PDA

View Full Version : Evan Not Competing in GP

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

judiz
10-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Skating is Evan's job and he deserves to be compensated for it.

It wasn't that long ago that people were posting about the financial difficulties the federation found itself in, due to the economy and the fact that the federation would be making little if any money from the television deal with NBC. Evan shouldn't expect the USFSA to bankrupt itself paying him.

azskatefan
10-18-2011, 05:05 AM
The only people to feel bad for in this whole situation are the fans who paid to go to Skate America and/or other events under the assumption that since he was promoted, he would be there. I don't feel bad for Evan Lysacek. I don't feel bad for U.S. Figure Skating.

victoriaheidi
10-18-2011, 06:36 AM
Let's face it, The state of men's skating in the US isn't in great shape. If it were, we wouldn't have lost a spot on the World team last year. I don't even think there is a prayer for any American man to even medal on the GP this season. Possibly Abbott or Rippon or Dornbush if they get lucky and hold it together and don't blow these quads they are working on.

Honestly, I don't think one year with many nice surprises (Dornbush! Mahbanoozadeh! Miner!) can be cast in such a negative light just because we lost a spot at Worlds.

And I disagree. I think there are several good opportunities for US men to medal on the GP.

Marroncream
10-18-2011, 06:40 AM
I'm sorry, I'm not smart, so I still can't get this money thing.
But I'm happy that a skater who is happy just to be there got the spot.

victoriajh
10-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Honestly, I don't think one year with many nice surprises (Dornbush! Mahbanoozadeh! Miner!) can be cast in such a negative light just because we lost a spot at Worlds.

And I disagree. I think there are several good opportunities for US men to medal on the GP.

Ice is slippery....anything can happen with or without Evan.....

Elkmaria
10-18-2011, 07:49 AM
The only people to feel bad for in this whole situation are the fans who paid to go to Skate America and/or other events under the assumption that since he was promoted, he would be there. I don't feel bad for Evan Lysacek. I don't feel bad for U.S. Figure Skating.

I'm one of such fans, as my decision to go to TEB was mostly driven by my wish to see Evan live (he is the only top figure skater whom I haven't seen live by now), although I realized that my chances of seeing him were quite slim. Now that Evan is out, I have to put up with seeing only Chan, Rippon, Joubert, Amodio, Kostner, Tuktamysheva, V/T, V/M, P/B... Um, actually, I don't feel particularly sorry for myself :D
And I don't want to blame or otherwise diss Evan for anything, since I have no idea what arrangement he mentioned in his statement. While it's highly likely that it has something to do with money, I don't know this for sure, so I'd better refrain from judging the situation.

dots
10-18-2011, 07:50 AM
For being figure skating fans you people are grossly misinformed on a lot of counts. First of all, to clear up what has really happened between Evan and the USFS, all of the skaters have contracts. As far back as July my friend was talking to Evan in Sun Valley and asking him about competing in SA. He said he still didn't know because he did not have a contract yet. These contracts do cover financial issues, the bigger the skater the more they would get for appearance fees, but also such issues as agreeing ot to participate in activities that would be dangerous such as skiing, surfing, snowboarding, etc.

Evan is being represented by a new management team this year, CCA, one that represents other pro athletes. Evan never said a word about the dispute being about money. Barb Reichert, a rep from USFS, told Phil Hersh that it was over finances. Evan may be worth 2.5 million dollars, but skating is his job. Right now he is not making any professional appearances. He made the statement at the presentation of his USOC athlete of the award that his goal was to try for Sochi. Everyone present applauded and was very excited. Let's face it, The state of men's skating in the US isn't in great shape. If it were, we wouldn't have lost a spot on the World team last year. I don't even think there is a prayer for any American man to even medal on the GP this season. Possibly Abbott or Rippon or Dornbush if they get lucky and hold it together and don't blow these quads they are working on.

The reason Evan does not have any pro appearances at the present is because he is dead serious about training and competing. He knew he had a lot of work to do to get ready. He turned all invitations to do Disson shows and anything else so he could concentrate on training. He does have a quad toe again. The brace that was worn on his left leg was because his left foot was acting up again because of training, but it has healed.

