PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27

Ziggy
10-28-2011, 05:14 AM
I've read that the stars on DWTS only make $20,000 a week (more for the first two) and then bonuses past a certain week. I think the total, if you win, is something like $300,000. But that of course is also hearsay.

There is no set fee that the participants get paid.

The participants' agents/managers negotiate the fee with the producers and obviously the bigger the celebrity, the bigger the money.

overedge
10-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Ditto!! Jokes aside, sometimes I do feel that some of the FSU rumors and snarks have cross the line. :shuffle:

FYI, this is not an Evan fan board. And if you think speculations about someone's financial dealings are "snarks" that are "cross[ing] the line", then maybe you should take your delicate sensibilities elsewhere. There are way worse things that are snarked about way harder all over this board.

antmanb
10-28-2011, 10:03 AM
:sekret: say that Lysacek is in talks with Kazakhstan.

Why Kazakhstan? Why not Azerbaijan? So now Evan thinks he's too good for Azerbaijan :mad: :mad:

:rofl:

I like this rumour mongering it's fun!

Japanfan
10-28-2011, 10:11 AM
I've read that the stars on DWTS only make $20,000 a week (more for the first two) and then bonuses past a certain week. I think the total, if you win, is something like $300,000. But that of course is also hearsay.

Only $20,000 a week? :eek:

That's about 1/2 to 1/3 of the average American's salary and a whole lot of people live on that or less for an entire year. And Evan came second on DWTS, right? So he got a chunk of change for that, if not $300,000. Then there are publicity gigs, speaking engagements, and what he gets paid to skate in shows as a headliner.

If money was the reason he withdrew - and really, what else could it be? - there is no need of :violin: for Evan. Even if his window of opportunity to earn money is limited, he'll make more in that window that most people do in a lifetime.

casken
10-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Google DWTS and $200,000.

arakwafan2006
10-28-2011, 03:11 PM
I dont know if this was touched on or not but I really didnt like what Sandra and Scott said on the telecast at Skate America regarding Evan making decisions based off of finance. The event (this includes all investors, vendors etc.) stood to make a substantial amount because Evan was a key name. Why shouldnt he after winning Olympics, worlds, doing dancing with the stars etc. ask for what his resume/portfolio demands? All other sports stars (reference NBA) do the same. Granted, there does have to be a compromise, i dont have a problem with Evan saying "look... I have other business ventures on the table that are going to pay me what i am worth. If you're not, then i am going to follow those other ventures." Evan wont be young and able to do quad/triple combo's forever. He wont always be within the 4 year olympic cycle after winning where he will be a reigning champ and i think that its wise for him to send the message that he values who he is. Of course, we dont know details. If Evan is being a brat then thats dissapointing. If indeed he's "growing up" and is demanding a magnitude of respect that aparently he beleives he can command, more power to him. At the end of the day, if he does nationals, the anticipation will be even greater AND he may STILL have to bow down to a competition where he's not going to make as much $$$$ as he wants.

Way to go Evan!

senorita
10-28-2011, 04:03 PM
Only 20K$ a week? I take this for a year salary -without flailing -and I m supposed to be well paid category. :p

Zemgirl
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Only 20K$ a week? I take this for a year salary -without flailing -and I m supposed to be well paid category. :p
Clearly you need to work on your flailing, then. You still have time! :lol:

aliceanne
10-28-2011, 05:06 PM
I dont know if this was touched on or not but I really didnt like what Sandra and Scott said on the telecast at Skate America regarding Evan making decisions based off of finance. The event (this includes all investors, vendors etc.) stood to make a substantial amount because Evan was a key name. Why shouldnt he after winning Olympics, worlds, doing dancing with the stars etc. ask for what his resume/portfolio demands? All other sports stars (reference NBA) do the same. Granted, there does have to be a compromise, i dont have a problem with Evan saying "look... I have other business ventures on the table that are going to pay me what i am worth. If you're not, then i am going to follow those other ventures." Evan wont be young and able to do quad/triple combo's forever. He wont always be within the 4 year olympic cycle after winning where he will be a reigning champ and i think that its wise for him to send the message that he values who he is. Of course, we dont know details. If Evan is being a brat then thats dissapointing. If indeed he's "growing up" and is demanding a magnitude of respect that aparently he beleives he can command, more power to him. At the end of the day, if he does nationals, the anticipation will be even greater AND he may STILL have to bow down to a competition where he's not going to make as much $$$$ as he wants.

