are more resources (and role models), but the online bullying means that not only your one high school can pick on you, but people from limitless high schools. Plus in my day, usually the bullying started and then stopped. Now the bullying remains in print online forever... :(

manhn
10-19-2011, 07:35 AM
From a Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1072227

students tried to stuff batteries down his throat on the school bus after he chose figure skating over ice hockey

I don't know what to say to that. This was only a few years ago. He was 15 and already out. So courageous.

paskatefan
10-19-2011, 11:11 AM
How awful. :eek: No one should be subjected to such bullying.

My condolences to the family, and may he RIP.

skatesindreams
10-19-2011, 03:05 PM
From a Toronto Star article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1072227

I don't know what to say to that. This was only a few years ago. He was 15 and already out. So courageous.

The people who did that to him should have been charged with attempted murder.

Moka-Ananas
10-19-2011, 04:44 PM
This is beyond sad and heartbreaking.

RIP Jamie! :(