PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

luCN
10-25-2011, 01:48 AM
I'm hoping for a cheesefest deathmatch smackdown: Evan vs Plushenko vs Takahashi

$$$$$$ for all. It's a win-win-win. Evan gets the cash he feels he deserves, Plushenko gets the attention he craves, and Takahashi gets the win.

And the high stakes bonus round: $$$$ for the skater that can do the most quads in 3 min.

I don't like the idea,cause I don't like to see the former two to compete.
but I love the result,Takahashi should win for the beauty of skating and intersting programs.

Iceman
10-25-2011, 02:30 AM
Evan learned well from Sonia Henie!!!!! Sonia no step on the ice unless you guarantee ..... Of course, only problem is Evan ain't no Sonja or even a Michelle Kwan without the gold. Until this, I had no idea skater's entered into such contracts with their feds. Of course, it is understandable that he wants to maximize his return before the next Olympic champion is golded, at which time he becomes a "was" (unless he happens to be that champion ).

nubka
10-25-2011, 03:24 AM
The segment should never have even been included in the broadcast, IMO. If he's not a part of the competition, then he doesn't deserve a place in the broadcast, just like he didn't deserve a place skating in the gala at last year's Nationals since he wasn't competing, JMO. :slinkaway

ITA! Evan does have stronger skating skills than Ryan, but the focus that night should have been on Ryan and all the skaters who competed that week, not the current OGM. :( :(

Off-topic, sorry.

BittyBug
10-25-2011, 04:01 AM
It's interesting reading the transcript because my impression from watching the broadcast was a much stronger statement from Scott.

Just does to show how we interpret things based on our own POV.What's missing from the transcript, though, are Scott's facial expressions, and those definitely imparted a more condemning tone than just the words, IIMO.

leafygreens
10-25-2011, 04:02 AM
This is what I don't get - if I was in "the best shape of my life," I'd want everyone to see it. He should have been out there.

REO
10-25-2011, 04:21 AM
I think Scott was a little unfair, since aftershocks is absolutely correct .... the ISU and the Federations think about money, and I doubt that Scott and Sandra commentate for free. Evan ... who is not only the one responsible for paying his bills, but also the one risking injury ... should not be the only one who is expected to work "for the joy".

But the Federation HAS to keep a bottom line. They are the business end of skating so of course they have to think about money. I agree that Evan has to pay his bills but he's not the only skater USFS has to consider. I doubt that the other US men are lining their pockets at Skating's expense. Of course Evan is the OGM and so should maybe get a bigger cut if he brings in the paying customers but is that the only reason he wants to compete? It just looks bad.

Elkmaria
10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
The segment should never have even been included in the broadcast, IMO. If he's not a part of the competition, then he doesn't deserve a place in the broadcast

Obviously you've never listened to Russian commentators, who do not seem to care about current competitors at all, as they go on and on and on about Plushenko and his quads when other people are skating :yikes: And I think Evan did deserve to be mentioned, because he was originally scheduled to compete, and the viewers had every right to know why he wasn't there.
However, judging by the transcript, I don't find Scott Hamilton's remarks that harsh. Maybe the harshness was all about his tone, but I think his disappointment is understandable - he definitely wanted to know the reasons for Evan's withdrawal (and to communicate them to the audience), but only received a very vague answer. He neither blamed Evan for anything nor speculated about things he didn't know for sure, and as for his presumable tone, he is free to show his emotions, IMHO.

As for Evan's 'notorious' performance at 2011 Nationals Gala, I still don't get why some people are so angry. You get to see one more top skater in addition to your current national champions - lucky you! Nothing to complain about. And if you dislike Evan's skating so much, you could always take a buffet break :)

Japanfan
10-25-2011, 09:44 AM
the ISU and the Federations think about money, and I doubt that Scott and Sandra commentate for free. Evan ... who is not only the one responsible for paying his bills, but also the one risking injury ... should not be the only one who is expected to work "for the joy".

I would suspect the commentators know more than they are saying.

I kind of doubt that Evan is having any difficulty paying his bills - one recent interview said he was saying in a $1000 per night Paris hotel. . . .

