PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #7

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Domshabfan
10-15-2011, 12:05 PM
yeah we have, but I bet she could still put a mean uneven bars set together.

I know this code would have been perfect for her considering how many new elements she introduced when competing under the old code. I think we would have seen more Khorkinas if she was competing.

judgejudy27
10-15-2011, 12:28 PM
How cool would it be if Khorkina came back for UB/BB... I mean if Chusovitina and Ponor could do it.. They would have Komova/Mustafina/Grishina AA, throw in Khorkina UB/BB and Afanasyeva VT/FX and that is epic. She knew how to do enough skills on both events to get high difficulty scores.

Then over on the US side we have Wieber/Bross/Ross AA with Liukin UB/BB and Maroney VT/FX and oh my.. :swoon:

*daydreaming*

Khorkina was struggling majorly on beam when she first retired. I shudder to think what her beam would probably look like now at 33, having been retired for many years. Yeah Ponor has come back for beam, and her beam was light years better than Khorkina in Athens (if Khorkina could have borrowed Ponors she would have won the AA easily), and Ponor has been competing off and on ever since Athens pretty much.

tchaikovsky_177
10-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Sadly, Yibing may be left off the O team next year if China can't carry him on the 5 man team, does he do anything else? Did Brazil qualify a full team or does Zanetti just get his automatic berth?

I highly doubt it. He can be used for vault as well. As far as apparatuses go, he is the most likely to get gold (pretty much never misses). He is China's team captain and the most experienced guy on the team, so he has a psychological role as well.

The one man on the team who should be worried is probably Teng Haibin, who bombed PH (and not really the first time either) and wasn't that good on the other 2 apparatuses he did either.

museksk8r
10-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Steven Legendre just hit an out of this world set though so hopefully he gets to take home a medal this year! :cheer:

I don't think Legendre is ever going to see an individual World medal until his gymnastics develops some artistry, finesse, and clean lines. He is all about power while many of the world's best men combine the power with the artistry. The transitions between the tumbling in his floor routines are not World class, IMO.

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Hmm, I'm not an expert but I'm not sure about placing Nabs over HQS. The latter did a better routine today than she did in both TF and AA and she still scored lower. Nabs looked really sloppy to me and I'm pretty sure had form issues of her own. Whatever the result, HQS again looked scared to death before she even mounted and I wouldn't trust her on next year's team to London. It's a pity Gabby hit the low bar because she had an awesome routine otherwise. I'm not exactly thrilled that Komova won ever since reading that her mom may have told the press that the judges were intent on giving Komova the UB gold if she didn't slip up.

If Sui Lu bombs tomorrow and fails to win beam gold for China, I will be majorly peeved.

Loves_Shizuka
10-15-2011, 01:55 PM
^Re: Komova's mom; I think the general consensus is that it was all "lost in translation". What I actually think she was saying was that, judging by the scores in the other segment of the competition, plus Vika's SV in comparison to the rest of the field, the judges clearly like her UB set the best, and it was hers to lose - which, to be fair, was totally true. I'm pretty sure this is what the situation there, was.

I agree HQS should have been 2nd. I also agree that Sui Lu winning tomorrow would be a fantastic result; she's the best beam worker here IMO. I really hope she can hold it together; even if she doesn't win, I hope she hits. She's totally messed things up at the last two worlds. :( All the best to her.

bek
10-15-2011, 02:05 PM
How cool would it be if Khorkina came back for UB/BB... I mean if Chusovitina and Ponor could do it.. They would have Komova/Mustafina/Grishina AA, throw in Khorkina UB/BB and Afanasyeva VT/FX and that is epic. She knew how to do enough skills on both events to get high difficulty scores.

Then over on the US side we have Wieber/Bross/Ross AA with Liukin UB/BB and Maroney VT/FX and oh my.. :swoon:

*daydreaming*

The Russians really don't need Khorkina on bars. Grishina,Komova and Mustafina well all of them their best event is bars. Khorkina's presence though is felt in their use of her transition. Zamo has a better shot at a comeback, and even Pavs (obviously)

Khorkina and Pavlova re both not going to make Russian team, Khorkina is happy as a member of Duma (russian legislative assembly) and Pavlova doesn't seem to have difficulty except vt, where she is able to do a DTY. On top of that Alekandrov or Rodinenko does not seem to trust her. Many russian gymnasts will have to drop injured for Pavs to have any chance of making the team, personally i hope she won't make the team and other girls will get an opportunity.

Another poster implied that the Russian coaches all are not over what went down in Beijing. Pavs was the leader and she made mistake after mistake in team finals. It would be one thing if she was inexperienced because these king of mistakes but she's not. The whole getting a zero on vault in Event Finals, probably seal the deal completely there.

Plus not to mention Alexandrov reportedly insists national team memembers have at least 2 great routines, and train a third. And Pavs is only useful on vault, and she only has a DTY there.

I actually don't blame the Russian coaches for being done with Pavs. I must say I think a great job has been done at getting these girls more and more consistent.

[QUOTE=mrinalini;3322438]Hmm, I'm not an expert but I'm not sure about placing Nabs over HQS. The latter did a better routine today than she did in both TF and AA and she still scored lower. Nabs looked really sloppy to me and I'm pretty sure had form issues of her own. Whatever the result, HQS again looked scared to death before she even mounted and I wouldn't trust her on next year's team to London. It's a pity Gabby hit the low bar because she had an awesome routine otherwise. I'm not exactly thrilled that Komova won ever since reading that her mom may have told the press that the judges were intent on giving Komova the UB gold if she didn't slip up.