Way to go Evan!

I don't blame Evan, I blame the ISU for paying skaters appearance fees in the first place. Either the Grand Prix is a show or it is a competition. As Nancy Kerrigan infamously once said, why should she care about results, when she is getting paid more than the winner just for showing up?

Ozzisk8tr
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Clearly you need to work on your flailing, then. You still have time! :lol:
Get lessons from Plush. He has squillions of dollars and he perfected the art of the flail.

Willowway
10-28-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't blame Evan, I blame the ISU for paying skaters appearance fees in the first place.

I agree that Evan did not invent appearance fees - the system is in place. He is certainly free to opt for other money-making opportunities but in a market economy you are only worth what the market is willing to pay. In this particular case, the USFSA is a micro-market of one (there is no competitor in that space); DWTS is totally different in terms of business model/revenue/fees for talent and can be compared to other entertainment ventures, for negotiation purposes, but not to eligible skating - it's an apples and oranges thing. All the key person can say when comparing the potential income from the two projects is either "let's find a number that works for both of us" and seriously negotiate based on what comparables are for that business, or "I don't wish to participate in anything that doesn't even start to pay at the financial levels I prefer."

Appearance fees are part of sports well beyond figure skating - actually, professional tennis runs on significant appearance fees for top players far more than skating where they are not that large. Where one draws a line, I don't know.

Athena
10-28-2011, 05:45 PM
On his website he lists 4 CAA contacts for bookings.

Thanks, glad to know he finally replaced the PR as well. The old one did nothing for him since SOI was over. Hopefully the change means some actions will be taken to resolve the agreement dispute by Nationals.

Athena
10-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Talking about appearance fee, it's reported that Kim K got minimum $200,000 for each public appearance :eek:, wonder who the hell are paying for that :scream:.

Shawn Johnson got $350,000 when she won DWTS (which is the standard payment for winners), but Kate Gosselin walked away with half million. :confused: Just ridiculous.

Sylvia
10-28-2011, 06:07 PM
Phil Hersh: The bottom line: Lysacek, U.S. Skating both losing in dispute between them (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-the-bottom-line-lysacek-us-skating-both-losing-in-dispute-between-them-20111028,0,4970070.column)
Excerpt:

The federation says it now gives no skater or couple more than $50,000 a year, and that is for training expenses based on past performance.

Had he signed the standard current athlete agreement, Lysacek would have received $40,000 to fund his training and other expenses. That is the maximum USFS gives to a singles skater in its "A" tier, for which just the two reigning national champions qualified this season. Three ice dance couples qualified for team compensation up to $50,000.
Czisny, Davis/White, the Shibutanis and Dornbush are listed in the Team A envelope for this season: http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

I'm not sure if Lysacek would have qualified automatically for Team A envelope funding this season based on the 2011-12 published criteria since he didn't compete last season. The envelope criteria for the 2011-12 season don't seem to be online at this time, but one of the "Additional Considerations" stated:

Athletes that were in the Team A Envelope the previous year [which Lysacek was, as I recall] and plan on continuing to compete will automatically be placed in Team C – Tier 1 if they do not meet the criteria for Team A or Team B.

ETA: However, if Lysacek's 2009 Worlds gold medal counts as being "of the previous two seasons," then this additional consideration would apply:

Consideration will be given to place the ISU World Figure Skating medalists of the previous two seasons into Team A or Team B at the discretion of the ICMS. These athletes must have retained their eligible status and must be committed to competing in the next competitive season.

Skittl1321
10-28-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the link to the Hersh article. That is actually a really good article by him.