And it's true that if he wants to compete, he should be competing. "For the joy" seems to me a very good reason - Evan himself has said that he loves to train and compete, which means he finds joy in it. That is certainly a far more compelling motivation than money, especially for someone who has more than enough of it.

If the money was the issue and he was free to compete, he should have done so - the fact that he didn't suggests he didn't want to compete that badly. If he misses the GP he's behind the 8th ball and the likelihood of him making the American team becomes less certain.

attyfan
10-25-2011, 03:39 PM
But the Federation HAS to keep a bottom line. They are the business end of skating so of course they have to think about money. I agree that Evan has to pay his bills but he's not the only skater USFS has to consider. I doubt that the other US men are lining their pockets at Skating's expense. Of course Evan is the OGM and so should maybe get a bigger cut if he brings in the paying customers but is that the only reason he wants to compete? It just looks bad.

Evan, as the OGM, is the one who would be giving up the most other opportunities to make money so that he could train and compete; there is no longer a COI where skaters can make money in the off searson. I hope that Evan has some other plans, if he can't do SOI this year, because he thought he would be competing. In any event, I don't think it is so horrible -- and (IMO) it shouldn't look that horrible -- that financial considerations impact his plans.

Cheylana
10-25-2011, 04:01 PM
As for Evan's 'notorious' performance at 2011 Nationals Gala, I still don't get why some people are so angry. You get to see one more top skater in addition to your current national champions - lucky you! Nothing to complain about. And if you dislike Evan's skating so much, you could always take a buffet break :)
I don't think that many people are angry about it. It's just a couple of folks like museksk8r with a long-time personal hatred for Evan who are extremely bitter that Evan is a WORLD and OLYMPIC CHAMPION. :shuffle:

Pierre
10-25-2011, 05:08 PM
He needs to figure out what his next step is going to be. He has made a lot of money since his Olympic win, but that money won't last forever, especially if he's living the life of someone who stays at $1,000+/night hotels on vacation.

If it's a return to competitive figure skating, he needs to get back on the competitive ice ASAP. As reigning Olympic champ, he will receive good component scores from the judges, but he also will be expected to execute a quality competition-level program on the ice, which is difficult to do if one hasn't been competing for awhile. Unlike judges' pet Plushenko, he won't be able to skip several years and then show up during the Olympic season with a puerile routine and ugly jumps and receive a silver medal at the Olympics for his "effort".

museksk8r
10-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't think that many people are angry about it. It's just a couple of folks like museksk8r with a long-time personal hatred for Evan who are extremely bitter that Evan is a WORLD and OLYMPIC CHAMPION. :shuffle:

:rolleyes: There was no precedent for a skater who was not competing in any discipline to skate at the US National Championships gala. Why was there an exception made for Evan? The focus and spotlight should be on the competitors of the event, and to have him skate last I think takes the dynamic away from figure skating as a championship sport. US Nationals is not Stars on Ice, and I don't want to see it go in that direction either. Do athletes in other sports have an exhibition performance at championship events that they do not take part in? I don't believe so. I found it highly unusual.

SkateFan66
10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
:rolleyes: There was no precedent for a skater who was not competing in any discipline to skate at the US National Championships gala. Why was there an exception made for Evan? The focus and spotlight should be on the competitors of the event, and to have him skate last I think takes the dynamic away from figure skating as a championship sport. US Nationals is not Stars on Ice, and I don't want to see it go in that direction either. Do athletes in other sports have an exhibition performance at championship events that they do not take part in? I don't believe so. I found it highly unusual.

Lysacek was not the only skater to perform at the Gala that did not compete.

SkateFan66
10-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Why so much emphasis on the cost of Evan's hotel room? Evan joined his family in Paris for a family vacation to celebrate his younger sister's graduation from college. I could care less how much money Evan's family spends on family vacations and thought it was in poor taste when Hersh commented on the cost of the hotel in his article.

Pierre
10-25-2011, 06:06 PM
It was an observation, not a criticism. Even if you exclude the hotel cost, it's clear that he enjoys a high-class lifestyle. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but to maintain it for the rest of his life he will have to work his "brand" well and make smart business decisions. It's not like he inherited a fortune and can just coast.