PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Japanfan
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
and now, the :EVILLE: cheap USFSA isn't paying him what he is worth. His fans are always there to carry on the pity party for him too. Poor Evan! :rofl::P:blah::shuffle:

On the CBC broadcast of Skate American today Tracy Wilson said that Evan had recently switched management companies to one which dealt mostly with celebrity artists and rocks stars, but had little experience with athletes. It could be that the company wouldn't allow Evan to compete unless he received a certain amount of $$, so he had no choice but to withdraw.

Mind you, if he chose a company specializing in celebrities, he may have had it coming to him.

centerpt1
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
What exactly did Scott say about Evan not skating at SA?

Yes- what did he say?

Willowway
10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
It could be that the company wouldn't allow Evan to compete unless he received a certain amount of $$, so he had no choice but to withdraw.
Actually, it couldn't Japanfan. No management company has that degree of control over a client; that's not their job or how it works. The final decisions are the client's unless of course management is advising him that there is an existing contractual obligation that prevents him from accepting an offer (in this case, there wasn't).

Why should Scott and U.S. fed expect their favored athlete to be all about 'I'm ready to skate for the joy of it,' when ISU and all the feds are all about their bottom line?

Fantastic point, aftershocks!

crystalice
10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
:drama: Poor Lysacek is always the victim. :2faced: First, he wuz robbed by the US Nationals judges at the 2010 Nationals because he didn't get the PCS marks he deserved; next, he was victimized because the :EVILLE: Plushenko was such a poor sport and tried to steal his moment during the Olympic medal ceremony; then, :EVILLE: talentless Weir tried to threaten his character by implying that he is gay; and now, the :EVILLE: cheap USFSA isn't paying him what he is worth. His fans are always there to carry on the pity party for him too. Poor Evan! :rofl::P:blah::shuffle:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sasha'sSpins
10-23-2011, 05:35 PM
:violin::violin::violin:

For me, this has nothing to do with $$$, it has to do with his decorator's taste, lol!! :lol:

:rolleyes:

nubka
10-23-2011, 08:49 PM
:rolleyes:

Right back at ya, babe! :D

aftershocks
10-24-2011, 01:19 AM
What exactly did Scott say about Evan not skating at SA?

Maybe a clip of that portion of the NBC broadcast will eventually become available. As I recall, Scott mentioned something about having texted Evan regarding his decision not to appear at SA, and that Evan referred him to his tweeted statement. Scott questioned Evan's choice to not skate, and indicated that if Evan wanted to come back to compete, he should be out there competing -- words to that effect. This is not an exact quote. Ultimately, Scott backed off a little with the hope/ probability that everything would be worked out between Evan and U.S. Figure Skating.

BittyBug
10-24-2011, 04:23 AM
Here's a transcript of that section of the broadcast.

Terry: We teased it going to break - the return to the ice of the Olympic champion from the U.S. - Evan Lysacek - and we expected him to be here - he was going to skate in the Grand Prix, but he withdrew about a week ago. Here's the reason why he is not here now.

Evan's tweet is shown on the screen and Terry reads it.

Terry to Scott: What are your thoughts about that situation and his return?

Scott: I'm really torn because I...I love Evan and I... I just appreciate his talent....his success. As a friend, he's an incredible guy and I was thinking about him coming into Skate American so I texted him and I said, "What's going on?" And he said, "Aw. I'm just really disappointed. You know, I'm in the best shape of my life," and all these things, and then he goes, "I'm not going to be at Skate America." And I was like, "Can you tell me why?" and he goes, "I'll just kind of stick with my Twitter response."

Scott: And I read it and I was kind of like, unsure. I mean, if you're coming back to competition, compete. You know....I mean.....whether you have an agreement with U.S. Figure Skating....I mean...you know it's kind of....we're not there any more.....the business of skating has changed.

Scott: And so I was kind of confused by it I guess, and I'm still kind of trying to come to terms with it. But Evan's got a big career, he's Olympic champion, he's World champions, he's the household name in figure skating in the U.S. right now, and how he runs his career is his own, but if he's going to complete, really, he should be here.

