PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27

overedge
10-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Shawn Johnson got $350,000 when she won DWTS (which is the standard payment for winners), but Kate Gosselin walked away with half million. :confused: Just ridiculous.

Kate Gosselin is much better known than Shawn Johnson is.

AJ Skatefan
10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I dont know if this was touched on or not but I really didnt like what Sandra and Scott said on the telecast at Skate America regarding Evan making decisions based off of finance. The event (this includes all investors, vendors etc.) stood to make a substantial amount because Evan was a key name.

I'm not so sure about that. Evan only withdrew a week before the event. Before that, they had used his picture and name on the advertising and even so, not very many tickets were sold.

Willowway
10-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Evan only withdrew a week before the event. Before that, they had used his picture and name on the advertising and even so, not very many tickets were sold.

I think AJ Skatefan has a very good point. The USFSA essentially "tested" what his presence would do by advertising him in advance. In that same period of time he was asking for a significant appearance fee. The sales/reaction probably dictated what they offered. I don't think for a minute that the poor sales had anything to do with Evan (I happen to think it wasn't an obvious place to travel to for many fans and the economy has most people cutting back on optional travel/tickets/meals/everything) but he also could not expect a significant performance fee given the poor advance (and he certainly was not a significant draw for sales).

SkateFan66
10-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I think AJ Skatefan has a very good point. The USFSA essentially "tested" what his presence would do by advertising him in advance. In that same period of time he was asking for a significant appearance fee. The sales/reaction probably dictated what they offered.

Not necessarily. Evan never publicly stated that he would compete at SA. One month prior to SA, Evan was quoted as saying that he had not committed to competing at SA. Furthermore, many skating fans opined well before SA that Evan would never compete again. Thus, you can't guage what Lysacek's affect was on ticket sales at SA when it appeared from the beginning that the likelihood of him competing was slim to none.

SkateFan66
10-28-2011, 09:10 PM
On a side note, with regard to attendance at SA, I was shocked at the total lack of local advertising for Skate America. This was in stark contrast to the amount of local advertising in Greensboro, NC for nationals.

overedge
10-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Not necessarily. Evan never publicly stated that he would compete at SA. One month prior to SA, Evan was quoted as saying that he had not committed to competing at SA. Furthermore, many skating fans opined well before SA that Evan would never compete again. Thus, you can't guage what Lysacek's affect was on ticket sales at SA when it appeared from the beginning that the likelihood of him competing was slim to none.

If you were not a dedicated skating fan, and saw a skater's picture and name on the advertising for a skating event , wouldn't you assume that that skater was going to appear at that event?

SkateFan66
10-28-2011, 09:53 PM
If you were not a dedicated skating fan, and saw a skater's picture and name on the advertising for a skating event , wouldn't you assume that that skater was going to appear at that event?

Based on the little advertising that I saw, USFSA only targeted the dedicated skating fans in the SA advertising. How many non skating fans are going to check out Skating Magazine, the USFSA website, or follow USFSA on Facebook and Twitter?

overedge
10-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Based on the little advertising that I saw, USFSA only targeted the dedicated skating fans in the SA advertising. How many non skating fans are going to check out Skating Magazine, the USFSA website, or follow USFSA on Facebook and Twitter?

And why are you assuming that all skating fans follow these information sources regularly?

SkateFan66
10-28-2011, 10:59 PM
And why are you assuming that all skating fans follow these information sources regularly?

I am not assuming that ALL skating fans follow these information sources regularly. In fact, that is one of my gripes with USFSA.... You don't grow the sport and promote skating events by targeting your advertising to information sources that only the die hard skating fans follow.

You had asked if a non dedicated skating fan would be led to believe that Lysacek would compete at SA b/c of the advertising. The intent of my response was that USFSA mainly targeted the dedicated fans b/c the advertising was done via information sources that not all skating fans follow. Based on what I saw in Ontario, the local advertising ( which would be targeted to the new or casual fan) was non existent. A waiter at one restaurant and a sales clerk at a local store were oblivious to the fact that an international skating competition was scheduled in their hometown.

overedge
10-28-2011, 11:08 PM
You had asked if a non dedicated skating fan would be led to believe that Lysacek would compete at SA b/c of the advertising. The intent of my response was that USFSA mainly targeted the dedicated fans b/c the advertising was done via information sources that not all skating fans follow. Based on what I saw in Ontario, the local advertising ( which would be targeted to the new or casual fan) was non existent. A waiter at one restaurant and a sales clerk at a local store were oblivious to the fact that an international skating competition was scheduled in their hometown.

And I would say that regardless of who the advertising is targeted to, or where it is distributed, at least some of the viewers of that advertising are going to assume that a skater appearing in the ads is going to be at the event.

SkateFan66
10-28-2011, 11:45 PM
And I would say that regardless of who the advertising is targeted to, or where it is distributed, at least some of the viewers of that advertising are going to assume that a skater appearing in the ads is going to be at the event.

True. I am sure that the FEW non-die hard skating fans that saw the SA advertising could have gotten the impression that Lysacek would be competing at Skate America. However, the die hard skating fans that saw the advertising were taking bets as to whether the announcement of Lysacek's WD from SA would be either one or two weeks before the event.

PeterG
10-29-2011, 01:16 AM
Why Kazakhstan? Why not Azerbaijan? So now Evan thinks he's too good for Azerbaijan :mad: :mad:

:sekret: say that Lysacek was leaning towards Antarctica, but couldn't find any good ice.

LilJen
10-29-2011, 01:37 AM
:sekret: say that Lysacek was leaning towards Antarctica, but couldn't find any good ice.

:rofl: I'd rep you if I could. . .

MacMadame
10-29-2011, 01:54 AM
Google DWTS and $200,000.
OKay, I did and I found.... <crickets>

Seriously the first 5 articles weren't even about DWTS and the one that was was about Chaz Bono. I :wuzrobbed:

The event (this includes all investors, vendors etc.) stood to make a substantial amount because Evan was a key name.
First of all, no GP event makes a "substantial" amount. It's been a while since I looked at USFS budgets and financials but I'm sure someone here can supply the amount for 2011 or 2012... the last I saw it was something like 100,000 in profit.

Secondly, the people who run these things find that that amount of profit produced by a single event doesn't change significantly based on who is going to show up. The competition has to have an certain overall level of quality and it helps if there are a few big names. But we're not talking about a major difference in ticket sales or attendance.

I definitely think Lysacek's name could bring in a few extra advertisers or get existing advertisers to pony up for a higher ad rate, and USFS does share in the advertising profits for Skate America, but the difference between no Lysacek and Lysacek is not enough to justify an enormous appearance fee to him just for that event.

senorita
10-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Get lessons from Plush. He has squillions of dollars and he perfected the art of the flail.
I practice every day in my living room..but after my Jane Fonda tapes.:)