PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Obviously Komova doesn't have Chen's reputation. But she was clearly the best bar worker by bar in this final. The judges scores have been consistent on that. Its not like Komova's routine was that different than it was before. I used Chen as an example of someone who is far ahead of the rest of the field. It was a weak field. Once again if Tweddle had been in the mix, I doubt Vera would have felt that way. And the scores Vika got on bars are the scores she's been getting on bars for the last two seasons. Its not like Vika's bars scores took this great big jump. She scored similarily at Junior Euros, YOGs etc.

Yes, and who is denying that Komova was the best bar worker in the EF? She deserves her win today based solely on performance. It's just my personal feeling that if Komova has the judges on her side even before the event starts and they are going to do everything they can to give her the gold so long as she co-operates, that makes me not want to root for her. The judges shouldn't even be thinking this way as it indicates that they'll likely be biased when evaluating her routines.

If Komova's mom mentioned nothing about what the actual judges told her then all this talk is moot anyway. Although I did read some other quotes from the article that lead me to believe that political judging does still happen...

floskate
10-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Having read sooooo much online about Komova v Weiber I finally got around to watching the comp for myself on DVR. They both had major issues across the 4 apparatus and while my heart lies with Komova, I have no problem with Weiber's win considering neither competed to their full potential.

I think Komova's reaction was totally expected when you consider that while actually 16, emotionally and physically she's basically about 12. (The post medal ceremony pics are hilarious - I mean Jordyn looks like a proud soccor mom beaming away and posing with her reluctant teeny tiny daughters.) All Vika has ever done is train, train, train and the expectations on her before she even made her senior debut have been enormous and building steadily over the past three seasons.

I think some have seen her as a kind of saviour of the sport. Her lines, flow and artistry hark back to an era that seems all the more attractive when compared with todays muscled and badly executed gymnastics by many. But she's the exception not the norm. Considering her injury issues and lack of training, she just cannot live up to the hype this year and has done extremely well to acheive what she has in Tokyo.

I'm sure she'll get over this week and go from strength to strength. All I want is a fully fit Komova, Musty and Grishina in London hitting their routines and then we'll see. Oh and Maroney giving withering looks to Marta after nailing another amanar as she walks the vault runway would also make my games :lol:

Mayra
10-15-2011, 04:29 PM
I also agree that Sui Lu winning tomorrow would be a fantastic result; she's the best beam worker here IMO. I really hope she can hold it together; even if she doesn't win, I hope she hits. She's totally messed things up at the last two worlds. :( All the best to her.

The choreography(or lack thereof) in her BB routine is not at all what I would expect from a Chinese gymnast. She literally walks to into her elements. Her saving grace is that she really does ROCK her elements. I wish her the best, but can't say I'm a big fan of her beam set as it is now.

dots
10-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh, I see Komova has one of "those" mothers :lol:

I bet she'll give us plenty to talk about next year. :EVILLE:

Loves_Shizuka
10-15-2011, 04:38 PM
At least gymnastics is getting :watch: again :P

barbk
10-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Oh and Maroney giving withering looks to Marta after nailing another amanar as she walks the vault runway would also make my games :lol:

:confused: I guess I don't know the backstory on this one.

floskate
10-15-2011, 05:38 PM
There was a podium vid posted on gymnastike and Marta was trying to give her instructions and McKayla pretty much just ignored her and carried on walking. She always looks as though she's sucking on lemons and everyone around her has serious BO.

And I LOVE her for it!! :cheer: :glamor:

Loves_Shizuka
10-15-2011, 05:50 PM
^Ha; she does have that "what the f**k is that smell?!" expression, pretty much at all times.

... I'm not sure I love her for it though...

floskate
10-15-2011, 06:00 PM
^Ha; she does have that "what the f**k is that smell?!" expression, pretty much at all times.

What I meant was that it makes her so unlike many american rombots. She's unique and I like her. One of my fave moments of the TF was her floor on the middle pass where she stuck her double tuck just millimetres inside the floor. She just rammed her arms round and her face was like 'don't even think about giving me a red flag bitch'. :lol:

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 06:18 PM

You're not the only one. I think she looks like a spoilt brat straight out of Gossip Girl. Contrast her to Musty whose look also screams 'DI-VAH!' but without the nastiness. I don't know, McKayla might be all strawberries and cream behind the scenes, but I'm shallow enough to root for someone based on how nice they look. :P

I won't be too upset if Maroney wins VT in London because she's got great form, but I'm hoping that someone emerges to give her a challenge. I'd love for it to be Oksana (bless her heart) if not for her fugly form, and as for Cheng Fei, I don't think she'll be ready in time for London. Jade, maybe? But with her latest injury who knows if she'll ever get back her Amanar let alone be able to compete next year. :(

Mayra
10-15-2011, 06:30 PM
You're not the only one. ;) I think she looks like a spoilt brat straight out of Gossip Girl. Contrast her to Musty whose look also screams 'DI-VAH!' but without the nastiness. I don't know, McKayla might be all strawberries and cream behind the scenes, but I'm shallow enough to root for someone based on how nice they look. :P

ETA: One more thing, just to hit my point home. (lol) If Mustafina was born in the U.S. but was otherwise exactly the same, people would consider her a spoiled, snotty, pouty American brat...with horrible form! However, she is Russian so she is a bad ass bitch with artistic integrity!

:rofl::rofl:

Maroney is one bad ass gymnast and like Floskate, I love her for it. The US has a tendency to produce the really perky, the sulky/mad and the robotic in droves. As I'm all for diversity, I welcome the addition of Maroney. :lol: Especially as she backs it up with results. :respec:

Bryan
10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Ha ha, I too think Maroney seems like a snooty b*tch. She reminds me of Sasha Cohen.

Doesn't matter though, I still think she's awesome on vault.

Beefcake
10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
:rofl::rofl:

Maroney is one bad ass gymnast and like Floskate, I love her for it. The US has a tendency to produce the really perky, the sulky/mad and the robotic in droves. As I'm all for diversity, I welcome the addition of Maroney. :lol: Especially as she backs it up with results. :respec:
:P Cute, but that list sounds like far more variety of gymnast than any other federation. Most go decades featuring no more than two of those flavors.

The addition of the bad ass would seem to complete the set ... oh wait, except they'd still be missing the unattainable* "born Russian therefore prenatally graceful" girl. ;)

*er, couple of exceptions, e.g. Miss Nastia

Loves_Shizuka
10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
This is never gonna end, is it?! :rofl:

Anyway, I think the US has had a fair few "badass" gymnasts - ASac and Memmel qualify, surely?!

millyskate
10-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Totally :cheer: for Phan! She's so graceful in her run-up, too :lol: