PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Rob
11-02-2011, 03:39 PM
Well, that is rude -- he could have just said that she had to weigh her financial future against the benefits of NCAA participation.

Is Sloan the only World AA champ or Olympic Gold medalist to retain her eligibility? Some world event and team champs have, but I can't think of any other World AA champ or Olympic gold medalists on any event who have.

BigB08822
11-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Geddert is such a prick. Watered down gymnastics? Most gymnasts go into the NCAA and wind up INCREASING their difficulty over time. Not everyone is as talented as Jordyn. Sure, SHE would be watering down but she is currently very young. It isn't safe to assume she will retain all her difficulty as she turns 18 and eventually until she is 20 and 21. His ego is so massive, I wonder if his head even fits through the door.

Rob
11-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Why would he frown on NCAA anyway? Hasn't he fed a lot of athletes to NCAAs? Now name all the World and Olympic team members he has coached other than Jordyn Wieber. I think he coached Katie Teft, but didn't injuries eat her up and she never made a World team? Anyone else?

danafan
11-02-2011, 07:16 PM
After his patronizing explanation of my Anna Li wasn't placed in the lineup after Alicia's interesting, I pretty much decided I was going to avoid his blogs and quotes as much as possible.

Sorry I missed this one - what did Geddert say on this matter?

Thanks.

vesperholly
11-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Geddert is such a prick. Watered down gymnastics? Most gymnasts go into the NCAA and wind up INCREASING their difficulty over time.

Not only that, but we are increasingly seeing NCAA athletes make a splash in the elite world after their college careers are over - Mohini Bhardwaj, Vanessa Zamarripa, Anna Li, Kate Richardson, and I'm sure there are more.

Spareoom
11-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Is Sloan the only World AA champ or Olympic Gold medalist to retain her eligibility? Some world event and team champs have, but I can't think of any other World AA champ or Olympic gold medalists on any event who have.

Sloan isn't an Olympic Gold Medalist, FYI. :) She certainly is the only US World AA champ to retain her eligibility (considering that the US has had only five AA World champions, it's a rather short list), but she isn't the first or only US World gold medalist to keep her eligibility. Other World Champions who have gone on to college include Shayla Worley, Courtney Kupets, and Kayla Williams.

FiveRinger
11-02-2011, 10:42 PM
I guess I am trying to understand why Jordyn needed to make this decision now? I thought it might be premature. What happens if she gives up her eligibility and her circumstances change? Then what? I don't know anything about NCAA eligibility except that I would try to hold on to mine as long as I could.

Spareoom
11-02-2011, 10:54 PM
The reason why Jordyn would want to give up her eligibility now is because this is the time that sponsors are shopping around for athletes to sponsor and highlight during the Olympics. There is sponsors and money to be had once the Olympics are over, but it's nowhere near as much as the amount you'd get before. Remember Shawn Johnson being all over McDonalds bags and Coke boxes? If Jordyn wants sponsors like that, she has to be accepting offers now.

It's a gamble that you take to go pro at this point, but it's a risk you have to take if you want to maximize your potential. Also, I heard that there was some reward money being offered for Jordyn's World medals; if there was it would have been through USAG, but maybe it was enough to make Jordyn want to hang on to it instead of give it up like she has every other prize purse.

mkats
11-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Her chances for making the most money out of sponsorships are probably the days leading up to the Olympics, given that there's no guarantee of her winning in London...

BigB08822
11-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Can Jordyn accept prize money after the fact? I wonder if the competitions have some sort of window? This can't be an unusual circumstance, for an athlete to deny the prize money but then go pro only months later. Do they allow them to take the money after the fact or does it have to be decided immediately? If the money is turned down, do they have to give it to someone or does the organization get to keep it?

judgejudy27
11-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Her chances for making the most money out of sponsorships are probably the days leading up to the Olympics, given that there's no guarantee of her winning in London...

Very true. She is best to cash in now. Frankly I doubt her winning the AA in London (possible but not likely IMO) so her star is probably shiniest now, and she should grab all the loot she can get her hands on, and the best way to do that is to turn pro now. Even if the U.S wins the team gold, if she doesnt win the AA she will just be one of the Mag 5 or whatever more than the new Mary Lou.

mkats
11-02-2011, 11:08 PM
If the money is turned down, do they have to give it to someone or does the organization get to keep it?

I read somewhere that USAG gets to keep it.

BigB08822
11-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I read somewhere that USAG gets to keep it.

Isn't the nice, talk about child labor.

Scintillation
11-03-2011, 03:31 AM
Thanks for the explanation, BigB. I agree the rules regarding eligibility need to be adjusted for sports like gymnastics, when these athletes peak at such a young age.

Is it me, or is the only likable gymnastics coach Liang Chow? He seems like such a mild mannered, kind man. I don't know, maybe Artur Arkopyian (sp??) isn't such a bad guy, but McKayla always looks like she can't stand him touching her after she finishes a routine. That could just be McKayla's default facial expression though.

BigB08822
11-03-2011, 04:58 AM
I think McKayla just has a constant bitchy expression on her face. Oddly enough that seems to be what makes a gymnast likable these days, how bitchy they appear on the podium.