PDA

View Full Version : Which overused music (pick 3) would you like to see banned from FS competitions?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

orbitz
10-18-2011, 08:50 PM
Warsaw Concerto
POTO
Theme from Paganini
Spartacus
Meditations
Aranjuez

There should be extra credit bonus points dole out for creative selection of music to encourage skaters and their team not to re-use pieces that have been done to death.

Vash01
10-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Warsaw Concerto
POTO
Theme from Paganini
Spartacus
Meditations
Aranjuez

There should be extra credit bonus points dole out for creative selection of music to encourage skaters and their team not to re-use pieces that have been done to death.

Warsaw concerto is overused?:confused:

I know Gregorz Filipowski and Zagorska-Siudek used it. Who else?

What is POTO?

I agree about the rest about being somewhat overused, but just not as much as some other music - JMO.

burntBREAD
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM

What is POTO?

I agree about the rest about being somewhat overused, but just not as much as some other music - JMO.

POTO is Phantom of the Opera.

Finnice
10-18-2011, 08:58 PM
Another vote to Spartacus.

shady82
10-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Scheherazade, Requiem for a Dream, Firebird. What makes these pieces worse is that most recent programs with this music have been mediocre.

periperi
10-19-2011, 02:24 AM
I'm another one who likes all of these. POTO and Requiem for a Dream are the only ones I can think of that I would want banned.

blue_idealist
10-19-2011, 05:14 AM
I don't want any of them banned, but I wouldn't mind not hearing Requiem for a Dream for awhile.

Vash01
10-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I was thinking later that 'banned' sounds too harsh, and no music deserves that. However, 'retired' sounds quite good. So some of the music can be respectfully retired, after much appreciation over the years.

orientalplane
10-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Midori Ito used it for her SP way back in 1991. But I agree it's not over-used.

Aranjuez and Rota's Romeo and Juliet could do with a rest. :yawn:

falling_dance
10-19-2011, 04:53 PM

Nobunari Oda skated to it during the 2008-9 season (for his LP).

paskatefan
10-20-2011, 12:56 AM
^ Didn't Shepherd Clark use it at some point? It's been used a lot, but I like the music anyway.

DORISPULASKI
10-20-2011, 01:41 AM
The following news item reminded me of this thread:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/19_06.html

Concert for good sleep held in Kyoto

In Kyoto, western Japan, an unusual concert was held on Tuesday to help people get to sleep by listening to relaxing music.

The Japanese Society of Sleep Research organized the event at a concert hall to raise public interest in sleep.

Twenty-four people in the audience were connected to an electroencephalograph, or EEG machine.

Twenty classical pieces were played, including the aria "None Shall Sleep" from Puccini's opera "Turandot".

Whenever 10 percent of the subjects fell asleep, a sheep icon appeared on a screen in the hall.

The 8th sheep appeared between the 5th piece and the 6th, indicating that 80 percent of the test-takers were asleep.

The research group says that people who have sleeping disorders can use the machine to take readings of their brain waves to help doctors diagnose their medical problems.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 06:14 +0900 (JST)

This tends to make me believe Nessun Dorma should not be used unless you want the audience to score 8 sheep.

shah
10-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Tosca and Turandot, no to mention Requiem For A Dream/Tower/whatever version! :scream:
as for R&J - I'd rather ban Rota than Tchaikovsky or Prokofiev...

plus I'd ban any piece of music in Edvin Marton's version. can't stand his screechy violins...

Reuven
10-20-2011, 11:41 PM
The following news item reminded me of this thread:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/19_06.html

This tends to make me believe Nessun Dorma should not be used unless you want the audience to score 8 sheep.Wonder if they used this > :sheep:

Jiazumi
10-21-2011, 01:48 AM
Carmen POTO, Swan Lake, Firebird, RFD, Nutcracker, Romeo & Juliet, Scheheradeh, Piano Concert No.2