PDA

View Full Version : Pan Am - Season One

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

PeterG
10-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Looks like we're enjoying this show enough for it to merit it's own thread. Haven't watched last night's episode yet, so I'm borrowing a few comments from the TV dramas thread to get things going.

One comment about the actor who plays Dean (the pilot who was dating Bridget). I knew I recognized him from somewhere, finally remember him from the TV show "Miami Medical" (led by Jeremy Northam). His name is Mike Vogel, I had seem him in the movie "Cloverfield" as well. According to imdb.com, he was in two movies this year, "The Help" and "What's Your Number", but I haven't seen either of those yet.

(And on a side note, Lana Parrilla, who was also in Miami Mecial, will be soon be seen on the small screen in "Once Upon A Time" as Mayor Regina/the Evil Queen. Now let's get Jeremy Northam working again!! :lol:)

Borrowed Pan Am posts:

Man, on Pan Am tonight, Christina Ricci looked TINY walking in the streets of Berlin. They must have forgotten to do whatever they do to make her look tall enough on the plane. (and she must weigh like 6 pounds...but without looking sick)

Good episode tonight...seems a bit stupid to dress the German spy as a stewardess...seems to say pretty clearly one of them has a connection.

I liked Pan Am tonight too. I had a moment though where I forgot this was set in the 60's. When they were all talking about being in Berlin and mentioned the wall, I actually thought to myself, "What wall?!" Wow, how quickly I forget my world history! This show is going to do wonders for helping me remember all those big historical moments, LOL

I did think it was funny that she finally looked so short next to the other ladies...but I disagree about not looking sick. She looked really scrawny in a not-healthy way in a lot of the shots

I do love how off the rails determined her character was to see Kennedy though

There was an interesting article on the TVGuide site that talked about the costumes for Pan Am. One of the executive producers was a PA stew during the early 60s. The actors all have to really wear girdles and long-line bras to get the correct look under the skirts and jackets. There was to be no jiggling and a lady stood up perfectly straight. They have to wear very sheer nude colored hose and the show goes through an average of 2 pair/actor/day including all the extras. The hats are hand made by one milliner in LA. They are made the way hats used to be made and are in huge demand. They use 100s of pairs of white gloves that all have to be laundered. I was thinking last night how fashion would change in only a couple of years from 1963 to 1968 and the British mini-skirt invasion.

danceronice
10-10-2011, 10:20 PM
My big laugh: like it was THAT hard for an attractive girl to get near Kennedy. A BIG issue that we now know was that the women he had brought in were in many cases near strangers and weren't vetted. Maggie wouldn't have had that big a problem and she'd probably have gotten closer than she bargained.

I didn't have a huge issue with the German girl getting dressed up, but it would have been smarter to sneak her on an internal flight to Munich or Frankfurt and have her defect within West Germany--no passport needed and she's in the clear.

My brother the Pan Am collector pointed out 1. Colette would be fired for the singing stunt, Maggie would at minimum be suspended for missing the return flight if not sacked for using Mr. Trippe's name to try and get in the party 2. low-ranking new girl wouldn't be on any of these flights or allowed to choose a high-demand route like day to London, she'd be on reserve and going wherever they needed to stick someone on a crew, definitely NOT on a press charter and 3. the captain's too young to be a captain. At the time the senior captains getting the good runs were pre-war and WWII era. This guy would have sufficient seniority to get the favored routes in the late '70s.

And Christina Ricci looks scary-thin, not healthy-petite. And SHORT!

Fergus
10-11-2011, 12:00 AM
So one of the Circulation ladies at my library gig is a former flight attendant (probably one of the reasons why she's so cool even with the most difficult "problem" patrons!), beginning in the late 60s.

So I had to ask her: Is it true about the girdle checks?

