PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

rudi
10-21-2011, 04:02 PM
This team is going to be the hardest team to pick in the history of US gymnastics. I mean its already our deepest field (I think even more than 2004), and there is one less spot. There's also 4 returning Oympians trying to make the team like in 1996. This year will be absolutely nuts.

I totally agree. I hate that they have gone from 7 to 6 to now 5.

There will be some disappointments (more than usual now that there are only 5 spots), and I hate to see someone deserving getting left behind. That's a big heartbreak, especially if that Olympic year is their only shot. :(

Scintillation
10-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I would love for Shawn to make it onto the Olympic team next year, but I've come to accept it's highly unlikely she will be going to London. The only way she's getting on the team is if Wieber, Ross, and Bross are too injured to go...and that would be awful. I don't want any of them injured.
I actually wonder if Bross will be able to secure a place on the team too. She tends to screw up at the worst times and Douglas honestly has a better looking bar set than she does. Jordyn's bars aren't fantastic but she can bring in a solid score (and even make event finals) and if Liukin is back to where she was in 2008, she will bring in a huge bars score.
And I know its easy to count out Raisman, but she's like the Chellsie Memmel of this era. She is a rock for the team and a fierce competitor, and she had already improved on her presentation somewhat in Tokyo. I'm not going to count her out of the mix. (I say this knowing Marta made comments that Raisman doesn't seem to score well on the international stage, which is worrying.)

Fridge_Break
10-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm wondering why a lot of people are so certain that Bross will A) be recovered from her injury, and B) be in top form for when London rolls around. The poor girl certainly hasn't looked great in quite some time. Even at Nationals this year, the first day she was only 5th or so in the AA. It's been a few seasons since she's had her best results, I just don't think she's anywhere close to a lock for the team as a lot of people are thinking. JMO.

judgejudy27
10-21-2011, 04:43 PM
The thing Bross has is that she is very strong and useable on 3 events- bars, beam, and floor. At worst she would make a great 1st alternate on any. On bars she would probably be used. The team also probably would want 4 very strong bar workers, considering the other team member quite likely will be awful on bars.

One bad thing for her is how well the U.S team at Worlds without her almost shows she isnt as important or needed as might have been originally thought. Especialy with Ross coming in next year and some others possible improvements by next year too. She also is known for costly falls in big meets, and her injury at Nationals looked really bad. I agree she isnt a lock . At best a 70% chance at this point (some would say lower).

VIETgrlTerifa
10-21-2011, 04:58 PM
I don't think people are sure about Bross as much as they're thinking that she just makes sense with certain team make-ups. Let's face it, we have strong depth on Vault and Floor. What we need are gymnasts who can kick it up a notch on Bars and Beam.

In my earlier post, I said that Bross will be a strong contender for the team IF she comes back to form and if the current gymnast keep their strengths. Who knows, someone may pull a Terin by London and all of a sudden becomes a bars superstar (of course much harder under open-ended than 10.0).

ETA: To be quite honest, I find Kyla Ross to be boring and I seriously hope that in 2012, she will have a Wieber like Worlds transformation by Trials and London where Wieber became a gymnast I was "meh" or indifferent about to a gymnast that I seriously quite enjoyed.

FiveRinger
10-21-2011, 05:10 PM
For some reason this reminds of the pretty that was Alexandra Marinescu that B&B also didn't agree with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8YeDmcTYXM

I hope with the time away Porgras comes back to 2009-2010 form because with the way she was looking in 2011, I was afraid of what she'll look like in 2012.

I remember Marinescu. She was a beautiful gymnast, so un-Romanian in her style. Didn't she write a tell-all book about gymnastics in Romania? I don't remember what it said but I do remember it raised quite a stir. I wanted to read it but couldn't find it.

Rob
10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Marinescu - that was quite a sad tale. She later wrote about hard training methods in the gym that are not for the squeamish and how she was always pulled out of the AA for Amanar even when she qualified.

B&B said she was lazy too. And Sabina Cojocaru -- didn't they call her lazy and made her train harder when she was very sick. I liked her a lot.

I liked Nadia of course, and Milo, Raducan, Dobre, Silivas, Marinescu, Cojocar, and now Porgras. Racea has nice lines. Eremia had nice lines too.

I also liked Sofronie quite a bit, but her career was also a bit short lived. And I liked Andreaa Isarescu who was good on bars IIRC.

There were a few in the 1990s/early 2000s I liked better than Gogean and Amanar, though they were not as good technically. Nadia Hategan was one. and there was another who was very very tiny - can't remember her name.

BigB08822
10-21-2011, 06:49 PM
You know who would be a good replacement for Bross? A tip top healthy Memmel. Highly unlikely, I know, but she fills in all the same holes!

Hedwig
10-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Oh, ya, I loved Sofronie.
And I loved Claudia Rusan - never made it out of Juniors, AFAIK but she was a fierce tumbler on floor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMgXH9spqE

Hedwig
10-21-2011, 07:33 PM
Trip down the memory lane - Claudia Rusan's name made me wonder what became of her and I found this:
http://thecouchgymnast.squarespace.com/thelostgirls2/

The petite Claudia Rusan was a gorgeous floor worker but with an equisite form and technique on the Uneven Bars as well. Her whip back into a double layout on Floor has woed the judges and the fans of artistic gymnastics at the Junior Europeans in 1993. She won there medals in four out of five events: All Around, Vault, Beam and Floor.

That same year she contacted a virus that ended her career.

The doctor’s diagnosis was bone tuberculosis. From 1993 untill 2000, poor Claudia has seen numerous doctors, in Romania and other European Countries trying different cures. She required a surgical operation in 2000 and the Romanian Gymnastics Federation and the coach Mariana Bitang, financially and mentally supported the former gymnast.

Also very interesting what they said about other girls - I can remember Vanda Hadarean as well - never would have thought that she would become Miss Fitness World!

Loves_Shizuka
10-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Ah, Cojocar! That name brings back memories; I thought she had loads of potential, shame her career was so short. I remember there being a Romanian gymnast around at the same time, and I'm sure B&B were quite vocal about her being too fat and lazy to go to the Olympics. Or something along those lines. Let me find out who it was.

Rob
10-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Andreea Munteanu? I remember her being too skinny.

I thought Florica Leonida, Eremia, and Ponor were expelled (after Athens?) for being "lazy" and partying late at a night club.

Angela Ghimpu was another one in the 1990s I liked who got sick or something and fell out of favor.

Loves_Shizuka
10-22-2011, 06:24 AM
I think it was Andrea Ulmeanu. She was a member of their 2001 World gold team. I remember there being comments about her being lazy and not having a "tight or well trained body" - and I'm sure these comments were made during competition. LOL. Unsurprisingly, we never saw her again.

Buzz
10-22-2011, 11:42 AM
This Youtube user has put up english language videos of the worlds:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHfSYTHqKU4&feature=related

Lara
10-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice article on Leyva:
http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/2011/10/born-cuba-leyva-now-living-american-dream