PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
11-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Nastia posted pix on her twitter of her working with Travis Wall

And apparently Tara Lipinski responded that she too is working with Travis soon.

BigB08822
11-17-2011, 04:42 AM
It is also looking more likely that the entire World team is now pro. The rumors are that it was offered to the entire team. I hope it wasn't an all or nothing proposal, though. That would have been horribly unfair as some of the girls may have felt pressure to go pro from those who wanted to but weren't being offered anything individually.

sk9tingfan
11-17-2011, 02:47 PM
Lleyva is running around with Tara Modlin. Don't know if I approve of her representing him.....

Buzz
11-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Who are the most promising juniors coming of age next year?

Rob
11-21-2011, 06:29 PM
Article on juniors: http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=tumblemumble/postid=562963.html

elka_sk8
11-29-2011, 02:07 AM
Article on juniors: http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=tumblemumble/postid=562963.html

Iordache's beam routine was awesome. Grishina's lovely, although I enjoyed Siderova as well- very dynamic. Zeng looks like she's about 10 years old. Cute as a button though. A shame none of them could compete as seniors this year, but London should be amazing.

altai_rose
11-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Unfortunately, Grishina looked pretty horrible at the recent Massilia cup. She had no swing in her bars exercise at all and poor releases. Rumor has it that she is working with the national team coaches at round lake and she's declining...

BigB08822
11-29-2011, 03:41 AM
Did Grishina have a growth spurt? Russia is famous for failing to have their juniors live up to expectations. Grishina is a huge part of Russia's chance at winning in London, IMO. If she isn't up to form then Russia cant afford any injuries or mistakes, IMO. That is asking the impossible in this sport.

judgejudy27
11-29-2011, 04:56 AM
With the age restriction rules we are bound to see some gymnasts who peak before they are age eligible for the major events. After all how many gymansts peaked at 14 and 15, then retired or dropped well down in the rankings in the past. Those gymnasts would have never had their moment in the sun perhaps had the rules been as now.

I think Russia could still field a winning team even if Grishina falls by the wayside. Mustafina and Komova at their best should each probably do atleast 3 of the 4 events in team finals, and out some combination of 3 from Sidorova, Afanyseva, Dementyeva, Nabieva, a weaker Grishina, they should have plenty of depth out of a 5 women team to have 3 very highs scores potentially on every event.

Karpenko
11-29-2011, 09:54 AM
I've always liked Grishina, but I've personally never understood why people have always automatically locked her into the same category as Komova as a "for sure" thing when she turns senior. Komova, frankly, has always had more difficulty on every event, and a little bit more polished and refined everywhere as well.

Basically I don't see how her being on the team will be vital for them winning team gold, when Nabieva, Afanasyeva, heck even Dementyeva, Paseka and Belokobylskaya are better choices at this point. She has a very pretty toe point and good polish and could be amazing but the lack of difficulty (let alone her inconsistency) all-around has made me go :huh: at times when people really hype her up. Honestly other than 2010 jr euros, where she was good and very pretty but not a lot of difficulty.... Where have the results and scores been? I've seen so many posts on different boards over the years (deservedly) raving about her gymnastics, but then going on to say how she could easily win an AA medal in London and frankly I don't see the upgrade possibilities, let alone the execution problems letting that happen for her, unless these guys know something I don't. Frankly, I thought predicting Courtney McCool as an AA Olympic Medal contender after Olympic Trials in 04 was less :huh: but that's just me. Prove me wrong Anastasia ( a very rootable name btw ;))
I wish Mai Murakami had made that list, she's going to be the most impressive new senior of the entire Olympics IMO!

BigB08822
11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
I think Grishina was hyped for her bars mainly. It was clearly a top 3 bar score for RUS and she had been very consistent on the event if my memory serves me correctly. She was fine on the other events but like you said, she needed to up the difficulty. I think a lot of people assumed she would up her difficulty just because she was a junior but of course, that is never set in stone.

Karpenko
11-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Should be interesting, I think right now she has a very long ways to go but in the end I think she might be fighting Sidorova or Dementyeva for the last AA spot. Komova and Mustafina should be doing AA barring something bad, then Afanasyeva and Nabieva compliment each other very well, it's going to be tough for her. A consistent outscoring Nabs UB set or an Amanar vault (without a mustafina landing) would really help her out quite a bit.

OnyxRose81
11-30-2011, 08:45 PM
I've always found Grishina to be a rather pretty gymnast but admit to being completely baffled that some people thought she would overtake Komova. Komova is no slouch on the pretty front and she's always had way more difficulty than Grishina. I've never seen the capability of Grishina to upgrade either. I hope their subpar showings at competitions is the result of their respective injuries, and not that they're declining.

BigB08822
12-01-2011, 07:21 AM
I've always thought of Grishina as being the clear #3 AAer for Russia behind Komova and Mustafina. She would be the one waiting in the wings for a slip up to steal the 2nd AA spot at the major competitions. Knowing Russia, though, she would suddenly fall ill or have an injury which would allow Komova/Mustafina back in and then suddenly Grishina would be just fine for EF.

Domshabfan
12-01-2011, 05:42 PM
The hype about Grishina comes from last years European juniors . Where she came 2nd behind Komova, qualified to the AA ahead of Komova(Komova fell during qualification ). She had a very impressive floor, very artistic and wonderful beam routine. On top of this she had a 6.5 d score on bars. Considering her age she was expected to do well. I still think she has lot in her considering she is just coming of a injury.