PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
11-15-2011, 09:07 PM
There is speculation that a tour is in the works if the girls win the Olympic gold. However, even the Mag 7 got a lot less from that tour than they hoped. The tour usually starts out as a 60 city tour then is quickly dropped to well below half of that when tickets don't sell. The gymnasts who go pro are paid per stop. There is a huge difference in pay then from 60 stops to 15 stops.

Not to mention that you can go pro after the Olympics and before the tour if you actually make the team and win the gold!!! Right? I see how Weiber can cash in pre-Olympics, but Raisman? I agree with you, I am not so sure she'll even make the team.

BigB08822
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Not to mention that you can go pro after the Olympics and before the tour if you actually make the team and win the gold!!! Right? I see how Weiber can cash in pre-Olympics, but Raisman? I agree with you, I am not so sure she'll even make the team.

Exactly. If you were going pro mainly because of a possible tour then you should just wait until after the Olympics.

At the same time, part of me wants to think that Aly knows what she is doing or someone close to her knows, whoever is helping her make these decisions. Maybe she knows something we don't that will assure her a good chance of making more money than what college would cost. I seriously doubt it, but only time will tell.

vesperholly
11-15-2011, 09:59 PM
Whatever the prize money was, it doesn't equal a college education or anything even remotely close.

Agreed. It'd have to be at least $100,000 before anyone should turn pro over a college career. Having 4 years of an excellent school being paid for you is a hell of a lot of money.

Karpenko
11-15-2011, 11:04 PM
I agree it wasn't a very smart decision, I don't even think it was a smart decision for Jordyn. I've heard that every member of the 2011 team has gone pro (even Sabrina Vega :huh:) and I'm guessing its so this team can make the money before the Olympics since they are all World Champions, and even more after if any of them continue on and make the Olympic Team. But then what? Who's to say they will win, and if they do win, who's to say they won't all go the Carly Patterson OGM route?

Honestly - Mag 7, Nastia, and Shawn were all rare cases that made a lot of money, but even then gymnastics just isn't that popular, you would make more money AFTER COLLEGE in whatever you went to college (for free! Any school you want!!) for. Silly. And I'm willing to bet that only Jordyn and McKayla make the team.

Then there's also the issue will they even be healthy and not injured, let alone good enough to make the team? Such an incredibly bad decision.

BigB08822
11-16-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't know if Vega and Maroney have gone pro but there is rumor that all of the girls have looked into it. This includes Anna and Gabby. Anna is a no brainer, she already finished her NCAA career so why not go pro? Even if she only makes $10 it isn't hurting her in any way. The rest need to wait. Especially Vega. Vega only made this team after a surplus of injuries, no way she is getting near the Olympic team without catastrophe or some insane upgrades. I actually think Jordyn took a smart gamble. There are no guarantees but as reigning World AA champ she can bank some endorsements leading up to the Olympics while the other girls will need to hope for victory in London to get the big bucks.

FiveRinger
11-16-2011, 01:23 AM
I agree it wasn't a very smart decision, I don't even think it was a smart decision for Jordyn. I've heard that every member of the 2011 team has gone pro (even Sabrina Vega :huh:) and I'm guessing its so this team can make the money before the Olympics since they are all World Champions, and even more after if any of them continue on and make the Olympic Team. But then what? Who's to say they will win, and if they do win, who's to say they won't all go the Carly Patterson OGM route?

Honestly - Mag 7, Nastia, and Shawn were all rare cases that made a lot of money, but even then gymnastics just isn't that popular, you would make more money AFTER COLLEGE in whatever you went to college (for free! Any school you want!!) for. Silly. And I'm willing to bet that only Jordyn and McKayla make the team.

Then there's also the issue will they even be healthy and not injured, let alone good enough to make the team? Such an incredibly bad decision.

I agree with what you've said here. The only reason I think that some of these girls are going pro is that they don't have plans to go to college. Nastia attended for a semester, if I remember correctly, and I don't think I've ever heard anything about Shawn attending. Do any of these girls have plans to attend college?

mkats
11-16-2011, 02:55 AM
Anna is a no brainer, she already finished her NCAA career so why not go pro? Even if she only makes $10 it isn't hurting her in any way.

IIRC Anna has already done a couple commercials for... Honda Civic? I don't know if she got paid for it - I imagine so, since she isn't an NCAA athlete anymore.

BigB08822
11-16-2011, 04:42 AM
IIRC Anna has already done a couple commercials for... Honda Civic? I don't know if she got paid for it - I imagine so, since she isn't an NCAA athlete anymore.

You are right. She was already pro. I think she also did work on a movie or something as well.

OnyxRose81
11-16-2011, 12:16 PM
The only thing that's bad about Aly going pro is that she would have rocked in college. She'll still go to college eventually. She's from freaking Needham, and her parents bought her a Land Rover for her birthday, plus I've heard that she's gifted academically. I think her family can pay out of pocket, plus she can get an academic scholarship.

The team was pressured to go pro. Jordyn and McKayla make the most sense because they are world champions. They will make the money in the run up to the games (print ads and the like). Vega, however, is screwed. The only chance to get on that team will be to have another year like this year, which sadly is possible. Otherwise, she and her family screwed themselves.

galaxygirl
11-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Don Peters banned for life. (http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/ex-olympic-gymnastics-coach-banned-life-160650318.html?back=%2Fsports%2F&.ts=1321461957&.intl=us&.lang=en) Sorry about the mobile link.

judgejudy27
11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
I dont understand some of the people going pro. Vega, is she insane. Her chances to even make the Olympic team are 4%. Unless they are people who just didnt want the whole NCAA experience anyway.

I was dissapointed to hear about Raisman. She only has a 50% chance at best of making the team, the U.S team only has a 50% chance at best for the team gold in London (considering Russia will be light years stronger than this years Worlds), and even if she won a team gold in London it is doubtful she would be a big endorsement getter unless she has some major individual success which seems unlikely. I think she would have been an amazing NCAA gymnast.

Rob
11-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Is this definite? I was reading that it was all rumors because Florida did not annouce her as having signed. Was there an official announcement that she went pro? She can still sign can't she? Or maybe she just wants to be the next Chusovitina.

I can see how Raisman might be swayed by Sacramone/Weiber, but Vega and Douglas would be particularly insane.

And why would the whole team be pressured to go pro. The 2003 and 2007 gold medal winning teams didn't go pro en masse - just select members.

FSfan107
11-16-2011, 06:52 PM
Wow, I hope it is not true every girl on the World Team went pro. This is a dumb decision. They won't make enough money to it to be worth more than a full scholarship to college. If USAG is pressuring them to turn pro, I think that is shameful.

Lara
11-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Wow, I hope it is not true every girl on the World Team went pro. This is a dumb decision. They won't make enough money to it to be worth more than a full scholarship to college. If USAG is pressuring them to turn pro, I think that is shameful.

Especially knowing what an issue student debt has become in this economy. When you think of how many young people would kill for a full ride...ugh. :wall:

reese
11-16-2011, 11:18 PM
It is official-- Raisman has gone pro. (http://www.gymnastike.org/article/9137-Alexandra-Raisman-Turns-Pro?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)

SO STUPID.