PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27

Oreo
10-26-2011, 05:56 AM
Scott is right. If he wants to compete, he should have just shown up and competed. In the long run, this agent isn't doing Evan any favors, because in a few years, there's going to be a whole new crop of "stars," and Evan is not going to be commanding any big money--unless he competes.

SkateFan66
10-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Apparently, the new agent asked the USF for 200K as an appearance fee for Evan. (In the hey day, the Kween was paid 50K). The amount was so shocking that USF did not make a counter. The new agent then asked for 100K. By then, the USF had "moved on", simply telling the agent that Evan could come compete for the prize money. The rest is tweeted. Had the agent been in the realm of possibilities in the first place, an agreement would have been reached. (The agent is apparently not aware of the dismal financial state of USF and ISU).

Yes, no one at Skate America, except those talking about the above.

Just curious, do you have first hand knowledge of the details of the contract negotiations or are you just spreading hearsay?

CrazedIceFan
10-26-2011, 06:00 AM
I thought it was clear from my post that it was just hearsay. Relaying the buzz from SA.

victoriaheidi
10-26-2011, 06:02 AM
The attendance at Skate America was very poor. However, I think that the location of the event had more to do with the poor attendance, than which skaters were competing in the event. With nationals only three months away in San Jose, many die hard skating fans had to chose between attending Nationals or attending Skate America. IMO, had USFSA held Skate America on the east coast, the attendance would have been much better. Furthermore, during the Fall, it is harder to attract your non-uber skating fans to an event because there are so many other events competing for the entertainment dollar (high school FB, college football, etc.)

The attendance was definitely not as high as I expected. But I'm selfishly glad it was held close to home. I'm also super-selfishly glad because, if anyone was around when this happened, I'm the one who won the free tickets to Nationals. See you all in San Jose! :)

But seriously, I agree that it should be more evenly divided. If SA had been held somewhere on the east coast, it would have been better. At the same time, I wonder if the venue itself just doesn't lend itself to a huge figure skating crowd.

SkateFan66
10-26-2011, 06:09 AM
I thought it was clear from my post that it was just hearsay. Relaying the buzz from SA.

Just wondering, b/c I was at Skate America and heard no such "buzz."

CrazedIceFan
10-26-2011, 06:14 AM
thats odd, given there was only 8 or 9 of us there.

SkateFan66
10-26-2011, 06:26 AM
thats odd, given there was only 8 or 9 of us there.

LOL...the attendance was bad, but not that bad.

I spoke to many people and the topic of Evan withdrawing from the GP was frequently discussed. However, nobody that I taked to had heard of any specifics regarding why a contract could not be agreed on in time for Evan to compete.

I guess by this time next week, as the "buzz" spreads, the story will be that the initial offer was $500,000 and the second offer was $250,000.:rolleyes:

victoriaheidi
10-26-2011, 06:52 AM
LOL...the attendance was bad, but not that bad.

I spoke to many people and the topic of Evan withdrawing from the GP was frequently discussed. However, nobody that I taked to had heard of any specifics regarding why a contract could not be agreed on in time for Evan to compete.

I guess by this time next week, as the "buzz" spreads, the story will be that the initial offer was $500,000 and the second offer was $250,000.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I didn't really get to speak to anyone (seriously, aside from the few people associated with my school's skating community, none of whom were there, I know no one. If you're wondering which school I'm talking about, PM me). But the idea that Evan demanded that much money is just a little...I don't know, it's definitely hearsay and I'm not quantifying the demand unless an official source does.

bek
10-26-2011, 07:01 AM
Evan, as the OGM, is the one who would be giving up the most other opportunities to make money so that he could train and compete; there is no longer a COI where skaters can make money in the off searson. I hope that Evan has some other plans, if he can't do SOI this year, because he thought he would be competing. In any event, I don't think it is so horrible -- and (IMO) it shouldn't look that horrible -- that financial considerations impact his plans.

How long is Evan's money making opportunities going to last, when he's not competiting in the sport. Whereas Carly Patterson again...??? While I actually don't blame him one bit if he wants some money. One could point out continuing to compete puts Evan's name out there.

