PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

DustPuppyOI
12-13-2011, 07:20 PM
I see she's still training that stupid double front-half out dismount that gave her all those problems in 2008.
I thought she took out the double layout because she was getting deductions for piking down on the second salto?

BigB08822
12-13-2011, 07:36 PM
Liukin can do the double front half out very well but she has never gotten the conditioning to do it well at the end of a FULL routine. I've seen some clips of her doing it alone in practice and she kicks out of it way before the landing. I imagine it will be even harder to do 4 yrs later.

judgejudy27
12-13-2011, 09:18 PM
If Liukin takes a spot way from predominantly a bars worker they cant complain. They have all done a poor job doing what they had to do the last few years (give the U.S a really high scoring and reliable bar routine).

Domshabfan
12-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Komova is not competing at Voronin cup, which kicks of the year for russian gymnasts even though it is held in december. This year Musty is on roster and so is Sidorova, i think Grishina is siting out. Afanaseva I am not sure about her.

Komova will all be competing and Grishina will also compete at Voronin cup. This will be the first Grishina Vs Sidorova Vs Komova Vs Mustafina battle. I am sure Musty won't be ready, yet it is going to be exciting.

elka_sk8
12-14-2011, 01:52 AM
I was thrilled to see Liukin win in '08 and if she makes a full comeback and has a killer bar set that gets her on the team, then kudos to her. That said, I'm sort of rooting for the younger girls to step up. Partly because I don't like the idea of taking a one-event gymnast to begin with, and partly because it would mean that one of the other good bars workers (Douglas, Bross) probably wouldn't make it.

judgejudy27
12-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Poor Bross. Is that what she is relegated to now, one of those vyeing to make the team as a bars worker.

OnyxRose81
12-14-2011, 02:38 AM
Komova is competing in Voronin Cup. They really do want to kill her.

vesperholly
12-14-2011, 02:38 AM
So you would rather the girls not win team gold again? Not taking Nastia for bars will do that, the other girls have had over 3 years to get a huge scoring UB routine together and they haven't. If she shows up with a great UB routine this year, she will have earned her place on the team for that reason alone.

I have my doubts that she will actually earn her place based on her gymnastics as opposed to her name and how tight she is with Marta, that's all.

BigB08822
12-14-2011, 03:14 AM
Poor Bross. Is that what she is relegated to now, one of those vyeing to make the team as a bars worker.

I don't think so. I just think because of her injury that is all she can do right now. However, her bars is a big help to her because she has one of the higher D scores and typically is consistent. Her strength has always been her use as an AAer, though. She was always usable on every event in TF with the exception lately of vault because of the crazy difficult vaults USA has now. Many many teams would kill to have Bross anchor their vault line up but the USA doesn't even want to use her.

bek
12-14-2011, 04:26 AM
I have my doubts that she will actually earn her place based on her gymnastics as opposed to her name and how tight she is with Marta, that's all.

There are a lot of things that can be said about Marta, but I'd highly doubt Marta would take Nastia, if Nastia wasn't immensely usable on bars. Marta wants to win Team Gold more than anything and its a five person team. She'd dump Nastia in a New York minute for that gold medal.

aka_gerbil
12-14-2011, 04:31 AM
There are a lot of things that can be said about Marta, but I'd highly doubt Marta would take Nastia, if Nastia wasn't immensely usable on bars. Marta wants to win Team Gold more than anything and its a five person team. She'd dump Nastia in a New York minute for that gold medal.

This.

I actually suspect that she'd probably sell her soul to the devil if that's what it took...

Karpenko
12-14-2011, 04:41 AM

I feel the same way about her trust me. :) If this argument were about Chellsie Memmel I would have a very different stance, I just think Nastia is smart enough to know how far she'll have to push. And of course I love her. :)

I think the good news is that all of the other good bar workers are all-arounders. That doesn't eliminate too many people just yet. (except maybe Anna Li :( Who did get to keep her Worlds gold at least..)

VIETgrlTerifa
12-14-2011, 04:42 AM
I wonder what have happened in 1996 if all those gymnasts from Barcelona didn't make the team in order to make room for new gymnasts.

ETA: Did Anna Li really get to keep her Worlds gold? That's nice even if it's not official on the record books.

BigB08822
12-14-2011, 04:45 AM
(except maybe Anna Li :( Who did get to keep her Worlds gold at least..)

Can you elaborate? Did USAG make her a medal? They have done this in the past. Or did Alicia tell her to keep it? She isn't officially recognized as a World Champ, is she? This is still EASILY the most absurd decision I can remember in gymnastics in a VERY long time.

ETA: I mean absurd that she was never put on the roster, despite having an athlete off the continent. There WAS time to do it and it wasn't done.

Karpenko
12-14-2011, 06:15 AM
I stumbled upon it on my facebook stream, one of my friends had commented on a picture she uploaded (recently) with her parents World/Olympic Medals and her World gold all in one picture. In the caption she mentioned how happy she was that hers was the biggest. ;) So I'd imagine they at least made an exact replica, because it looked like the same thing to me.

I also remember reading back in 2007 that Bridget Sloan also got a Worlds gold even though she was the alternate, so maybe something along the same lines happened so both Anna and Alicia could get the medal?