PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68

mkats
01-13-2012, 12:58 AM
The US team will be named at Olympic Trials this year--no selection camps. Apparently it will be announced on live TV as well.

http://www.teamusa.org/news/2012/01/11/us-to-name-full-gymnastics-teams-at-olympic-trials/46083

Ugh, not a fan of this. I felt so bad for Hollie in 2004, having that broadcast to the world :(

4rkidz
01-13-2012, 01:53 AM
Not sure if any of you are aware of the story of Taylor-Lindsay Noel but she was one of the top national junior gymnasts in Canada who trained along side Peng Peng Lee and she was doing an apparent 'illegal' move (as directed by her coach) you can google for more info.. anyway as the 2012 Olympics approach I'm sure she must be having mixed feelings (being a prospect for that before becoming a quadriplegic ).. anyway someone has sent this to me - she is trying to see if she can meet her idol Ellen.. here is the facebook link.. perhaps you can support her dream?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZU4SdiPEPI&feature=youtu.be

BigB08822
01-13-2012, 05:13 AM
What illegal move was she practicing? Is that true? Did her coach ever get in trouble? The move was probably illegal because it was too dangerous.

Domshabfan
01-13-2012, 05:24 AM
I am beginning to think Grishina is another Russian junior fade out. It really is a huge surprise that both Komova and Mustafina panned out so well. Russia is infamous for having the best juniors who never amount to anything on the senior level. Is she injured? Is she just burnt out? Maybe she isn't dealing well with the pressure and added difficulty? Growth spurt? There are so many things that can go wrong. Grishina was being counted on for bars, for sure. She isn't needed but when Russia looks at a way to put the US out of reach, it was counting a big bar score from her.

Well, she has grown a lot and she spent most of last year injured, she is coming back to form and was expected to do well. Unfortunately i think she is very nervous competitor, so i think they will be very hesitant to put her in the team if this trend continues.

On bars question, Grishina did do very well on bars BigB08822, she scored a 15.000 in the vent finals and won the event, she also had a very good qualifier on the event. The EF score would have given her silver behind komova at the last worlds (tied to Nabs on score but second on execution scores). So Ubar is the only event she is hitting at the moment.
Unfortunatly for Grishina she won't to selected for the team if she can only do bars, Russian is very strong on bars now Musty is back from her injury.

Komova 6.7 D
Mustafina 6.6 D (Vornin cup 2011 held in December, i am not counting her pre injury 6.9 or potential 7.1 she practices)
Nabieva 6.6 D
Grishina 6.5 D

Russian with Komova, Musty, Nabieva can still score conformably ahead on Ubars, remember all three girls are either gold or silver medalist from last two world championships on the apparatus and have been scoring consistently better than US on both D and E scores on UBars. So if they have to decide between headcasey Grishina and Nabieva, who was very good at last world i think russians will go with Nabs unless something changes by Russian nationals.

I think Russians real problem will be on Vault catching up to US scores. i Think they can match US on beam and Floor.

bek
01-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Well, she has grown a lot and she spent most of last year injured, she is coming back to form and was expected to do well. Unfortunately i think she is very nervous competitor, so i think they will be very hesitant to put her in the team if this trend continues.

On bars question, Grishina did do very well on bars BigB08822, she scored a 15.000 in the vent finals and won the event, she also had a very good qualifier on the event. The EF score would have given her silver behind komova at the last worlds (tied to Nabs on score but second on execution scores). So Ubar is the only event she is hitting at the moment.
Unfortunatly for Grishina she won't to selected for the team if she can only do bars, Russian is very strong on bars now Musty is back from her injury.

Komova 6.7 D
Mustafina 6.6 D (Vornin cup 2011 held in December, i am not counting her pre injury 6.9 or potential 7.1 she practices)
Nabieva 6.6 D
Grishina 6.5 D

Russian with Komova, Musty, Nabieva can still score conformably ahead on Ubars, remember all three girls are either gold or silver medalist from last two world championships on the apparatus and have been scoring consistently better than US on both D and E scores on UBars. So if they have to decide between headcasey Grishina and Nabieva, who was very good at last world i think russians will go with Nabs unless something changes by Russian nationals.

I think Russians real problem will be on Vault catching up to US scores. i Think they can match US on beam and Floor.

