PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

floskate
10-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Carry on :)

Oh and ETA: - Uchimura was just on another planet today. WOW wow wow!!! :eek: Finally a result in this championship that I like. :D

Buzz
10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Event finals is tonight and I am home to watch it! :cheer2: Hope Komova can win a couple of EF medals. Just want to say how much I enjoyed watching Progras compete. She is such a class act. :respec:

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 10:11 PM
I am glad to not have to get up so early. I hope Maroney absolutely sticks her Amanar!!

Rob
10-14-2011, 10:33 PM
It is definitely about more than the gymnatics. I love gymnasts who have good body/leg lines and arched banana insteps. Komova, Liukin, Lilipod. Musty doesn't have banana feet, but she points her feet. I like Porgras too.

Gnarled flounder feet are just not going to cut it for me no matter how much difficulty the gymnast has. I can appreciate the difficulty but the gymnast won't make my favorites list.

Somewhere in the middle are gymnasts like Wieber. She doesn't have terrible line or gnarled feet. Her body line is pleasant enough - the feet aren't really arched, but when she doesn't point them, they form a straight line and not gnarled/breaking the line at the ankle. I don't like it when she lets her feet flex in UB release moves or BB/FX split jumps, but the rest of her lines don't hurt my eyes. Patterson and Johnson were in the middle for me too -- the line is not gorgeous by any means, but its good enough. So if someone like Komova or Liukin has just too many bobbles, I don't freak out if a Patterson, Johnson, Wieber win. I can see why they won.

I love nice elegant dance presentation on FX, but with some diva attack. Musty has that to spare. Didn't see the diva attack from Komova this week. I don't like the pixie cheerleader jumping bean style so much. Not nuts about her routine, but Wieber showed attack in the AA on FX.

A little loss of form in the twisting elements doesn't bother me too much as long as the feet are pointed unless its is so bad it throws off the rotation (like the Ponor video we saw earlier in the thread). But loss of form should be scored properly.

gingercrush
10-14-2011, 10:35 PM
I would love to see Weiber, Komova, Jinnan, second american and second Russian (hopefully Mustafina but Grushina would be fine) and maybe one or two surprises, likely Porgras, Mitchell, Seitz, second Chinese fighting out for the medals.

Maroney really needs to win Vault. She will unless something happens on her second Vault. But not winning here would hurt her Olympic chances I think.

Komova for Gold in UB but would love to see Koko redeem herself here after disappointing Uneven Bars in Team Finals and AA. The french lady could well win a medal as well. Though I'd like to see Huang or Nabieva medal as win as it may well be the last we've see of them. Weiber will be wanting a far better UB from AA while for Douglas a great performance could really help her chances for London.

Floor will go to Zou I guess. I'm hoping one of Dragulescu, Shatilov, Hypolito or Uchimura take the Gold.

I'd love the Brit to win Pommel Horse. Yamamuro winning Gold would be icing on the cake for a great performance so far this week. Morandi would be a welcome winner but I guess this will go to Chen.

And it really was shocking that the best Chinese man placed 18th in AA

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 10:38 PM
And it really was shocking that the best Chinese man placed 18th in AA

I was shocked by that too. I thought they'd have Zou and or Zhang try for AA.

I'm kinda glad they didn't though. I wouldn't want to have seen either of them win AA medals.

Braulio
10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
My picks for today finals:

Floor: Zou Kai (CHN) though I dont like his gymnastics approach, but he is very consistent
Vault: McKayla Maroney (USA)
Pommel Horse: Krisztian Berki (HUN)
Uneven Bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)
Rings: Yibing Chen (CHN)

Other hopes: Legendre taking a medal on floor, Alexa Moreno (MEX) giving a top 5 performance on vault, Jo-Ho bronze on rings (his only event final)

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 11:23 PM
Uneven Bars: Elizabeth Tweddle (GBR)

Tweddle didn't make bars finals. She's 3rd alternate.

Braulio
10-14-2011, 11:25 PM
Tweddle didn't make bars finals. She's 3rd alternate.

I knew that I was forgetting something :rofl::rofl:

So correction, my pick for uneven bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)

:D

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I knew that I was forgetting something :rofl::rofl:

So correction, my pick for uneven bars: Victoria Komova (RUS)

:D

Easy error to make.

I don't think anyone foresaw Beth blowing her bars in prelims and not making finals. He, sure, but Tweddle was supposed to be a sure thing.

Buzz
10-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Let me see if I can remember the most prominent members of the injured list right; Mustafina, Bross, Leyva, Tanaka (?), Baladin, Sacramone, Memmel, Izbaşa... Did I miss anyone? Now that is quite the list.

Spareoom
10-15-2011, 12:34 AM
I dunno if Leyva is injured persay. He clipped his chin pretty bad and it looked like he got a nice shiner, but he was talking to the media afterwards so he probably won't have much more than some pretty spectacular bruising. Maybe the judges will give him pity points in PB finals? ;)

Unless, of course, you're referring to a different injury he may have.

michaelfsfan
10-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Not sure if this article has been posted in the previous thread - I think the author raises several interesting questions regarding the selection process of the US womens gymnastics team:

Last Leotard Standing (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2011/10/usa_gymnastics_injuries_the_united_states_women_ke ep_winning_gol.single.html)

Karpenko
10-15-2011, 02:19 AM
Uchimura might be the best MAG AA gymnast of all-time. He's such a cool cat, nobody else deserves to win the Olympics besides him. He should win all 3 of the medals actually.

McKayla for gold! Nothing less, just nail it! Her vault from TF to this point is my personal most watched routine of the competition :respec:

Komova for UB gold :cheer2: and a medal for Gabby would be :kickass:

Excited for tonight, this Worlds hasn't been all that bad so far. They are definitely getting me way excited for next year!

BigB08822
10-15-2011, 04:19 AM
If Chuso wins vault with those disgusting legs on her Rudi I will just vomit. Her E score deserves to be WELL below a clean vault from Maroney. Now, if Maroney falls then what can you do? But I better not see Maroney nail her vault and score 9.3 E score then see Chuso land hers and score 9.1 E score. That would be an injustice. I think leg form should be allowed up to .3 in deduction. Isn't it currently a .1 deduction and that is it? I would even go so far as to say the deduction can be doubled if both legs are bent, crossed, etc.