PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]

Ziggy
10-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I dont know if this was touched on or not but I really didnt like what Sandra and Scott said on the telecast at Skate America regarding Evan making decisions based off of finance.

We've talked about it for the last x pages... :rolleyes:

As MacMadame said, the amount of money USFS earns from SA would only be (potentially) marginally higher if Evan competed, so no he doesn't warrant an appearance fee. He can compete for the prize money like everybody else. :P

I don't blame Evan, I blame the ISU for paying skaters appearance fees in the first place.

Huh? ISU isn't paying skaters appearance fees. Where did you get that from?

judiz
10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
Not necessarily. Evan never publicly stated that he would compete at SA. One month prior to SA, Evan was quoted as saying that he had not committed to competing at SA. Furthermore, many skating fans opined well before SA that Evan would never compete again. Thus, you can't guage what Lysacek's affect was on ticket sales at SA when it appeared from the beginning that the likelihood of him competing was slim to none.

Evan never publicly said he would compete but when he gave USFS the okay to enter his name, he was telling the federation he planned on competing, the same as every other skater entered in the competition.

If Evan didn't know if he wanted to skate at SA or not, he should had said no to the offer and allowed another skater more time to prepare.

As is pulling out one week prior, in my opinion was unacceptable unless it was due to injury or family emergency.

aliceanne
10-30-2011, 02:47 AM
We've talked about it for the last x pages... :rolleyes:

As MacMadame said, the amount of money USFS earns from SA would only be (potentially) marginally higher if Evan competed, so no he doesn't warrant an appearance fee. He can compete for the prize money like everybody else. :P

Huh? ISU isn't paying skaters appearance fees. Where did you get that from?

I meant to say that the ISU is to blame for allowing the skaters to be paid appearance fees for it's events. If it is a competition the skaters should be rewarded for their performance not their ability to generate money for the promoters.

nubka
10-30-2011, 02:52 AM
I meant to say that the ISU is to blame for allowing the skaters to be paid appearance fees for it's events. If it is a competition the skaters should be rewarded for their performance not their ability to generate money for the promoters.

Word!

crystalice
10-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Get lessons from Plush. He has squillions of dollars and he perfected the art of the flail.

You sound like you live together with the guy. :blah:

victoriaheidi
10-30-2011, 03:02 PM
You had asked if a non dedicated skating fan would be led to believe that Lysacek would compete at SA b/c of the advertising. The intent of my response was that USFSA mainly targeted the dedicated fans b/c the advertising was done via information sources that not all skating fans follow. Based on what I saw in Ontario, the local advertising ( which would be targeted to the new or casual fan) was non existent. A waiter at one restaurant and a sales clerk at a local store were oblivious to the fact that an international skating competition was scheduled in their hometown.

Locals didn't really know the event was happening. I never saw a single advertisement in my (local suburb) newspaper (I don't get the LA Times), nor did I ever hear one. I only knew because I'm here daily (and I read IN and the USFS press releases).

I don't know what the Skate America advertising budget looked like, but I can assure you that the person managing it didn't fully take advantage of it (by this, I don't mean "didn't spend it all." I mean "didn't get the most bang for his/her buck").

Also, advertise to college kids! We have a ton of schools around here and a bunch of my friends were like, "Skate America? People skating? I'll go!"
...but it was already over...:(

Ziggy
10-30-2011, 07:20 PM

But the ISU has nothing to do with it.

It's a contract between Evan and USFS.

aliceanne
10-31-2011, 12:01 AM
But the ISU has nothing to do with it.

It's a contract between Evan and USFS.

Olympic eligible skaters at one time were not allowed to get paid for skating. When Oksana went pro at age 16 and there was an explosion in pro skating in general, the ISU became concerned that they were losing their stars to pro skating. The ISU therefore decided that they would allow eligible skaters to accept prize money and appearance fees. The Grand Pre Series was started just for this purpose.

