PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68

Karpenko
01-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Romanian press is reporting that Ana Porgras has retired. :eek: 5 months before the Olympics. Something bad must be going on in that gym right now, she was the only Romanian gymnast that I loved. :(

I knew that once B&B took over again they would ruin the beauty of her gymnastics, but I wasn't expecting this. Say goodbye to an Olympic team medal Romania. Ponor, Iordache, and Izbasa wont get it done, and they lost one of their top UB and BB scores. I think even Japan or Great Britain could pass them now.

vesperholly
01-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Romanian press is reporting that Ana Porgras has retired. :eek: 5 months before the Olympics. Something bad must be going on in that gym right now, she was the only Romanian gymnast that I loved. :(

Wow, what a bummer. I was hoping she could pick up a BB medal.

elka_sk8
01-16-2012, 12:11 PM

I knew that once B&B took over again they would ruin the beauty of her gymnastics, but I wasn't expecting this. Say goodbye to an Olympic team medal Romania. Ponor, Iordache, and Izbasa wont get it done, and they lost one of their top UB and BB scores. I think even Japan or Great Britain could pass them now.

:eek: :( :confused: :wuzrobbed

I loved her gymnastics. That is really unfortunate. You could tell at this past WC that she had lost her spark- damn B&B. :blah:

Rob
01-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Unbelieveable. My favorite Romanian and one of my overall faves.

ioana
01-16-2012, 03:58 PM
According to some of the interviews, it seems there might have been something going on between her and dear ole' B&B

RGF president Adrian Stoica "I believe this was the wrong decision on Ana's part, even more so since she didn't achieve everything [she could] in gymnastics. I whole-heartefdly regert her decision; it's a personal choice that I have a hard time commenting on. In a way, I could sense it. I think she's been thinkng about decision for a while and now it came to be."

ProSport mentioned sources close to the national team believe that other reasons [besides the recurring injuries that eventually affected her self-confidence] are behind her retirement. "She didn't manage to adapt to the coaching/work style demanded by Belu & Bitang, and ever since they've been back with the team Ana hasn't been the same. She's a very sensitive child that needs to be gently led. Besides, after Worlds she felt betrayed because some of the people she worked with said she is more preoccupied with fashion than gymnastics."

Adrian Stoica's concluding comments were "From conversations I've had with her, Ana did not leave room for a comeback. It's a very personal, very strong decision and sport could not be done via coercion."

Ana's interview from ProSport

http://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/gimnastica/ana-porgras-crede-ca-a-ales-bine-si-anunta-ca-nu-va-da-inapoi-nu-regret-ca-am-renuntat-9148937

Ana, how are you?
Doing well, at home with my sister.

With gymnastics or without?
Without. this time around, without. I quit gymnastics.

What made you reach this decision?
I have my own reasons; I would prefer not to talk about them, but I reached a point where I felt I couldn't go forward.

You couldn't cope physically?
There where many injuries and I felt tired. And after the last injury of my elbow from December, I realized I couldn't go on.

Nothing was known about your elbow injury....
At the beginning of December I was working on vault and on one of the roundoffs my hand popped! I went to the doctor and was told it was a fracture of my left elbow. I wore a brace and took a break...

Were you already thinking about retiring?
Yes, but I hadn't made up my mind. Then, the Dr said I could train, but my hand kept hurting and after we came back from our team camp in France, I realized I couldn't come back.

What do your sister and mother say about your decision?
Everyone wanted me to go on, to continue, they tired to make me chance my mind and Mr Stoica (RGF president) and Mrs Grigoras (int'l judge and Federation official) talked to me a lot, but my decision has been taken.

What's life without gymnastics like?
I don't know yet; it's only been a couple of days. For now it's fine, I transferred to Barlad for school where I live with my sister. Things are settling down.

Don't you regret the decision you made?
I don't regret retiring. I don't have any regrets/apologetic feelings, life goes on.

But there have been comebacks....
The moment I made up my mind, there is no way back. I said stop and that's how it will stay; I'm not going back there!

Scintillation
01-16-2012, 04:46 PM
:( She was my favorite Romanian gymnast by far, and she could've done so well at the Olympics. At least she has one balance beam world title to her name--she deserved it.

Loves_Shizuka
01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
I literally gasped :(

Loves_Shizuka
01-16-2012, 05:16 PM
http://www.prosport.ro/alte-sporturi/gimnastica/soc-ana-porgras-se-retrage-la-doar-18-ani-campioana-mondiala-la-barna-in-2010-si-una-dintre-sperantele-de-aur-la-londra-a-renuntat-la-gimnastica-9148927

Translation

A shocking retirement for Romanian sport! With about five months left until the Olympic games begin, Ana Porgras has left the Romanian women's gymnastics team. A heavy loss for the team coached by Octavian Bellu and Mariana Bitang, Ana being one of the medal hopefuls in London, but also an important factor in the team competition whose exercises on beam, bars and floor would have helped the Romanian team tremendously.

