PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Sue Mengers, 80, Hollywood Super Agent

Rex
10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
She was 79 (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/10/sue-mengers-powerhouse-hollywood-agent-dies.html).

At the time of her death, Mengers was surrounded by several friends, including talent agent Boaty Boatwright, actress Ali MacGraw and Joanna Poitier, wife of actor Sidney Poitier.

For two decades, Mengers was one of the entertainment industry's most powerful agents, rising fast in a business dominated by men. She earned a reputation as a skilled negotiator and tough adversary. And she had a knack for putting together packages of talent -- including authors, directors and stars -- that produced box office blockbusters.

I heard she was tough, and very aggressive. And she made a few enemies, but she definitely left her mark as one of Hollywood's uber-agents. RIP.

znachki
10-17-2011, 08:16 PM
As just a regular person and a fan of movies, I may not have known about many behind the scenes folks. But, hers was a name even I knew.

A real broad in the true sense of the word. RIP

emason
10-17-2011, 11:26 PM
IIRC, she was the inspiration behind the Dyan Cannon character in The Last of Sheila, one of my favorite cult classic movies.

RIP Ms. Mengers.

Rex
10-18-2011, 02:10 AM
She sounded like she had a pair, for real :respec:.

overedge
10-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Wow, she was everywhere in the 1980s, and then she just kind of disappeared. Sorry to hear of her passing.

soxxy
10-18-2011, 01:56 PM
There's a hilarious story about Sue in the book, 'Gods and Monsters'. In 1979 Sue was sitting on a plane at JFK destined for LA when it was "highjacked." It seems a protester was sitting on the tarmac, a bomb strapped to their body, the plane could not move, and the passengers were hysterical. The protester demanded that Charlton Heston read her manifesto before she would move. When this news got to Sue the four-letter words filled the plane. "Charlton Heston??" said Sue, "What the fcuk, he's second-rate, I can get her Barbra Streisand to read it!"

Hours passed. Sue was at her wits ends. Theodore Bikel was on the flight, "entertaining" the passengers with loud, bad renditions of Hava Naglia. Sue is all "STFU you suck."

It's a funny read, she was one of a kind, and represented a lot of big names.

skatesindreams
10-18-2011, 04:32 PM
What an amazing group of talent she represented.
A career of substance, made after humble beginnings.

RIP.

Rex
10-18-2011, 10:34 PM
There's a hilarious story about Sue in the book, 'Gods and Monsters'. In 1979 Sue was sitting on a plane at JFK destined for LA when it was "highjacked." It seems a protester was sitting on the tarmac, a bomb strapped to their body, the plane could not move, and the passengers were hysterical. The protester demanded that Charlton Heston read her manifesto before she would move. When this news got to Sue the four-letter words filled the plane. "Charlton Heston??" said Sue, "What the fcuk, he's second-rate, I can get her Barbra Streisand to read it!"

Hours passed. Sue was at her wits ends. Theodore Bikel was on the flight, "entertaining" the passengers with loud, bad renditions of Hava Naglia. Sue is all "STFU you suck."

It's a funny read, she was one of a kind, and represented a lot of big names.:rofl: what great anecdotes, soxxy! Thanks for sharing these.