No the ISU is not handing over the money, but they ecouraged the practice. I don't have a problem with prize money, but I think appearance fees at what is supposed to be a competition is a bit much.

margiemo
10-31-2011, 02:39 AM
In the past few years the ISU is suffering too.They have decreased the prize money for the ISU events.The only places that are really thriving are Korea and Japan.Skaters are going there to do shows there now.The ISU is not getting the return it once did for figure skating events.Skate America this year (looking from tv did not have a good turnout.) It seemed much better at Skate Canada.

bek
10-31-2011, 02:41 AM
Olympic eligible skaters at one time were not allowed to get paid for skating. When Oksana went pro at age 16 and there was an explosion in pro skating in general, the ISU became concerned that they were losing their stars to pro skating. The ISU therefore decided that they would allow eligible skaters to accept prize money and appearance fees. The Grand Pre Series was started just for this purpose.

No the ISU is not handing over the money, but they ecouraged the practice. I don't have a problem with prize money, but I think appearance fees at what is supposed to be a competition is a bit much.

I don't think I really have a problem with prize money or appearance fees. Because the way I see it is if the federations/ISU makes millions of the skaters, the skaters deserved to be paid too. Well known stars are what causes people to watch the sport, and they've earned that extra money. The only concern is can skaters of smaller countries who are also stars, make similar money?

AJ Skatefan
10-31-2011, 03:11 AM
Locals didn't really know the event was happening. I never saw a single advertisement in my (local suburb) newspaper (I don't get the LA Times), nor did I ever hear one. I only knew because I'm here daily (and I read IN and the USFS press releases).

I don't know what the Skate America advertising budget looked like, but I can assure you that the person managing it didn't fully take advantage of it (by this, I don't mean "didn't spend it all." I mean "didn't get the most bang for his/her buck").

Also, advertise to college kids! We have a ton of schools around here and a bunch of my friends were like, "Skate America? People skating? I'll go!"
...but it was already over...:(

Yeah, I don't get that. If you're going to go to the trouble to host an event it seems like you'd try to get people to come. It was a great place to have Skate America, good weather, friendly people, convenient location to the airport and hotels, nice arena. The same thing happened last year in Portland. In Everett and Spokane the red carpet was rolled out; there was advertising all over town, coverage in both the newspapers and on tv, and the buzz was that if you weren't in on it, you were missing out. Looks like they did that for Skate Canada too.

kwanfan1818
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
They don't need a huge advertising budget to get the word across: Stars on Ice has a "Shine Like Stars" program, where for getting businesses to put up posters, there's an invite to the practice.

Skate America could have given practice passes or even tickets to people for putting up posters in neighboring communities, colleges, etc.

antmanb
10-31-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't think I really have a problem with prize money or appearance fees. Because the way I see it is if the federations/ISU makes millions of the skaters, the skaters deserved to be paid too.

I don't think any federation or the ISU makes millions out the skaters. Once upon a time they may have done but these days, not so much.

bek
10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't think any federation or the ISU makes millions out the skaters. Once upon a time they may have done but these days, not so much.

Well obviously now thats the case but I was implying before.

waddlercu
10-31-2011, 02:54 PM
They don't need a huge advertising budget to get the word across: Stars on Ice has a "Shine Like Stars" program, where for getting businesses to put up posters, there's an invite to the practice.

Skate America could have given practice passes or even tickets to people for putting up posters in neighboring communities, colleges, etc.

I participated in the Stars on Ice grassroots marketing program for several years until they ended it last year. Civil engineer by day, "Shining Star" by night (ouch! my ego! :D), I spent 4-5 days per year hanging posters, passing out flyers, shamelessly SPAMing my friends, etc. in order to watch practices and meet a skater. It was totally worth it to me... a priceless experience.

... until the Fan Club program came along and offered the same perks for ~$50.

That said, it's a great idea, if well-organized. I'm sure each LOC could find people willing to do the work.