At only 18 years of age, Ana Porgras has become a historical figure in Romanian gymnastics. In pole-position for an Olympic medal at the Olympics, the 2010 world beam champion has abandoned her dreams and the training camp at Izvorani in order to live a normal life. "I felt like I physically couldn't go on, it was hard for me after so many injuries to start again. I couldn't go any further." explains Ana. The seriousness in her voice gives a sense that her decision was one made a long time ago, not one made at that particular moment. The event which significantly affected her decision was her last injury where she suffered a fracture on her left elbow.

A hurtful decision for the officials
Even from December the first thoughts about a retirement came to mind, surpassed by the help of a small holiday of recuperation. The final decision was to take shake after a training camp in Dijon, France: a future without gymnastics. "I think it was a wrong decision made by Ana, moreover since she hasn't showed everything she is capable of in gymnastics. I regret from all my heart her decision to retire, a decision which for me is very hard to comment upon, a decision which in a way I was expecting. I think that she was thinking about this for a long time and I guess it just happened now" Adrian Stoica explained. The injuries, the disappointing results at the last few major competitions and the huge pressure have decreased through time Ana's belief and confidence.

She didn't adapt to the working style
Close sources to the Olympic team maintain that behind this retirement lay other reasons: "She didn't adapt to the working style imposed by Bellu and Bitang, and since they returned to the team, Ana was never the same. She is an extremely sensitive child, who you need to work and talk in a nice manner with. Moreover, after the world championships she felt betrayed because someone who she worked with declared that she is more preoccupied with fashion than with gymnastics". Beauty, grace, talent and a big fragility are the words that sum up the best the sports destiny of Ana Porgras. A short destiny like a competition exercise. A competition finished much too early for Ana.

"From the discussions we've had with her, Ana didn't want to come back at all. It is a personal decision, a very strong one, and sport cannot be done with any constraint." - Adrian Stoica

Lara
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
What a shame. :(

ioana
01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Translation

Close sources to the Olympic team maintain that behind this retirement lay other reasons: "She is an extremely sensitive child, who you need to work and talk in a nice manner with."

The original version of the 'close source' quote used a very regional/informal phrase to describe the need for Ana to be gently led. And it sounds an awful lot like (former national head coach) Forminte's way of talking. Not that this makes his point any less valid...

Karpenko
01-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Its B&B's training methods, just like the Karolyis. you do it their way, only their way, even if their way isn't the best way for you. The Russian coaches would've been much smarter with Ana, Romania didn't deserve her to begin with. They produce stock crap year after year, its not about beautiful gymnastics to Belu and Bitang, its about winning.

It is about integrity and beautiful gymnastics with Ana, and they ripped that passion right out of her within one freaking year. But its not them, shes just mentally unstable and lazy. :rolleyes: Just like Marinescu, Cojocar, and all of the other beautiful potential gymnasts whose spirit they crushed with their soldier like training. I feel so bad for her, but :respec: for not letting them totally ruin what she brought to the sport. The fact that their top gymnast, 5 months before the Olympics, quits because of them it just speaks so much volumes. She's kind of a total badass for doing it IMO! :respec:

I just wish she had done it last year, or considered Germany or Bulgaria or something. You could see how much she loved gymnastics in the way that she performed, which in the end was what made her special. When you don't love it anymore because of prick coaches, that spark is gone and so is the "unimportant" (in their eyes) beauty.

OnyxRose81
01-16-2012, 08:21 PM
I've been saying goodbye to Ana since last year but it's still shocking she quit months before the Olympics.

floskate
01-16-2012, 09:38 PM
Poor Ana :( loved her gymnastics. I remember seeing her for the first time at Worlds in 2009 and I couldn't believe she was a romanian gymnast. But if she's done she's done. She sounds very at peace with her decision and B&B only have themselves to blame no matter how hard they try and deflect it. The whole gymnastics world knows it too. Also agree that Romania are now toast in London.

FiveRinger
01-17-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about Ana. She's a beautiful gymnast. The fact that she won't go into details about her retirement says so much more than if she were to stand on top of a building and stamp her feet in indignation. It takes a lot of courage to do what she did and I commend her for it. I wish her all the best and hopes she finds peace.

BigB08822
01-17-2012, 02:22 AM
Romania is done. I am so sorry for Ana but I kind of love that she did this. I just hope she doesn't regret it.