PDA

View Full Version : Gracie Going 4 Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

kwanatic
10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm afraid that Adelina hasn't competed yet due to the growth spurt=(
It'll be a pity

I think Adelina is pretty much done growing, or at least I hope she is. Wiki listed her at about 5'3" last season...I'd say another inch or half an inch and she's done. She was much smaller back in 2009. I've seen videos of her from then where she was much more petite and tiny.

Just to compare, in this picture (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2011+junior+world+championships+figure+sk ating&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1012&bih=490&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=fUGpOfZuUgZxEM:&imgrefurl=http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp%3Fid%3D68113&docid=z7-HVDprYogRCM&imgurl=http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2011/03/05/HTiGfSvh.jpg&w=275&h=235&ei=qNaeTpfpMcPh0QHG2piXCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=425&vpy=190&dur=4076&hovh=188&hovw=220&tx=109&ty=175&sig=102515082421695439506&page=5&tbnh=116&tbnw=122&start=44&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:44) she looks like she'd be about 5'3". Agnes is listed at 5'6" (rather tall for a skater) so that looks about right. Liza T was so small! :D She's listed at 5'1.5" now and that looks about right as well. She's definitely grown since junior worlds. But on that picture, she looks closer to 4'11"...

oleada
10-19-2011, 03:16 PM
I think if there were a video of Adelina's skate it would have been posted.

pinky166
10-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Just to compare, in this picture (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=2011+junior+world+championships+figure+sk ating&hl=en&sa=X&biw=1012&bih=490&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=fUGpOfZuUgZxEM:&imgrefurl=http://web.icenetwork.com/events/detail.jsp%3Fid%3D68113&docid=z7-HVDprYogRCM&imgurl=http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2011/03/05/HTiGfSvh.jpg&w=275&h=235&ei=qNaeTpfpMcPh0QHG2piXCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=425&vpy=190&dur=4076&hovh=188&hovw=220&tx=109&ty=175&sig=102515082421695439506&page=5&tbnh=116&tbnw=122&start=44&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:9,s:44) she looks like she'd be about 5'3". Agnes is listed at 5'6" (rather tall for a skater) so that looks about right. Liza T was so small! :D She's listed at 5'1.5" now and that looks about right as well. She's definitely grown since junior worlds. But on that picture, she looks closer to 4'11"...

Well Agnes looks more than 3" taller than Adelina in that pic, but she's also listed as 5'7" now, so maybe now Adelina is 5'3", but in that pic she looks more like 5'1" or 5'2" and all last season I had a hard time believing she was that height, just because usually when a skater reaches the 5'3" or 5'4" mark, she will look "tall" on the ice, and Adelina looked long-legged, but not tall. For example, comparing Adelina to Polina Shelepen, who is listed as 163 cm (5'4", though that is from last season and she has probably grown since), Polina looked much, much taller on the ice, 3 cm is not adequate to describe the difference. Further, Adelina last season had no curves to speak of so I kind of doubt she is only going to grow an inch maximum.

As for Liza, she was listed as 156 cm (5'1.5") all last season and she was definitely nowhere near that tall and probably is still under that. There were pics from the JGP in Dresden showing Liza and Polina Agafonova (listed 145 cm or 4'9" last season, and though she appears to have grown substantially since then, her height has not been changed for this season) next to each other and they were the same height. Liza is super tiny still.

So basically I wouldn't trust what is listed on ISU bios. Liza's is clearly inflated and Adelina's may have been too.

Michael O'C
10-20-2011, 11:10 AM
I was very impressed with what I saw of Gracie. I hope she reaches her full potential. And yes, there are many other promising girls too. It's all good for us, think how exciting contests will be over the next few years.

Susan M
10-20-2011, 03:38 PM
I was very impressed with what I saw of Gracie.
I was impressed by her technical soundness, but in the overall sense, I found her to be fairly ordinary. I did not see any particular interpretive abilities or any instinct for moving to music. The star quality of the really great skaters like Baiul and Yamaguchi was already very evident at this age.

I'm afraid that Adelina hasn't competed yet due to the growth spurt=(
It'll be a pity
She may end up having a lost year like Nagasu in 2009 adjusting to her extra inches. Better this year than next, anyway.

RumbleFish
10-20-2011, 04:28 PM
I was impressed by her technical soundness, but in the overall sense, I found her to be fairly ordinary. I did not see any particular interpretive abilities or any instinct for moving to music. The star quality of the really great skaters like Baiul and Yamaguchi was already very evident at this age.

She may end up having a lost year like Nagasu in 2009 adjusting to her extra inches. Better this year than next, anyway.

Didn't she have a lost year 09-10 season? Is it often that skaters have multiple lost years due to growth spurts?

Susan M
10-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't she have a lost year 09-10 season? Is it often that skaters have multiple lost years due to growth spurts?
Some skaters (especially girls) never do recover their jumping consistency after puberty, but we have strayed from the topic. (The growth spurt quote above related to Adelina and Nagasu, not Gold.)

RumbleFish
10-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Some skaters (especially girls) never do recover their jumping consistency after puberty, but we have strayed from the topic. (The growth spurt quote above related to Adelina and Nagasu, not Gold.)

IIRC, Miss Sotnikova had an off-year due to a growth spurt after winning the Rus Nats in 09. Then she came back strong last season to win all the Junior events, but it seems she is having another spurt this season. I found this rather strange.

Anyway, let's get back to topic and discuss further whether Gracie will have her and her countrywomen for breakfast. :D

Autumn_girl
10-20-2011, 05:00 PM
IIRC, Miss Sotnikova had an off-year due to a growth spurt after winning the Rus Nats in 09. Then she came back strong last season to win all the Junior events, but it seems she is having another spurt this season. I found this rather strange.

Anyway, let's get back to topic and discuss further whether Gracie will have her and her countrywomen for breakfast. :D

Adelina is okay, she is healthy and ready for season. She is listed to compete at the Russian cup event this weekend.
And I think it will be her who will have Gracie for breakfast :P

RumbleFish
10-20-2011, 05:10 PM
Adelina is okay, she is healthy and ready for season. She is listed to compete at the Russian cup event this weekend.

Bon Apetite! :lol:

pinky166
10-20-2011, 09:33 PM

This actually isn't that uncommon, my guess is she shot up in height in 09-10 and now is going through the filling out phase of the growthspurt. When Mao won the GPF in '05, she had already grown pretty tall compared to the previous season, but then in 06-07 she had big consistency issues again when she started to fill out into her adult shape. Mirai went through a very intense growthspurt, gaining several inches and pounds over the course of a year, maybe less, but then has not really grown much at all since. Not everyone goes through one intense growthspurt and is then done though, it's also common to go through two or three smaller ones during the teen years, and in all honesty it's probably easier to adjust that way. Caroline has changed tremendously since she was 14, but it didn't happen all at once like it did for Mirai, instead more gradually.

luenatic
10-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Gracie Gold is so talented! She needs to work on her spins more. She does seem to rush instead of paying attention to details. If this was her international debut, I'm totally impressed. I hope we can see more of her in the future. I'm a fan!

zippy
10-20-2011, 10:27 PM

Such cannibalism among these girls! :eek: :lol:

Jammers
10-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Mirai started the 09-10 season slow but got better with each event until Nationals where she was spectacular then of course the Olympics where she finished in 4th place. In any other Olympics should would have won a medal.

Jarrett
10-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Mirai started the 09-10 season slow but got better with each event until Nationals where she was spectacular then of course the Olympics where she finished in 4th place. In any other Olympics should would have won a medal.

I thought they were referring to Adelina?