PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27

Vagabond
10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
if you DON'T KNOW [/B]IF he asked USFSA for appearance fee to skate at TEB, why ask "Why would Lysacek be asking the USFSA for appearance money to skate at TEB?

Because I'm going as Socrates on Halloween.

And are you going as Cher Horowitz? :saint:

kwanfan1818
10-26-2011, 08:02 PM
The only thing we do know so far is that Lysacek hasn't signed a contract with USFS regardless of the terms, and, as a result, is not competing in GP under its auspices.

Sparks
10-26-2011, 08:14 PM
Correct, that's the ONLY fact I saw so far, but >90% of the posts are just gossiping. I came here hoping to find out more 'facts', but got nothing other than hearsay and rumors.

And this is different from any other thread on FSU how?

MacMadame
10-26-2011, 08:25 PM
To some extent, Sandra is probably not 100% accurate with her assessment, in that it's entirely possible for Evan, or other skaters to love to train (tho' I think most don't love that aspect), and love to compete, while at the same time desiring to win, with the end result being highly important.

I think you do have to love the process. Because the process takes up most of the time. That's to say, you train and learn new programs and go to costume fittings and train some more and this goes on for months while the competitions take up at most a week of time here and there and the actual performances take minutes. So if all you love is the competition or the performing, it's really hard to train like you need to. (We've all seen skaters who loved to perform but not train and the pitfalls they experience because of it.)

As for wanting to win, there's nothing wrong with wanting to win IMO but winning is also about who shows up that day. This not under your control. So you have to be getting something out of it besides what you get for winning or it's a lot of work for not much reward.

In Evan's case, he's a very hard worker so I do think he enjoys the process as much as winning. He's also pretty strategic and analytical about it all. That can get you through when you don't win everything as you recognize that not all competitions are equal and that it's impossible to win all the time and except it when maybe another skater with a less analytical approach would be crushed.

I was thinking a bit about this when the commentators were saying that the leader after the short shouldn't have taken out some of his harder jumps as this advice from his coaches would be interpreted by him as the coaches not having confidence in him. But Evan does stuff like that all the time and (1) it works for him and works quite well and (2) those same commentators praise it as a smart move. IOW, it is a smart way to compete for someone like Evan who is analytical and understands skating strategically, but not smart for all skaters.

peibeck
10-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks dear, I'm totally fine, and what you said is exactly my point.

All I'm trying to say is that if you DON'T KNOW IF he asked USFSA for appearance fee to skate at TEB, why ask "Why would Lysacek be asking the USFSA for appearance money to skate at TEB?" ;)

TEB is being broadcast by NBC. Presumably as the Olympic champion Lysacek's program would be aired. Presumably that benefits the USFS (even if they are not getting any direct revenue from the event). It's not really inconceivable for Evan's agent to have been working on a contract which covered both his assigned GPs + Nationals. (Which also seems to be what was said in the Hersh article). When it became obvious no contract settlement would be ready by Skate America the game plan changed. Evan would skip the GPs and hope to get a new contract just to cover US Nationals.

Yes, this is solely my supposition. However, as someone who worked in the entertainment industry for many years, I can gaurantee you "package deals" are frequently done.

I think Evan's agency approached the USFS solely with the thought that he is the Olympic Champion, and the USFS looked at the expected ad revenue and sad ticket sales for Skate America and simply had to make a sound financial decision. I don't really think there is some great harm or foul on either parties part.

REO
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Perhaps Evan ditched Skate America because of the money thing but is ditching TEB because he doesn't want his first outing to be against Chan. If he lost that would make him look bad as OGM.

aliceanne
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
I say the same thing about him I said about Yuna. If he really intended to compete again he'd be out there doing it. Two seasons away from competition is a lot of lost time to make up for, both technically and politically.

Ziggy
10-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I was a bit surprised at how harsh Scott was being vis-a-vis Evan during the broadcast. He doesn't even know the exact reason as Evan declined to comment - yes we all think it's money but that's just speculation. Given that Scott wants Evan to be on SOI for many more years, you'd think he'd just try to gloss over the issue to make Evan seem more favorable to the public!

If somebody declined to comment, I'd be harsh on them as well.

I mean you were given a chance to set the record straight but you declined. So it's fair game.

He needs to figure out what his next step is going to be. He has made a lot of money since his Olympic win, but that money won't last forever, especially if he's living the life of someone who stays at $1,000+/night hotels on vacation.

It will. It's called "investement." :P

If somebody earns more than one million dollars a year, if they invest a small part of that wisely, they can keep on going.

Especially given, he's still earning money.

Apparently, the new agent asked the USF for 200K as an appearance fee for Evan. (In the hey day, the Kween was paid 50K). The amount was so shocking that USF did not make a counter. The new agent then asked for 100K. By then, the USF had "moved on", simply telling the agent that Evan could come compete for the prize money. The rest is tweeted. Had the agent been in the realm of possibilities in the first place, an agreement would have been reached. (The agent is apparently not aware of the dismal financial state of USF and ISU).

Yes, no one at Skate America, except those talking about the above.

If that's true, then the stupidity of Evan's team is beyond :rolleyes:.

Why would Lysacek be asking the USFSA for appearance money to skate at TEB? :confused:

Well if he's declining from one, why would he do the other? It probably was a 2-for-1 deal.

It's also a fact, thought, that NO-ONE knows for sure what is actually behind that contract that didn't get worked out between him and USFS. All we've heard regarding money or otherwise is conjecture, rumor, and a lot of snarking that Evan is a money-grubbing, ungrateful jerk or that USFS used him to their advantage while denying him money. I'm not saying Evan is right or USFS is right, but I'd prefer to know facts before fingers are pointed.

Yes and none of us will ever know "the truth". Only what USFS and/or Evan's team tell us.

So you will never know "the facts".

skatemommy
10-26-2011, 08:53 PM
When Scot "texted" Evan asking why he was not skating at SkAm and Evan referring him back to his twitter response is kind of chicken crap. Why doesn't Evan's big bad agency issue a formal response instead of some cryptic tweet by Evan? I hope he's not paying big bucks for this...

Cheylana
10-26-2011, 09:34 PM
I genuinely don't understand how he's making so much money -- the $160000 Audi Hersh mentioned he bought -- but he must be making tons of appearances I don't hear about, or maybe the fees really are quite high.
I had the impression that Evan was doing well even before the OGM. He had a nice apartment in L.A., was making money off real estate ventures, and had endorsements--wasn't he in the Total Gym infomercial? The boy stays busy, and I assume he's getting paid for everything he does.

Iceman
10-27-2011, 01:15 AM
The USFSA is a nonprofit association so whatever contracts they make with skaters has to be a matter of public record I would think.

crystalice
10-27-2011, 03:21 PM
legendary thread :scream:

casken
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
The $200,000 request is believable becuase that's apparently what the "stars" get for doing "Dancing With the Stars".

RumbleFish
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
I had the impression that Evan was doing well even before the OGM. He had a nice apartment in L.A., was making money off real estate ventures, and had endorsements--wasn't he in the Total Gym infomercial? The boy stays busy, and I assume he's getting paid for everything he does.

Perhaps this is the reason why he is so keen on getting appearance fees? :P
I know a few people who lost their pants doing something of similar sorts.
Could someone elaborate more about his real estate ventures?

victoriaheidi
10-27-2011, 05:54 PM
The $200,000 request is believable becuase that's apparently what the "stars" get for doing "Dancing With the Stars".

Not even the same kind of comparison. No way USFS can afford to pay what the DWTS producers can.