Conversation moves to discussion about motivation to continue, with Sandra saying his motivation "needs to be pure," and then they say that Evan still has 3 years to come back, which Scott at first agrees with, but then closes by saying:

Scott: It's changing, the landscape is changing.

REO
10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks BittyBug. My interpretation is that Lysacek is asking for more money than USFS is willing to pay. "we're not there anymore...the business of skating has changed." To me that means the federation is not able to pay what they perhaps used to to their top skaters but Evan thinks he should be paid bigger bucks. I don't think he has the popularity of a Kwan or even a Cohen even though they never won Olympic gold. America loves their girls and thinks of the guys as sissies who should be playing bball or football. Not fair but that's the reality. He might be the "household name" for those of us who follow skating but I have real doubts whether most US households remember his name (and if they do it's probably mostly from DWTS) and it's only 1 year out.

MacMadame
10-24-2011, 07:31 PM
It's interesting reading the transcript because my impression from watching the broadcast was a much stronger statement from Scott. My impression is that he basically said that Evan needs to be out there competing if he really wants to come back and he doesn't need a contract with USFS to come to Skate America and he should have come and, if he doesn't, he risks the youngsters overtaking him.

But when I read it, there are a lot more ahems and qualifications and a lot of that was implied more than said.

Just does to show how we interpret things based on our own POV.

Ajax
10-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I was a bit surprised at how harsh Scott was being vis-a-vis Evan during the broadcast. He doesn't even know the exact reason as Evan declined to comment - yes we all think it's money but that's just speculation. Given that Scott wants Evan to be on SOI for many more years, you'd think he'd just try to gloss over the issue to make Evan seem more favorable to the public!

attyfan
10-24-2011, 11:23 PM
I was a bit surprised at how harsh Scott was being vis-a-vis Evan during the broadcast. He doesn't even know the exact reason as Evan declined to comment - yes we all think it's money but that's just speculation. Given that Scott wants Evan to be on SOI for many more years, you'd think he'd just try to gloss over the issue to make Evan seem more favorable to the public!

I think Scott was a little unfair, since aftershocks is absolutely correct .... the ISU and the Federations think about money, and I doubt that Scott and Sandra commentate for free. Evan ... who is not only the one responsible for paying his bills, but also the one risking injury ... should not be the only one who is expected to work "for the joy".

MacMadame
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
But Scott never said Evan should compete "for joy". It was the vapid Sandra Bezick who said something about pure motivations and posters on FSU who have been going on about joy.

I think Scott is exactly right. If Evan wants to come back, he needs to skate in competitions. In particular, he needs to be throwing his quad out there now in this season where it doesn't matter so much so that next season it's almost second nature to him.

I think he's made a mistake pulling out from the GP, but not as big a mistake as it would be to not show up at Nationals.

museksk8r
10-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Evan is not a child. And, gimme a break, the day Hamilton is harsh on Lysacek is the day hell freezes over . . . NOT gonna happen! Scott asked Evan, as "his friend", for some clarification on what was going on with his participation in Skate America, and all Lysacek could do was refer him to his twitter post, which was clear as mud. Scott probably felt slighted; it's like Evan is giving the back hand to all his biggest supporters and cheer leaders over the years. When you are a public figure and you give your audience mixed, unclear signals; of course, they are going to speculate and if you don't make an effort to set the record straight, then that's your prerogative. However, don't be surprised when rumors start spreading that are untrue when you made the decision to be so mysterious. This reeks of publicity stunt anyway; just a big tease to keep his name in the conversation towards Sochi, lest he be forgotten. :blah::shuffle: The segment should never have even been included in the broadcast, IMO. If he's not a part of the competition, then he doesn't deserve a place in the broadcast, just like he didn't deserve a place skating in the gala at last year's Nationals since he wasn't competing, JMO. :slinkaway

centerpt1
10-25-2011, 12:04 AM
I'm hoping for a cheesefest deathmatch smackdown: Evan vs Plushenko vs Takahashi

$$$$$$ for all. It's a win-win-win. Evan gets the cash he feels he deserves, Plushenko gets the attention he craves, and Takahashi gets the win.

And the high stakes bonus round: $$$$ for the skater that can do the most quads in 3 min.