PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Sparks
10-25-2011, 06:36 PM
:rolleyes: There was no precedent for a skater who was not competing in any discipline to skate at the US National Championships gala. Why was there an exception made for Evan? ....I found it highly unusual.

I thought it was to promote "Rise".

MacMadame
10-25-2011, 07:05 PM
What's missing from the transcript, though, are Scott's facial expressions, and those definitely imparted a more condemning tone than just the words, IIMO.
And also his tone of voice...

WildRose
10-25-2011, 07:11 PM
I would suspect the commentators know more than they are saying.
I agree. I got the impression from Tracy Wilson that she thought Evan was getting bad advice from his new agent, and that the USFA simply can't afford whatever he was demanding in the way of remuneration. It's unfortunate, because I do believe Evan is serious about returning to competition, but he has to realize that skating in the US is struggling financially, so I can understand why the commentators appeared to be frustrated with the position he has taken. It's bad for the USFA, because they are losing whatever benefit they could have gotten from having Evan in their events (at a time when they need all the help they can get), and it's bad for Evan, because he needs to be competing if he's serious about going to Sochi.

Rafter
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I wonder if Evan was wanting a big contract thinking that he sells tickets for the USFSA's events. If that is the case then it's just laughable given the absolutely pitiful audience at Skate America.

overedge
10-25-2011, 07:30 PM
It's bad for the USFA, because they are losing whatever benefit they could have gotten from having Evan in their events (at a time when they need all the help they can get), and it's bad for Evan, because he needs to be competing if he's serious about going to Sochi.

All true, but OTOH there are many other events before Sochi, so Evan missing this one is not going to kill either the USFS or his chances at a competition three years away.

Susan M
10-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I thought it was to promote "Rise".
That's what I remember as well. The USFS took pains to say he was not skating in the Gala, but in the Rise event which began immediately thereafter.

REO
10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
I wonder if Evan was wanting a big contract thinking that he sells tickets for the USFSA's events. If that is the case then it's just laughable given the absolutely pitiful audience at Skate America.

It's hard to tell from tv but I thought there seemed to be alot of empty seats.

This is a double edged sword. As OGM he could (maybe) put some butts in the seats. The more butts in the seats the more money for skating. No butts, no money to pay big fees. Same goes for SOI! Maybe, knowing how things lay, a person could be less demanding for love of a struggling sport that has been good to him. He has a right to a fair agreement but you can't get blood out of a stone and he's not the only skater or event the Federation has to shell out for.

AnnM
10-25-2011, 10:22 PM
It's hard to tell from tv but I thought there seemed to be alot of empty seats.

This is a double edged sword. As OGM he could (maybe) put some butts in the seats. The more butts in the seats the more money for skating. No butts, no money to pay big fees. Same goes for SOI! Maybe, knowing how things lay, a person could be less demanding for love of a struggling sport that has been good to him. He has a right to a fair agreement but you can't get blood out of a stone and he's not the only skater or event the Federation has to shell out for.

I was there all weekend. There were a TON of empty seats. Over more than half the arena was vacant I would guess. I ran into a small group of Evan ubers while waiting in line at the ladies' room, but it was pretty apparent that his name was not a draw for spectators.

If any skaters drew people in, they were Ricky Dornbush and Caroline Zhang, both locals.

kwanfan1818
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
ran into a small group of Evan ubers while waiting in line at the ladies' room, but it was pretty apparent that his name was not a draw for spectators.
If he wasn't there, why would he be a draw for those who were?

orbitz
10-26-2011, 12:11 AM
If he wasn't there, why would he be a draw for those who were?

I'm sure they were also interested in seeing the skating itself and not just Evan.

kwanfan1818
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
Then they probably would have been there regardless of whether his face was on the advertising.

SkateFan66
10-26-2011, 12:22 AM
I was there all weekend. There were a TON of empty seats. Over more than half the arena was vacant I would guess. I ran into a small group of Evan ubers while waiting in line at the ladies' room, but it was pretty apparent that his name was not a draw for spectators.

If any skaters drew people in, they were Ricky Dornbush and Caroline Zhang, both locals.

The attendance at Skate America was very poor. However, I think that the location of the event had more to do with the poor attendance, than which skaters were competing in the event. With nationals only three months away in San Jose, many die hard skating fans had to chose between attending Nationals or attending Skate America. IMO, had USFSA held Skate America on the east coast, the attendance would have been much better. Furthermore, during the Fall, it is harder to attract your non-uber skating fans to an event because there are so many other events competing for the entertainment dollar (high school FB, college football, etc.)

CrazedIceFan
10-26-2011, 05:09 AM
Apparently, the new agent asked the USF for 200K as an appearance fee for Evan. (In the hey day, the Kween was paid 50K). The amount was so shocking that USF did not make a counter. The new agent then asked for 100K. By then, the USF had "moved on", simply telling the agent that Evan could come compete for the prize money. The rest is tweeted. Had the agent been in the realm of possibilities in the first place, an agreement would have been reached. (The agent is apparently not aware of the dismal financial state of USF and ISU).

Yes, no one at Skate America, except those talking about the above.

manleywoman
10-26-2011, 05:14 AM
If that's accurate, then . . . wow.

caseyedwards
10-26-2011, 05:32 AM
wowzas!