If Sui Lu bombs tomorrow and fails to win beam gold for China, I will be majorly peeved.

Navs can be sloppy at times but not as much on bars as vault (at times but still). What Nabs has that the Chinese lack is great swing and fluidity. As for Komova, the only bar workers in the world capable of defeating her, were not int his final. I'm not in love with Komova's routine composition but technically she's great. It would be a shame if she lost gold because of her mom's words.

Fergus
10-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Catching the vids now!

Mmmm, Berki's schnozz and thick-n-juicy trouty mouth. :swoon: Not a bad PH routine, either! :D

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up, LS. IMO, the mom shouldn't have been talking to the press about such matters anyway, and I didn't like that she did because it instantly coloured my view of Komova who has quickly become one of my favourites. I simply detest political judging. The mom shouldn't even have been at Worlds in any kind of judging capacity which I have read that she was.

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Navs can be sloppy at times but not as much on bars as vault (at times but still). What Nabs has that the Chinese lack is great swing and fluidity. As for Komova, the only bar workers in the world capable of defeating her, were not int his final. I'm not in love with Komova's routine composition but technically she's great. It would be a shame if she lost gold because of her mom's words.

Nabs has better swing and ease between the bars than HQS, no question. I just thought that some of the positions she hit today were really sloppy, and I'd deduct for those just as much as HQS's laboured swing. I thought it could have gone either way, and I'd have given it to HQS.

Komova was the best bar worker today, that's for certain. But if the judges were favouring her even before the event started and were willing to be lenient with her while not offering that privilege to others, I wouldn't exactly mourn if Komova took a splat and put a wrench in the judges' plans, let's just put it that way.

bek
10-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Nabs has better swing and ease between the bars than HQS, no question. I just thought that some of the positions she hit today were really sloppy, and I'd deduct for those just as much as HQS's laboured swing. I thought it could have gone either way, and I'd have given it to HQS.

Komova was the best bar worker today, that's for certain. But if the judges were favouring her even before the event started and were willing to be lenient with her while not offering that privilege to others, I wouldn't exactly mourn if Komova took a splat and put a wrench in the judges' plans, let's just put it that way.

The judges were favoring Komova the way they were favoring Chen Yibang. She's pretty much dominated that event this week. If Beth had been in the event and Komova's mom was saying that it would be one thing. But my suspician is what really went down is look Vera don't get to upset, your daughter if she hits will win bars, because your daughter's been scoring way higher all week.

And I have a suspician that the judges were in the case of Huang vs Nabs sending a message about where they want bars to go. (Huang had her issues) too.

Loves_Shizuka
10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up, LS. IMO, the mom shouldn't have been talking to the press about such matters anyway, and I didn't like that she did because it instantly coloured my view of Komova who has quickly become one of my favourites. I simply detest political judging. The mom shouldn't even have been at Worlds in any kind of judging capacity which I have read that she was.

Agreed on all counts. Even though what she was actually saying isn't as bad as it first implies, I agree, she shouldn't have been talking at all.

mrinalini
10-15-2011, 03:01 PM
The judges were favoring Komova the way they were favoring Chen Yibang. She's pretty much dominated that event this week. If Beth had been in the event and Komova's mom was saying that it would be one thing. But my suspician is what really went down is look Vera don't get to upset, your daughter if she hits will win bars, because your daughter's been scoring way higher all week.

And I have a suspician that the judges were in the case of Huang vs Nabs sending a message about where they want bars to go. (Huang had her issues) too.

Judging on reputation is one thing (and Komova does NOT have the reputation on bars that Chen has on SR, so to me that comparison is pointless); deciding that you're going to give someone the gold before the event has even started so long as they don't make any major errors is another.

And by the way, I don't like judging on reputation either. If judging on reputation means that if a reputable gymnast makes errors here and there (however slight), the judges are more willing to turn a blind eye to those mistakes then I'm totally against it.

bek
10-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Judging on reputation is one thing (and Komova does NOT have the reputation on bars that Chen has on SR, so to me that comparison is pointless); deciding that you're going to give someone the gold before the event has even started so long as they don't make any major errors is another.

And by the way, I don't like judging on reputation either. If judging on reputation means that if a reputable gymnast makes errors here and there (however slight), the judges are more willing to turn a blind eye to those mistakes then I'm totally against it.

Obviously Komova doesn't have Chen's reputation. But she was clearly the best bar worker by bar in this final. The judges scores have been consistent on that. Its not like Komova's routine was that different than it was before. I used Chen as an example of someone who is far ahead of the rest of the field. It was a weak field. Once again if Tweddle had been in the mix, I doubt Vera would have felt that way. And the scores Vika got on bars are the scores she's been getting on bars for the last two seasons. Its not like Vika's bars scores took this great big jump. She scored similarily at Junior Euros, YOGs etc.

Choupette
10-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Uh oh, I've never considered tied when I designed the prediction contest system. :o I should have thought of a tiebreaker before the competition started! :lol:

I'll enter the results as Hypolito in 3rd and Shatilov in 4th for the moment and Koczi and Gonzalez Sepuldeva in 6th and 7th, and tomorrow, after the competition concludes, I'll reverse their rankings and calculate the contest again, and see what the differences are. :) I'll just post here everybody's maximum points. :)

I've updated the results daily since the competition started, and will update them again in a few minutes. :)