PDA

View Full Version : Yuna will skipped the entire season

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jatale
10-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Yazmeen: I think you got it just right, a very good post. After she won the OGM her skating was just not the same, her laser focus and precision was gone. Who can blame her? She had climbed Mt. Olympus and reigned supreme with some of the best performances in figure skating history. It would be almost impossible to top that.

I think it is extremely unlikely she will return to competition unless it is the Pro kind. For the next year anyway, she will find out what its like to live a more normal life. I hope she likes it.

triple_toe
10-20-2011, 11:54 PM
I think Yuna is done with skating, but her entourage is not.

I think this was the case the night after she competed her long in Vancouver :slinkaway

RumbleFish
10-21-2011, 02:05 AM
My impression of Yuna is that she is highly competitive. She wasn't content to just win, she wanted to dominate. Last season and again this season she sounded/sounds indecisive about competing. I just get the impression that she no longer feels challenged by skating competition, and is looking for a new challege.

I also get the impression that her skating federation and her fans would like to see her continue competing, so it is probably hard for her to say no.

Not many elite competitors who take a year or more off from competing come back to their previous form. Plushenko came close, I can't think of any others. I am sure that she is aware of this also.

She could make a career out of show skating, but somehow I don't think that is enough for her. She has plenty of other opportunities to explore, and now is the time to do it.

I appreciate taking your time to share your impressions, but it doesn't really convince me how it is obvious that she has lost interest in training.

In fact, she has said she will continue to train with the Korean team in Seoul. To me, this sounds pretty clear that she will continue to train while she engages in other activities. ;)

lowtherlore
10-22-2011, 04:37 AM
My impression of Yuna is that she is highly competitive. She wasn't content to just win, she wanted to dominate. Last season and again this season she sounded/sounds indecisive about competing. I just get the impression that she no longer feels challenged by skating competition, and is looking for a new challege....

I have some different view. Yu-Naís been a great competitor, but she seems of the type that doesn't like competing much. She's not a fighter type and I donít think the desire to win or competitive drive was that important a factor in her success. IMO a bigger contributing factor has been her almost zen-like, austere attitude toward her skating. I think thatís what allowed her to keep the pressure to win from getting to her at Vancouver. Nobody knows if she would return to competition, but if she does I think it might have little to do with her wanting to win again. On several occasions she said something to the effect of skating itself still presents challenges to her, and that skating is her life.

BTW, she skates daily in Korea, and reportedly the junior members get extra alert when sheís in the rink!

bek
10-22-2011, 06:12 AM
I appreciate taking your time to share your impressions, but it doesn't really convince me how it is obvious that she has lost interest in training.

In fact, she has said she will continue to train with the Korean team in Seoul. To me, this sounds pretty clear that she will continue to train while she engages in other activities. ;)

There's training, Rumblefish, and there's training. Yu-na might really enjoy going out here and training for an hour/two hours a day, or training a couple of times a week. But she may not want to train full time.

It took huge amounts of work to get to her Olympic shape level and I think she realized last year half hearted doesn't work, and half hearted won't work with those Russian babies coming (either!!!)

Not to mention the pressure/expectations.

I'm sure it was an awful lot of sacrifices made to get where she's at, not only in the fact that she didn't have a normal childhood/teenage life but also not getting to be with her dad/sister. Now she's achieved everything in her sport and its natural she asks herself if the sacrifices are still worth it. And if its worth losing out in a normal college life too.

I don't blame Yu-na one bit. Maybe a year or two from now Yu-na will change her mind, and have the passion again to really fight. But I don't blame her one bit. And I think there's a huge difference between training for shows/to keep in shape and training to win Olympics/worlds.

I have some different view. Yu-Na’s been a great competitor, but she seems of the type that doesn't like competing much. She's not a fighter type and I don’t think the desire to win or competitive drive was that important a factor in her success. IMO a bigger contributing factor has been her almost zen-like, austere attitude toward her skating. I think that’s what allowed her to keep the pressure to win from getting to her at Vancouver. Nobody knows if she would return to competition, but if she does I think it might have little to do with her wanting to win again. On several occasions she said something to the effect of skating itself still presents challenges to her, and that skating is her life.