Well I think Grishina can maybe make the Russian team for bars alone, depending on what her or Nabs D scores are and if Mustafina is back in form.. At this point though if Nabs gets her messy Amanar back though I'd take Nabs instead. I really wouldn't trust Grishina on any other event but bars right now.

Rob
01-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Not sure if any of you are aware of the story of Taylor-Lindsay Noel but she was one of the top national junior gymnasts in Canada who trained along side Peng Peng Lee and she was doing an apparent 'illegal' move (as directed by her coach) you can google for more info.. anyway as the 2012 Olympics approach I'm sure she must be having mixed feelings (being a prospect for that before becoming a quadriplegic ).. anyway someone has sent this to me - she is trying to see if she can meet her idol Ellen.. here is the facebook link.. perhaps you can support her dream?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZU4SdiPEPI&feature=youtu.be

If you post it to the Ellen show facebook page, they take it down within seconds.

Lara
01-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Sui Lu :wall: That was a disaster with a scary dismount to cap. :(

ETA - and Yao Jinnan off beam as well. :wall: At least the rest was fairly solid.

BigB08822
01-13-2012, 10:20 PM
If you post it to the Ellen show facebook page, they take it down within seconds.

That's...odd. Maybe they are booking her and don't want anyone to suspect anything?

4rkidz
01-14-2012, 12:40 AM
What illegal move was she practicing? Is that true? Did her coach ever get in trouble? The move was probably illegal because it was too dangerous.

well her two coaches were Carol Angela Orchard (now the GB gymnastic coach) and Brian McVey, according to the message boards back then it was McVey who was coaching her primarily.. here is a newspaper article from the time.. the only reason I was thinking of her at this time was that she was pegged as the next big athlete for 2012.. although the impression I get now is that lessons were learned from this, but I don't know first hand.. just such a shame.. although sounds like Taylor has grown into a wonderfully talented young woman..
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/486810

millyskate
01-14-2012, 12:48 AM
well her two coaches were Carol Angela Orchard (now the GB gymnastic coach) and Brian McVey, according to the message boards back then it was McVey who was coaching her primarily.. here is a newspaper article from the time.. the only reason I was thinking of her at this time was that she was pegged as the next big athlete for 2012.. although the impression I get now is that lessons were learned from this, but I don't know first hand.. just such a shame.. although sounds like Taylor has grown into a wonderfully talented young woman..
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/486810

There are rumours online it was a toe-on double rigby. Whatever that is...

4rkidz
01-14-2012, 01:23 AM
There are rumours online it was a toe-on double rigby. Whatever that is...

apparently an illegal move called a 'toe-on double front rigby' with just a mat and no spotter..:yikes: I know Peng Peng Lee who also trained with same coaches said when she returned after her injury she went to a club that had better equipment that was safer including a foam pit etc., We forget sometimes how dangerous a sport gymnastics is.. I did all my badges as a little kid in England.. loved it.. are you going to watch the Olympics live millyskate?

millyskate
01-14-2012, 02:19 AM
apparently an illegal move called a 'toe-on double front rigby' with just a mat and no spotter..:yikes: I know Peng Peng Lee who also trained with same coaches said when she returned after her injury she went to a club that had better equipment that was safer including a foam pit etc., We forget sometimes how dangerous a sport gymnastics is.. I did all my badges as a little kid in England.. loved it.. are you going to watch the Olympics live millyskate?

Unfortunately not :bribe: That's why I'm cheering myself up with the qualifying events :lol:

Karpenko
01-15-2012, 01:14 AM
What the heck is a toe on double front Rigby? It sounds like some kind of open-toed shoe with a toe ring attached.

Rob
01-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Something Cathy Rigby used to do, but doubled?

Erin
01-15-2012, 05:25 AM
My guess is that it's the dismount off bars. A Rigby on bars is a toe-on front somersault dismount. This has been the only example I've been able to find on-line so far:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=24Zn0RO6YGg#t=280s

A number of the girls I trained with did the dismount with a piked toe-on rather than straddled (as in the video) and dismounted away from the low bar rather than over top of it. Presumably the gymnast who was injured was doing a double front somersault rather than the single in the video.

(As an aside, one of the girls I trained with liked this dismount so much that she actually named her dog Rigby, even though I'm about 99% sure this girl would have no idea who Cathy Rigby was.)