PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Oreo
10-16-2011, 06:07 AM
But injury was not the reason he gave for not competing. AFAIK he never officially acknowledged an injury himself.

Lysacek's official statement: http://www.whosay.com/evanlysacek/content/125472?code=RnJR3o

If he were really that "extremely trained and eager to compete at Skate America" why would a "suitable [financial] agreement" be needed as well?

There's always a remote possibility his withdrawal isn't for financial reasons. A "suitable agreement" could mean other things. None of us know for sure, and it's all speculation at this point.

victoriajh
10-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Something tells me we are going to hear the details very soon. This is way too fishy. One of the wealthiest skaters in the world is pulling out of the GP because the usfsa isn't giving him enough money? He has sponsors, gets money from headlining a tour, and was paid to be in a reality tv show. He has to be a multi-millionaire now. Does he NEED money from the usfsa at this point in his life? Absolutely not. What an ungrateful you know what!
Good luck to Razzano. When his jumps are on, they are amazing to watch.

This...

Japanfan
10-16-2011, 06:56 AM
There's always a remote possibility his withdrawal isn't for financial reasons. A "suitable agreement" could mean other things. None of us know for sure, and it's all speculation at this point.

It's hard to imagine that Evan would return to competition for the money. I don't think money is a sufficient motivator for training at an elite level. Plus, Evan is a wealthy man and can make more money through sponsorships and shows than competing.

If the agreement is about money, perhaps he's gotten greedy. But if that is the reason he pulled out the GP it would seem he was not that serious to begin with.

Jaana
10-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Who does Evan think he is? Kwan? :rofl:

LOL, not Kwan as he is an Olympic champion, the reigning Olympic champion...

Jeschke
10-16-2011, 12:03 PM
LOL, not Kwan as he is an Olympic champion, the reigning Olympic champion...

stop twisting the knife in my wounds :D

Zokko!
10-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe someone paid him the double money in order NOT to appear again and it worked. (And i swear it wasnt me!):sekret:
Me. :slinkaway
Now I only have to convince Chan as well ...

crystalice
10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Me. :slinkaway
Now I only have to convince Chan as well ...

I am in! ;)

kwanette
10-16-2011, 01:32 PM
My honest opinion is that Evan probably didn't feel that he wanted to get back into the competitive grind when there are people who could dethrone him. That never looks good.

That could be said about many "champions", tho' I have never understood it. How can an OGM be "tarnished"? If a champion is secure enough with his/her win, why care?

peibeck
10-16-2011, 04:57 PM
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me why Lysacek would have agreed to let the USFS enter him into SA if they had not agreed to some sort of contract at (or before) that time.

I wonder exactly how much difference there is between what the USFS was willing to offer and what Evan expected? I'm guessing it must have been a fairly substantial amount. :watch:

haribobo
10-16-2011, 05:30 PM

I can't think of what else this could mean? A private locker room? A swanky hotel room? I've never in all my years of skating fandom heard a skater use this excuse for pulling out of a competition. And was the USFS supposed to provide "a suitable arrangement" for his competing at TEB also? Or did he just not feel like doing that one? This whole thing is just bonkers.

ANYWAY, I wasn't really looking forward to seeing him skate anyway and I'm really happy for Razzano to get the spot- he's been a good little soldier the past few years and its really fantastic for him to finally get a chance to score a season's best. Its really a big shame we can't get Messing, Aaron, and Carriere on there too somehow. Three great skaters who won't be getting a SB score this year unless they make the 4CC or Worlds team. Its so frustrating that B comps don't count for anything!

Coco
10-16-2011, 07:17 PM
Here's the thing - does he have anywhere else to skate during the week before or after for a comprable amount of $$ and exposure?

He doesn't have a ton of leverage here, given the state of skating.

I wonder if he was just nervous about the impact on his earning potential of a less than brilliant skate?

Louise
10-16-2011, 07:32 PM
That could be said about many "champions", tho' I have never understood it. How can an OGM be "tarnished"? If a champion is secure enough with his/her win, why care?

I agree. A Wimbledon champ doesn't stop competing at Wimbledon anymore for fear of it 'tarnishing' his win. Most people know that in sports, winning can be due to myriad things: luck, favorite sick/injured, everyone else fell more, everything worked like a miracle that day, who knows. An athlete competes, you win some, you lose some. That's why Kwan became such a brand in the sport. She kept competing, and most of the time winning, sometimes not. That's what I would hope sportsfans want to see than a one hit wonder hiding from further competition to 'preserve' their champion status.

I was really hoping to see Evan at SkAm, but I'm not surprised. I just wonder how much $$$ he thinks his presence is worth? It could come back to bite him, having a hardsell agent. Brian Boitano lost a bunch his first year because his agent thought he was worth something crazy like 50K or 100K a NIGHT. Sale and Pelletier also lost a lot due to their agent. The market is not so great right now, it might be better to accept lower fees than no fees for a week's worth of competing.

centerpt1
10-16-2011, 07:36 PM
This whole situation makes no sense to me.

Evan had the perfect excuse to drop out of SA (actually 2 perfect excuses).....he set up the whole "I'm injured" thing by wearing the leg brace around where he could be seen. He also did interviews saying he might not be ready, even though he was training. These are acceptable reasons for missing SA.

So why risk his "image" or the "I-work-and-train-harder-than-anyone" branding? Surely he knew this would make him look unsportsmanlikke, ungrateful, money grubbing? Evan has always seemed all about the image so I'm really confused.

Not only that, but he's taken on a fued with USFS. He always seemed to be thier poster boy. Very odd. Very, Very odd.

There has to be more to this story.

IS Evan the good guy who has decided to stand up to the fed? (Thereby helping skaters that aren't in the financial position to do so?)

OR is he all about himself?

OR is there something we are not yet aware of?

PDilemma
10-16-2011, 07:37 PM
I think that for so long we saw Olympic athletes leaving their sports/going pro after winning because of the restrictions on earnings that fans are used to the idea that an OGM winner does not continue. So there is a notion that in skating, you go out on top and the OGM is the top.

It really is a silly notion and not reflective of sports as a whole.

Carolla5501
10-16-2011, 07:55 PM
I can't think of what else this could mean? A private locker room? A swanky hotel room? I've never in all my years of skating fandom heard a skater use this excuse for pulling out of a competition. And was the USFS supposed to provide "a suitable arrangement" for his competing at TEB also? Or did he just not feel like doing that one? This whole thing is just bonkers.

ANYWAY, I wasn't really looking forward to seeing him skate anyway and I'm really happy for Razzano to get the spot- he's been a good little soldier the past few years and its really fantastic for him to finally get a chance to score a season's best. Its really a big shame we can't get Messing, Aaron, and Carriere on there too somehow. Three great skaters who won't be getting a SB score this year unless they make the 4CC or Worlds team. Its so frustrating that B comps don't count for anything!

You may never have "heard" of it, but I am almost 100% sure it's happened before.