Skating is Evan's job and he deserves to be compensated for it. He is also the first OGM to return to competition. All the others, since Dick Button, retired after winning theirs. After spending last year touring and meeting with sponsors, etc., Evan decided that what made him the happiest was training and competing. He also knows that he does not have to win to be successful. Everday on the ice is his Olympic moment because he is doing what he loves and it is something he doesn't have to be doing. He doesn't have to prove anything to anybody. Someone made a snarky comment about Evan's ability to skate, but he has earned every skating title there is to earn. If he has done that, I think it proves he can skate. He is the most consistent skater and one with great mental toughness. He never implodes or loses his cool. Even when he is having a bad day on the ice, look at 2009 Nationals, he keeps fighting and finishes his program and completes every element.

Yes he made mistakes at 2009 and 2010 Nationals that were very disappointing to him. But those mishaps made him go back and work with his choreoghrapher for three weeks in Canada and did everything she suggested, the result being a stellar program at Worlds and a Gold Medal. A medal a Worlds trumps a medal at Nationals. Same thing at 2010 Nationals. They decided to try some new things in his program. It was a disaster so they returned to the original program. He began having problems with his old injury and therefore did everything he could to get points out of the programs he had without a quad. And we all know the results. An Olympic Gold Medal.

Evan has every right to be in negotiations with USFS. He would never be turning down a contract and withdrawing from a competition unless he really believed it was necessary. You people don't know Evan Lysacek very well at all. He is a man of honesty and integrity. He knows how important it is to be competing in order to make a run for Sochi. He isn't just out there on the ice fooling around. Dan Hollander who skated with him on the ice in Sun Valley said he never saw Evan in better shape and skate better than he did in Sun Valley. It has been rumored that he was going to keep his El Tango de Roxanne as a SP with a music change and some changes in the program. Can you imagine how great that would be? He has not announced to his fans what his FS music is. He did have to skate his programs before a review panel of judges. I think you can say he is serious about competing and not playing silly games.

Last Friday was the deadline for WD from SA. They had not settled on a contract, so Evan had to WD. If they settle before TEB, I don't know if he will be able to skate there or not. The contract has to be settled 60 days before Nationals in order for Evan to skate, which gives them 4 weeks. I hope they settle this stalemate because sides have a lot to lose. USFS has been looking for a superstar ever since the absence of Michelle Kwan. They have one now and they are fools not to negotiate with him and utilize Evan to help build up the sport. Also most of the sponsors USFS has are because Evan spent the entire past year when he wasn't touring and sometimes when he was meeting with sponsors and potential sponsors. He is a very smart man and a very good ambassador for USFS. So I say to USFS, pay up.

When Kwan stepped in for Sarah Hughes, she was paid a pretty hefty appearance fee. In the days of big TV contracts, most skaters were paid six figure appearance fees. Also, Evan did not buy an Aston Martin, he bought an Audi Sports car. I wish you would get your facts straight when you talk about a person. Also, Evan most likely got that house in Las Vegas for a song. Most of Las Vegas is on sale because of foreclosures and the house was not in very good shape when he bought it. His father did the renovations. Living in Nevada gives Evan a really good tax break because they do not have a state income tax. Evan is a smart guy and I think USFS is finding that out. They are not dealing with a young kid who is still wet behind the ears, but a grown man who knows what he is about. Give him some credit. He had no intention of WD from SA and no intention of WD from Nationals. Why would he be training so hard otherwise, learning new combination jumps and new spins, training quads, etc?

This is not the first time I have said this....

Skaters or those close to them *cough* should not read FSU because feelings are bound to get hurt. :o

First of all, I'm sure there is a good reason for Evan's wd. He seems eager to come back to competitive skating, when there is no need for it anymore, so I can totally understand if there were certain things that needed to be addressed in his contract. Understandable for sure.

What's not understandable is your know-it-all attitude :duh: Your entire post screams arrogance and any point you wanted to make fell by the wayside.

Missinformed us? Hon you obviously don't know who you're talking to. Don't give me that bullshit about Evan's integrity :violin: This is a skater who has let his federation whore his image before. Did anyone say Tanith Belbin ? :rofl: Oh that "relationship" was so...err business-like.

Now make yourself useful and tell us something we really want to know.

