PDA

View Full Version : Gracie Going 4 Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

oleada
10-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I think Gracie is definitely competitive with Liza, Adelina and Julia. I think those three have her beat in presentation at the moment, but each skater has specific strengths and weaknesses. I think it's in Gracie's favor that the lutz is the solo jump, as both Adelina and Liza have the lutz in their 3+3 (though I know Adelina has landed 3F+3Lo in the past, and Liza has a 3S+3T).

I don't think that the Shelepen/Gracie comparison is out of line, to be honest. They have similar strengths and weaknesses. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. I think Polina has a nicer line but Gracie has better basics.

Mayra
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Plus Gracie's buffed body type isn't going to due her any favors if she tries to become more lyrical and elegant, she's a power skater and will probably always be one.

Joannie Rochette. Enough said. :P

millipied
10-15-2011, 06:44 PM
There are like 30 top level Russian girls out there. So better clarify who you are talking about.
But honestly, the Gold girl is good but not even close to the Russian triumvirate of J.A.L.
It's pointless to compare the scores across the competitions. She will not get higher PCS than those three, unless of course one or more of them bomb technically.
But she certainly adds some diversity and excitement in Ladies skating. Not even Russian babies fans want this total domination.

pinky166
10-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Joannie Rochette. Enough said. :P

Actually she is a lot like Rochette in her early years. And Rochette did become artistic eventually, it just took awhile. But Rochette never had the 3-3s and jump consistency Gracie already seems to have, and she's Canadian so the competition wasn't as tough, but Rochette at 16 was definitely a far cry from the Rochette that won Olympic bronze last year. So maybe Gracie will find a way to stand out among all the competition in the US.

victoriaheidi
10-15-2011, 07:02 PM
There are like 30 top level Russian girls out there. So better clarify who you are talking about.
But honestly, the Gold girl is good but not even close to the Russian triumvirate of J.A.L.
It's pointless to compare the scores across the competitions. She will not get higher PCS than those three, unless of course one or more of them bomb technically.
But she certainly adds some diversity and excitement in Ladies skating. Not even Russian babies fans want this total domination.

The difference to me is that Gracie is a little older and probably has already had her growth spurt. I love the trio, too, but I'm not sure how they'll handle puberty.

smarts1
10-15-2011, 07:28 PM
I was gonna say she sort of reminds me of a butch American version of Shelepen. They both have big jumps, hard combos, and long limbs but I think even Shelepen has more artistry than Gracie at this point. Plus Gracie's buffed body type isn't going to due her any favors if she tries to become more lyrical and elegant, she's a power skater and will probably always be one. That said, she is an extremely talented jumper and that alone will take her far. She started skating when she was 8 and I think that explains a lot, her in-between skating just seems a little lacking to me. But obviously the judges love her! And I do think she can definitely win the junior title at nationals this season. That being said there are soo many talented ladies in the US right now that it's hard to tell if Gracie will go anywhere or not.

Are you kidding me? That kid is definitely going places. I mean who has jump technique like that anymore coming out of juniors in the US? And triple-triples that solid? Gracie could very well contend for a spot in Sochi. There is almost no way her jumps will fall apart, unless she proves to be a headcase, which will be depressing to say that least.

Of course, she does have some things to work on, like her in between moves, some of her spins, her polish, but she has such a strong jump foundation and jump talent that she will be a strong contender in the years to come.

query5
10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
she keeps going, she is going to be a factor in senior nationals.
she is very fluid, shows promise of mental prowness and here i come attitude. watch me skate,
for me very few skaters pulled that off
michelle, tara, irina, mao, yu-na, carolina zhang when she first showed up, plus the young russians, adelina, elizaveta, julia, kanako at senior gp event last year

koatcue
10-15-2011, 07:39 PM
she keeps going, she is going to be a factor in senior nationals.
she is very fluid, shows promise of mental prowness and here i come attitude. watch me skate,
for me very few skaters pulled that off
michelle, tara, irina, mao, yu-na, carolina zhang when she first showed up, plus the young russians, adelina, elizaveta, julia, kanako at senior gp event last year

+Mirai)

Eris
10-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Shelepen has more artistry than Gracie? :eek:

I can't see that at all, sorry.

Agree.
Gracie's lines are way better than Polina's, Polina skates rather awkwardly and all her moves seem unfinished. And I don't know if she can be more flawless and musicial. Her this year SP is definetely a step forward but still...
Gracie needs to work on her posture and all these moves in between, try to express the music, and it doesn't seems THAT impossible. Her FS is more about the jumps but in SP she tries to skate to the music, imo.

victoriaheidi
10-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Agree.
Gracie's lines are way better than Polina's, Polina skates rather awkwardly and all her moves seem unfinished. And I don't know if she can be more flawless and musicial. Her this year SP is definetely a step forward but still...
Gracie needs to work on her posture and all these moves in between, try to express the music, and it doesn't seems THAT impossible. Her FS is more about the jumps but in SP she tries to skate to the music, imo.

Let's just put it this way: Gracie skates like a young woman. Polina skates like a teenage girl. JMO

mapleleaf
10-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I assume most of the Gracie haters are Russian 'patriots' or 'sympathizers'? The truth is most of those Russian babies will likely vanish once puberty monsters strike while Gracie will still be there...

Sylvia
10-15-2011, 07:49 PM
This thread doesn't need to be a USA vs. Russia ultra-nationalistic fan war, IMO.

koatcue
10-15-2011, 07:55 PM
Where the hell does it come from?? "Russian haters of Gracie" XD

Triple Butz
10-15-2011, 08:10 PM
I doubt it..She is almost 17 by the way. It's a must-do nowadays to have some 3-3 and 2ax-3toe. I like her speed but I can't help but think that she skates through the music(( She isn't that elegant either..
There is still a lot of work to do for her.Right now I don't buy her programme. Talent?Yes. Time to improve basics? Not so much

So where're Yasmin's? :P

I love Yasmin as an artist, but her jumps are iffy and she's never been close to getting a 3/3 or 2a/3t and skips the 3loop entirely so she's never going to get a tech score anywhere near Gracie, who is basically Yuna Kim with a 3loop in terms of jumps.

chipso1
10-15-2011, 08:11 PM
This thread doesn't need to be a USA vs. Russia ultra-nationalistic fan war, IMO.

I agree.

Gracie did very well here, and she's the 2nd best JGP skater this season, IMO. It's a shame she didn't have two events, but this will be a nice foundation for her to build upon for Sectionals, Nationals, and (hopefully) Junior Worlds. Her jump technique is so spot on that she will be a huge factor for Sochi if she can stay injury free.