Ugh, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the kind of pressure Kim was placed under. Of course though her attention/spotlight got her millions of dollars in endorsements. But still.

RumbleFish
10-22-2011, 08:39 AM
There's training, Rumblefish, and there's training. Yu-na might really enjoy going out here and training for an hour/two hours a day, or training a couple of times a week. But she may not want to train full time.

It took huge amounts of work to get to her Olympic shape level and I think she realized last year half hearted doesn't work, and half hearted won't work with those Russian babies coming (either!!!)

Not to mention the pressure/expectations.

I'm sure it was an awful lot of sacrifices made to get where she's at, not only in the fact that she didn't have a normal childhood/teenage life but also not getting to be with her dad/sister. Now she's achieved everything in her sport and its natural she asks herself if the sacrifices are still worth it. And if its worth losing out in a normal college life too.

I don't blame Yu-na one bit. Maybe a year or two from now Yu-na will change her mind, and have the passion again to really fight. But I don't blame her one bit. And I think there's a huge difference between training for shows/to keep in shape and training to win Olympics/worlds.

Well, I'm not saying she should nor shouldn't train like in a Olympic preparation mode. I was just curious why the poster was making such groundless assertions of one being 'obviously lost interest in training'.

lowtherlore
10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Ugh, I don't know how anyone could enjoy the kind of pressure Kim was placed under. Of course though her attention/spotlight got her millions of dollars in endorsements. But still.

I agree. Who would like the intense pressure to meet huge expectations every time. She needs a break.

Ziggy
10-22-2011, 04:51 PM

If you want to remain competitive, you need to fully commit to training and not train while you engage in other activities.

I also don't think that she will be back.

Even if she will, it will be as a result of huge outside pressure and it might end up like it did at 2011 Worlds. And if she's supposed to skate like that, I'd much rather see her retire and not tarnish her incredible career with dissapointing, uninspired performances.

RumbleFish
10-22-2011, 05:23 PM
If you want to remain competitive, you need to fully commit to training and not train while you engage in other activities.

If staying competitive means World Championship winning level, I agree that a skater would need to committ 100%.

Even if she will, it will be as a result of huge outside pressure and it might end up like it did at 2011 Worlds. And if she's supposed to skate like that, I'd much rather see her retire and not tarnish her incredible career with dissapointing, uninspired performances.

I'll probably stay supportive no matter what she chooses for her future, but I disagree about 2011 Worlds. It wasn't her all time best, but I thought she skated pretty well. It wasn't good as her 2010 Vancouver skaters, which was extraordinary even for her lofty standards.

Ziggy
10-22-2011, 05:31 PM
I'll probably stay supportive no matter what she chooses for her future, but I disagree about 2011 Worlds.

Surprise surprise. :D

RumbleFish
10-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Surprise surprise. :D

:D

Civic
10-22-2011, 08:51 PM
I'm afraid we will never see her again competing.
She is an amazing skater and I'll miss her skills this season.

I certainly understand her not wanting to endure the grind of eligible competition again. However, I'm sorry I never got to see her skate live. Best wishes in her future endeavors.

jatale
10-22-2011, 11:12 PM
As dim a hope as it may appear now, there is still the possibility that Yuna will re-commit to competitive skating again. I'm not optimistic, but I'm holding out a little hope. It is possible for a 23 year old to win a OGM, and despite all the promise of the young skaters coming up in the ranks, Yuna at 23 and at full power would still be unbeatable I think. Anyway, she should only come back if she, and she alone, wants to compete again and feels the drive and focus and hunger for winning that fueled her to her first OGM.

briancoogaert
10-23-2011, 11:44 AM

A silver medal, for 1 point, with couple of mistakes. I think that was not bad about results. And about inspiration, her LP at 2011 Worlds was very beautiful and touching. Her exhibition, though, looked uninspired ! ;)

RumbleFish
10-23-2011, 12:45 PM
A silver medal, for 1 point, with couple of mistakes. I think that was not bad about results. And about inspiration, her LP at 2011 Worlds was very beautiful and touching. Her exhibition, though, looked uninspired ! ;)

It was said that she had injured her foot during SP, and had no choice but to skate the LP through it.

She would have been better off to skip the exhibition though.