Is it really 8 inch. long and uncut? :EVILLE:

Sally1214
10-18-2011, 07:52 AM

Couldn't agree more.

Civic
10-18-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm glad I didn't place a bet on this. I took Evan at his word when he stated that he was going to return to eligible competition this season.:shuffle: Well, at least he's not injured.

victoriaheidi
10-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Ice is slippery....anything can happen with or without Evan.....

Very true; nonetheless, there's a lot of good stuff going on in US men's skating ATM and it'd be stupid to write the whole thing off as a decline simply because they only have two spots at 2012 Worlds.

Jaana
10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
entire post ...

Thanks so much for clearing this whole matter! :respec:

Let me introduce you to the 1994 OGM, Alexei Urmanov, and the 2002 OGM, Alexei Yagudin. I guess that must have been their evil twins out there on the ice after they won their OGMs. :shuffle:

None of them is from USA, are they? At least to me it was clear that the poster was refering to US OG male singles champions (Boitano was though forgotten, LOL, but Hayes Alan Jenkins, David Jenkins and Scott Hamilton did not come back). Besides, Plushenko is the only Russian male singles OG champion to came back after winning the OG and competing in Olympics again, not Yagudin or Urmanov (Petrenko is not Russian).

Garden Kitty
10-18-2011, 11:36 AM
Skating is Evan's job and he deserves to be compensated for it. He is also the first OGM to return to competition.

Do you mean male OGM, because Sarah returned to competition in 2003 after winning and obviously Witt did after winning her first gold? And Boitano and a number of pros returned after a break when the pros were able to reinstate their eligibility in 1994, and Plushenko returned as well.

Zemgirl
10-18-2011, 11:44 AM
None of them is from USA, are they? At least to me it was clear that the poster was refering to US OG male singles champions (Boitano was though forgotten, LOL, but Hayes Alan Jenkins, David Jenkins and Scott Hamilton did not come back). Besides, Plushenko is the only Russian male singles OG champion to came back after winning the OG and competing in Olympics again, not Yagudin or Urmanov (Petrenko is not Russian).
Oh, I see - thanks for clarifying that the OP meant that Lysacek is "the first American OGM to (plan to) return to competition which includes both the GP and presumably the Olympics, not including Brian Boitano", since Dick Button. Doesn't have quite the ring to it, I'm afraid. :rolleyes:

Yagudin, in case you've forgotten, was forced to retire due to a career-ending injury. I believe Urmanov also missed out on another Olympics due to injury. And since Evan's supposed return was to compete this season, and he hasn't qualified for Sochi quite yet, I don't see why you've decided to split hairs in that regard.

Look, I realize you're a big fan, but he's not perfect. Why not acknowledge that he has not handled this "comeback" very well?

Badams
10-18-2011, 11:53 AM
If there's anything that we Evan fans can say we are collectively aware of, it's the fact that he's not perfect. We are constantly reminded over and over again of his every flaw.:lol:

haribobo
10-18-2011, 12:21 PM
I think you can say he is serious about competing and not playing silly games.

I hope they settle this stalemate because sides have a lot to lose. So I say to USFS, pay up.

So you're saying it isn't about money, but then you're saying USFS needs to pay up? :rolleyes:

The competitors that are actually serious about competing at this point in their careers are still entered in competitions and/or have competed in summer competitions- Abbott, Rippon, Miner, Dornbush, Armin, Razzano, Carriere, Aaron, Messing, Cassar, Jason Brown, Josh Farris, etc. These are skaters who were able to put aside the BS and compete due to their love of the sport, desire to win, whatever it may be. They are strong skaters and there is no need for you to come on here slagging on them.

The fact is that Evan used to be one of these guys who would compete, now he's won Olympic Gold and suddenly that changes his ability to compete without lots of money being thrown his way? It's a bit tacky, if nothing else. There are many other skaters from all kinds of backgrounds who could really use USFS funding, and Evan doesn't need it, but he can't squeeze enough out of them so he's withdrawing? Serious WTF.

If he feels he could make more money elsewhere, that's fine, and understandable. But your post does nothing to clear up the situation and I don't think he's displaying any wonderful qualities by doing all this. This seems like something that should have been figured out months ago, as I'm sure it was with the other skaters.