PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

bek
11-03-2011, 05:29 AM
I think McKayla just has a constant bitchy expression on her face. Oddly enough that seems to be what makes a gymnast likable these days, how bitchy they appear on the podium.

I guess we can tall it the Tourischeva syndrome, did she start the bitch face? She had a great competition one. Odly enough though Tourischeva was also known as being very gracious. Nadia mentioned in her book how nice Tourischeva was to her, when she beat Tourischeva at Euros.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Maybe Tourischeva just appreciated brilliant gymnastics. :)

Scintillation
11-03-2011, 05:02 PM
I think my favorite competitive face is Chellsie Memmel's. She always smiles and looks like a normal person when she's done, but when she's in the middle of her routine, the look on her face suggest she has no problem with punching a hole through someone's head.

Rob
11-04-2011, 04:53 AM
Sloan isn't an Olympic Gold Medalist, FYI. :) She certainly is the only US World AA champ to retain her eligibility (considering that the US has had only five AA World champions, it's a rather short list), but she isn't the first or only US World gold medalist to keep her eligibility. Other World Champions who have gone on to college include Shayla Worley, Courtney Kupets, and Kayla Williams.

I asked about OGM or World AA. Not OGM and World AA. Those are the titles that bring in the Wheaties boxes and the endorsements. World event champs and team players don't generate that kind of attention unless the hype is already in full force, like Liukin. I doubt Kayla or Shayla were turning down the big bucks to stay eligible.

BigB08822
11-04-2011, 05:07 AM
Shayla certainly wasn't endorsable. Her family was begging for money to get them to Beijing even though Shayla wasn't a lock by any means. Then she didn't survive the selection process but they went anyway instead of donating that money to a family whose son/daughter WAS competing. I doubt anyone wanted to endorse her, she was a PR disaster waiting to happen. The stuff that came out of her mouth, oy!

Rob
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I agree. She was a whiny disaster. My point is that the only ones who've maintained eligibility are the ones whose endorsement earnings potential did not outweigh the value of a college scholarship/NCAA experience. Generally an OGM and in most cases, a World AA, will get you more than just prize money. Let the Jordyn commercials begin!

The question in my mind is Memmel - did she give up her eligibility?

VIETgrlTerifa
11-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I believe Memmel has given it up.

My question is why did Jana Bieger go pro? That's one gymnast who would have difficulty getting endorsements. I think college gymnastics could have been a positive experience for her. Oh well.

Rob
11-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Perhaps she just needed the prize money - didn't her parents open their own gym after she won the AA silver?

Hedwig
11-05-2011, 03:42 PM
:rolleyes: I still remember the blog from Shayla. "Oh, Georgia is also a country! Did you know that? And all foreign people are rude and don't understand my language. How stupid of them."

VIETgrlTerifa
11-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, that Shayla is certainly...a charmer.

Jayar
11-05-2011, 05:39 PM
:rolleyes: I still remember the blog from Shayla. "Oh, Georgia is also a country! Did you know that? And all foreign people are rude and don't understand my language. How stupid of them."

That sounds like sarcasm to me.

mkats
11-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I don't think it was...

There was also the line about giving somebody whiplash after hitting them (on some sort of slide, I think?) and how she thought it was so hilariously funny and didn't feel sorry for them at all.

I was actually planning to donate to her go-to-Beijing fund at first. After reading that blog I was really glad that I didn't :shuffle:

vesperholly
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Thank god social media wasn't around when I was a teenager, I'd have made a right fool of myself. :shuffle: I try to cut poorly-spoken teens some slack.

judgejudy27
11-05-2011, 06:12 PM
I believe Memmel has given it up.

My question is why did Jana Bieger go pro? That's one gymnast who would have difficulty getting endorsements. I think college gymnastics could have been a positive experience for her. Oh well.

She probably thought she was a big star and had a big Olympics coming up after the 2006 Worlds. Personally I always thought she was lucky to beat in an ultra weak year and would be about where she was by 2008. Ferrari beat a perfect Bieger with a fall, that says it all.

VIETgrlTerifa
11-05-2011, 06:15 PM
I don't think it was...

There was also the line about giving somebody whiplash after hitting them (on some sort of slide, I think?) and how she thought it was so hilariously funny and didn't feel sorry for them at all.

I was actually planning to donate to her go-to-Beijing fund at first. After reading that blog I was really glad that I didn't :shuffle:

I think it's definitely not. People have heard things from Shayla and her family's mouth that were very off-putting and close to that blog post just much closer to home than "foreigners." Hopefully, she's grown up since then at UGA, but who knows.