PDA

View Full Version : Gracie Going 4 Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Autumn_girl
10-16-2011, 03:48 PM
In her first outing w/ a popped loop, Gracie is only .09 behind Liza and 6.28 clear of Adelina. I'd say she's more than competitive with them, and let's not forget Leah Keizer ...

But it's not like Liza and Adelina stay at the same level, you know. And they both were only 13-14 years old. We haven't seen Adelina yet, but Liza was amazing at Japan Open, she improved a lot since last season, I think with clean skate at the Grand Prix and Junior Worlds her scores can be veeeery high.

I actually like Leah more than Gracie and feel sorry for her, I think she deserved JGP as well.

pinky166
10-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Zawadzki is closest.

Or Gao. But I doubt Gao will ever have a secure 2a-3t due to her weird axel technique. But her 3f-3t and 3t-3t are very secure and she seems to be fixing her flutz.

olympic
10-16-2011, 04:32 PM
But it's not like Liza and Adelina stay at the same level, you know. And they both were only 13-14 years old. We haven't seen Adelina yet, but Liza was amazing at Japan Open, she improved a lot since last season, I think with clean skate at the Grand Prix and Junior Worlds her scores can be veeeery high.

I actually like Leah more than Gracie and feel sorry for her, I think she deserved JGP as well.

It was her first outing, so I thought it was relevant. Gracie will also not stay at the same level...probably [hope I'm not jinxing it]

Frau Muller
10-16-2011, 04:33 PM
Just got back from my 10 days in Italy (for ballet but I caught the last day of the Jr GP there) and read this. WOW, WHO THE FREAKIN' H*** IS GRACIE GOLD??? Oh my! First Hannah Miller, now "Gracie Gold" whoever she is. this is great. An out-of-nowhere star is born!

Thnks for the tidbits of info, Sylvia.

millipied
10-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Gracie Gold will destroy the Russians. YES!!!

Vagabond
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM

Oh, please, stop it! We seem to be just about over the Korea-vs.-Japan madness. The last thing FSU needs is some warmed over Cold War. :scream:

koatcue
10-16-2011, 05:14 PM

Very clever remark:lol:

Triple Butz
10-16-2011, 05:17 PM
:huh: She landed a 2A/3T in her free at regionals (http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2012/68239/results.html)(to a +.88 GOE no less :P ) As for lacking a triple loop, that didn't seem to stop the Kween. :lol: (NOT comparing Siraj to Kwan, just making a point that there are plenty of skaters who don't try the full arsenal of triples and do well - salchow-less Alissa, loop-less Kim, etc.)

Re: 2A/3T: nope. Also, Kwan didn't lack a loop until 2005, which was also the first time she finished off the world podium in ten years, so it possibly did hurt her.

millipied
10-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Very clever remark:lol:

:D Just reflecting the trend of this discussion:)

koatcue
10-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Hope there'll be no a la Japan-Korea fans rivalry)

DORISPULASKI
10-16-2011, 05:40 PM
It's just nice that there are finally a couple ladies in the US who might conceivably become very competitive in seniors. In fact, if that happens, we might even get more TV coverage.

(The state of ladies is so bad right now that I can't find where NBC is broadcasting the ladies LP at Skate America. They're doing the men's & dance instead. This is such a reversal of past TV airing strategy that it is :eek: Of course, as a rabid dance fan, I'm happy it will be aired, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see the ladies & the pairs...)

olympic
10-16-2011, 06:49 PM
(The state of ladies is so bad right now that I can't find where NBC is broadcasting the ladies LP at Skate America. They're doing the men's & dance instead. This is such a reversal of past TV airing strategy that it is :eek: Of course, as a rabid dance fan, I'm happy it will be aired, but that doesn't mean I don't want to see the ladies & the pairs...)

Ok, so Men's and Dance is what they will show on Sunday afternoon?

pinky166
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Hope there'll be no a la Japan-Korea fans rivalry)

Well, Park So-Yeon and Risa Shoji do have very similar styles. But actually, Japan for it's reputation as a figure skating powerhouse does not seem to have nearly as many talented youngsters as Russia and the US right now. It's basically just Shoji and Miyahara. Some of the other girls are pretty good (like Oba), but these two are the only ones that are up there with the Russians and US ladies competing on the JGP. I guess Kanako is still only 16 and Haruka Imai is promising as well (though very inconsistent), but I don't see either of them as a real threat for gold in 2014, and with Miki likely done, Mao likely on her way out, and Akiko being 26 already and inconsistent, idk, it seems like Japan's era of dominance may be ending. Of course they will still always be up there and have plenty of talented skaters, but at least in the 13 to 18 year old range, not a whole lot of superstars, at least not yet.

Louise
10-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Just watched GG's vids. Very impressive for someone I'd only vaguely heard of on here. I was relieved to see she isn't a tiny pre-pubescent (with a name like GG I was nervous before I clicked on the links...) I am not seeing the 'butch' or 'jock' with her, but maybe in person she comes across differently. She seems to have a nice, elegant body and consistency with her 3/3s. Decent spins. Yeah, she's not really interpreting the music, but I was expecting something outrageous like Shelepen this year who as far as I can see has no connection at all with her music. Good flexibility and some body awareness. I'm a fan. I hope she achieves her personal best because right now she's already pretty awesome.
I'm not going to say she is the next big American thing, but watching her it makes me wonder why wouldn't she big in USFS? What for example does Ashley Wagner bring more to the table with her skating? And Flatt for that matter? Whereas Wagner (2foots) and Flatt (mediocre spins) have their obvious issues, there really wasn't one thing that stood out with GG's skating that made me uneasy. She still has work to go, but nothing is screaming out "I NEED HELP!" Her coach has done a great job with her.
I'm impressed with GG's jumps and how they go OUT and cover more distance than typical, plus the height is good too. There's room underneath her jumps for a mild change in body size if she grew a bit. Of course anything is possible, injuries, etc, and I was really rooting for Hicks this season, so I'm not getting any more hopes up. And who knows if she becomes a headcase. Lots can go wrong, but at this point, what she is doing is very impressive for her level.

mapleleaf
10-16-2011, 07:10 PM
But it's not like Liza and Adelina stay at the same level, you know. And they both were only 13-14 years old. l.

Puberty Monster, period. Gold seems to have gone through most growth spurt. Those Russian babies, I'm not sure at all.