PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Louise
10-17-2011, 02:11 AM
I had no idea that skaters got paid to appear at Nationals.

I thought I read that Cohen was paid $$$ to skate at 2010 Nationals, and that's why she showed up even though she was unprepared. I wonder how we could find that out?

PeterG
10-17-2011, 05:21 AM
I thought I read that Cohen was paid $$$ to skate at 2010 Nationals, and that's why she showed up even though she was unprepared. I wonder how we could find that out?

:huh: Nobody I was sitting with at 2010 Nationals thought Cohen looked unprepared.

caseyedwards
10-17-2011, 06:01 AM
Cohen had a lot of mistakes on jumps in her free skate but I don't think that was because of lack of preparation. She looked all set and non-jump things were all there and I think done well.

briancoogaert
10-17-2011, 01:35 PM
:confused:
She wasn't perfect, but she has never really been perfect, even when younger and as a full-time athlete.
Her programs were well prepared. So, I don't think she was unprepared.

museksk8r
10-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Her programs were well prepared.

You think so? I thought her LP looked the most empty choreographically and transition-wise of anything I've ever seen her do in competition. To paraphrase Rodzilla, she looked like she phoned in her LP, IMO.

nubka
10-17-2011, 03:41 PM
You think so? I thought her LP looked the most empty choreographically and transition-wise of anything I've ever seen her do in competition. To paraphrase Rodzilla, she looked like she phoned in her LP, IMO.

I was there in the front row watching her. While I didn't feel that she "phoned it in," I did feel like she was uber nervous/not into the program/just concentrating on the next element. :(

victoriaheidi
10-17-2011, 06:05 PM
Eh, still not buying it. There are too many people out there who think Michelle Kwan won an Olympic Gold Medal or that Kristi Yamaguchi is still competing for me to buy the idea that Evan's reputation would be significantly tarnished if he didn't win at Skate America this year.

Agreed. I don't really think his reputation would take as much of a hit OUTSIDE the skating world. I know he was on DWTS and all, but there are still many, many people who don't even know who he is. They aren't going to care that an OGM they've never heard of went to a competition they've never heard of and lost to someone they've certainly never heard of.

We will care, but we would care even if Evan weren't OGM.

Lacey
10-17-2011, 06:14 PM
So I wonder what arrangements or agreement Evan was referring to when he mentioned Nationals.

If they are paying Evan to go to Nationals, then they are tainting the competition. Of course we really don't know, it's a lot muddled, but if I was angry about SA, then I would be really pi$$ed about Nats.

nlyoung
10-17-2011, 07:47 PM
A dispute over envelope funding seems far more likely to me.

Sasha'sSpins
10-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Darn but I knew this was coming.

Sasha'sSpins
10-17-2011, 08:47 PM
I wouldn't. Prize money, Ralph Lauren, DWTS . . .

Wasn't there a thread a while back with photos of Evan's new spread? IIRC it looked pretty ritzy. A pauper like me couldn't afford it. :D

You need to do some serious reading on moral and income relativism….. :D

Who are you to decide how much money he has a right to earn by legitimate methods, and how much money is enough for him?

There are people who think that you sit in your comfortable (probably) North American residence, with clean running water, electricity, safe neighborhood, playing on your at least $600 USD computer and having time on your hands to chat on forums….. while some children live in 1 room clay huts, sleep on the floor with 10 other family members, have no water, no toilets, eat mush, and work sunrise to dusk in a bean field…. Well, they think that next time you should not buy a computer to chat on forums and send the 600 USD to them so they can buy a year’s worth of food… :D

North American youth with your kind of attitude should be beaten with a belt! and beaten HARD!:mad:

:respec:

The snarky comments by some that replied to your post is unfortunate. Clearly those folks have never known a day of want or doing without.

I've read some of the snarky comments on Evan's apartment condo, and his furnishings which apparently come's cheap to some. There must be some pretty rich posters here. :shuffle: Not all of us could afford such accomodations living alone. Maybe with a roommate-or two. Some people have gone to live back with their parents after losing their jobs in this hard economy. This coming from someone who has boarded in rooms before to save as much as I could for a car, and other necessities.

Evan may or may not be a millionaire but he's got to be at least upper middle class to be able to afford Frank Carroll and all the expenses that skating incurs. Unless he's got a sponsor like some skaters do. I doubt it. I think he's pulled in some nice change thanks to his Olympic Gold medal and more power to him if he has-and will continue to do so.

numbers123
10-17-2011, 09:37 PM
He said he hoped they'd come to an agreement by Nationals. That doesn't mean the agreement involves appearance fees for Nationals.

My big guess is that he wants funding for training expenses similar to what he would have gotten in envelope funding if he had skated last year and qualified for an envelope. But it's just a guess.

Eh, still not buying it. There are too many people out there who think Michelle Kwan won an Olympic Gold Medal or that Kristi Yamaguchi is still competing for me to buy the idea that Evan's reputation would be significantly tarnished if he didn't win at Skate America this year.

This, I don't always understand the funding/envelopes for training/competing, but would think that the financial agreement issues have to do with this.

I also have had people ask me if Tara was still competing, so I don't think that it would be a big deal outside the skating world.

Ziggy
10-17-2011, 10:00 PM
A dispute over envelope funding seems far more likely to me.

I don't believe that.

Envelope funding covers only a small proportion of the costs anyhow. Even for the skaters in envelope A.

And Evan is loaded. He can easily afford his costs now.

Evan may or may not be a millionaire

He is. Read the thread. 2,5 million dollars earned last year + unreported earnings + money earned since then.

query5
10-17-2011, 10:03 PM
okay here is my take, Evan basically stated due to finances he wouldn't be going.
so he should have stated this to the usfsa if i don't get xxx amount of dollars i am not going to gp events and don't put my name in for the gp series.
it appears maybe nationals.
he should have been more clearly stating saying only ( i am coming back for sochi only)
once he saw his name in gp series -both i think kinda of knew the hangup was money so they should have kept his name out until it was approved by both sides

Iceman
10-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Didn't USFS throw money at da Kween back in the day?

Yes, she wasn't scheduled to skate at any of the gp events one year and as I recall, one of the usa entries had to withdraw from S Canada, and the pot was sweetened to get her to compete there. Even though she skated in that one event only, she still had enough points to earn a place in the finals, but didn't compete.