Her response: "Yes, we had to wear them. Then the 70s came along and they got hip to things and decided to 'liberate' us. So the idiots put us in HOT-PANTS!". :lol:

PeterG
10-11-2011, 03:04 AM
Sorry if I'm being dense, but as for Colette's story...she grew up in a Jewish family in France and when the Nazi's invaded France, her parents gave her to one of their neighbours, hoping to escape the Nazi's, but failing. The parents are killed by the Nazi's and everyone else in Colette's family is killed, or her parents had no (or few) siblings. So now Colette has no family (except for the neighbourhood family who took her in)? :( (Have I got it right?)

It was an interesting episode...from an almost frivilous story about getting to meet the president, to Colette's (horror) story (as well as the storyline about the East German agent/"courier").

Buzz
10-11-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah you got it right. It is a fairly common story from the War. Another one is the custordy fights over those children that erupted after the war. The law states they must go to surviving blood relations but in many case the families wanted to keep the children and the children for their part in many cases did not want to live with people who were strangers to them.

And yeah I noticed the captain's age right off but let it pass. Guess they did not want to have a middle aged captain romancing the young flight attendants. LOL

avivadawn
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
I haven't found a show that I am this addicted to since probably Charmed (in the first season or two...) and I just love Pan Am!

The latest episode kind of had me very much "WTF" about the 'chasing JFK" storyline....but I loved the rest of the episode.

Favorite scene: All of the girls scrambling up the stairs then standing and watching the speech. I wanted to hold Colette. Really. :(

PeterG
10-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Guess they did not want to have a middle aged captain romancing the young flight attendants. LOL

:lol: That'd be a first for Hollywood!

Favorite scene: All of the girls scrambling up the stairs then standing and watching the speech. I wanted to hold Colette. Really. :(

I was reading posts at imdb.com to make sure I understood everything that happened this episode and a lot of people there felt the same for you. I think that Karine Vanasse
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0888468/) (as Colette) might be the breakout star of this show. :respec:

Fergus
10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry if I'm being dense, but as for Colette's story...she grew up in a Jewish family in France and when the Nazi's invaded France, her parents gave her to one of their neighbours...

Was it stated that she was indeed from a Jewish family? She might have said it, I sometimes don't get the subtle mumbling in prime time drama... :confused:

skatesindreams
10-11-2011, 05:34 PM
I think that Karine Vanasse
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0888468/) (as Colette) might be the breakout star of this show. :respec:

She's wonderful!

Lara
10-11-2011, 05:40 PM
And keep in mind she likely had to change her natural accent for the show to sound more French than Quebec. I think it's kinda cool she's from there, while the guy who plays the captain is from the Philly area (as reported on the local news). :)

Was Colette's family specifically said to be Jewish? I'd have to read up but I'm not sure how discriminatory the Nazis were once they invaded other countries like France...

WindSpirit
10-11-2011, 06:07 PM
If someone missed an episode, you can watch it on ABC.com

Direct link: http://abc.go.com/watch/pan-am/SH55126544

Rob
10-11-2011, 07:21 PM
Thanks.

nerdycool
10-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Was Colette's family specifically said to be Jewish? I'd have to read up but I'm not sure how discriminatory the Nazis were once they invaded other countries like France...It wasn't specifically mentioned that her family was Jewish, but it is likely. If they weren't, they could have been working in the Resistance or maybe were political/religious dissidents. But if they were trying to escape, my bet is that they were Jewish. If they were in the Resistance or were dissidents, they would have felt compelled to stay to fight.

Lutzcy
10-11-2011, 08:54 PM
I'd have to read up but I'm not sure how discriminatory the Nazis were once they invaded other countries like France...

I want to avoid thread drift, so all I can say is, "Yes, please, do read up on it." Or - you could watch the movie "Inglorious Basterds"- yes, it is fictionalized fantasy, but from all the historians' accounts, the treatment of the Jewish people is accurate. Or visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington D.C. It was a dreadful, dreadful time.

genevieve
10-12-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think Lara is questioning the treatment of Jewish people during the Holocaust - I believe she was wondering if the Nazis spent much time figuring out, once they started invading other countries, who was Jewish, or if any and all civilians may have been killed just for having been the enemy.