Jaana
10-26-2011, 10:47 AM
In my opinion Evan should change back to IMG, and do it real quickly.

aftershocks
10-26-2011, 11:06 AM
True as MacMadame indicated that Sandra never mentioned "joy" in her comments. No one said that she said that in any case. However, what Sandra did say fairly equates to her feeling that skaters should have passion, commitment, and a "love for training."

The following is word-for-word what was said following the exchange BittyBug listed above. Note that it was Terry who voiced the lead-in question to which Sandra responded (and during most of Sandra's comments, Scott was nodding his head, as if in agreement, at least re some of what she said). Obviously, to grasp the nuances, viewing the conversation is better than reading it:

Terry: "If you're going to come back -- and I guess it's a comeback -- he's [Evan] only been gone for a season, do you have to make sure it's for the right reason?

Sandra: "Absolutely! You have to love to train everyday. You have to want -- and he [Evan] does do that, he does love to train -- and have to want to compete. But you can't do it for the end result. You can't do it for the wins. You can set goals and work towards them, but your motivation has to be pure. And I'm sure he [Evan] knows that. He has some time to make a decision. If he's -- if he's working towards Sochi."

Scott: with a laugh "Three years. He's going to be alright."

Sandra: "But he does need to get out on the scene if he's going to do this."

Scott nods in agreement, "Absolutely. It's changed -- the landscape is changing."

Terry: "We tried to talk to Evan, but he declined our invitation for the interview. But Andrea Joyce did catch up with his coach, Frank Carroll, to talk about the skating side of his [Evan's] return to the ice."

Not surprising that Frank talks only about the "skating side."

Opening and ending of Joyce's interview with Carroll was revealing and amusing. Briefly, here is part of Frank's response to the first question about Evan's mind set and Frank's reaction:

Frank: "Well, I was surprised when he [Evan] called me and said he wanted to train and wanted to do it again. And that he was missing something... He compared it to football ..."

LOL re Evan's "football" analogy. From Frank's description of Evan's mindset, you'd think that Evan was rarin' to go and that nothing was going to hold him back, not even an ill-informed and/or greedy agent. So, on the one hand, it appears that Evan wants to get out there because he truly misses "the purity" of competing, or OTOH, he misses the competitive limelight. To some extent, Sandra is probably not 100% accurate with her assessment, in that it's entirely possible for Evan, or other skaters to love to train (tho' I think most don't love that aspect), and love to compete, while at the same time desiring to win, with the end result being highly important. In the very beginning, perhaps, it's more about enjoying the feeling of flight and the dream of competing on Olympic ice. Since Evan has already won the ultimate prize, the motivation to compete again is surely not the same as it might be if he hadn't won Olympic gold.

antmanb
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
Well I heard that Evan demanded that a goat be sacrificed to the god of hair gel on centre ice prior to the men's SPs, and that the USFS thought it was ridiculous and didn't respond so Evan's agent went back with a counter proposal of sacrificing a squirrel but by that time the USFS thought his demands were too stupid to take into account.

It's all hearsay though, but I think it's true. LOLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!

skatemommy
10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
In my opinion Evan should change back to IMG, and do it real quickly.

I agree, this new agent has not made Evan more marketable. He comes across as a demanding prima donna (deserved or not). As mentioned way upthread, it's not like Evan has anything new to show us. I've never liked his SOI routines - techno arm waving blah. New and fresh artistry would be a deal maker for me. That said, I wish him the best as well as our up and comers.

RumbleFish
10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
They must've been smoking some bad ass crack.

LilJen
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Well I heard that Evan demanded that a goat be sacrificed to the god of hair gel on centre ice prior to the men's SPs, and that the USFS thought it was ridiculous and didn't respond so Evan's agent went back with a counter proposal of sacrificing a squirrel but by that time the USFS thought his demands were too stupid to take into account.

It's all hearsay though, but I think it's true. LOLZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!ELEVENTY!!!!

:rofl: