PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Hicks out for season with leg injury [Confirmed]

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

n*ice mom
10-13-2011, 06:31 AM
I wonder if there could have been a pre-existing stess fracture. It's a repetitive use injury, so skaters would only notice pain during certain moves, until it gets really bad. If you ever suspect one, see an orthopedist and get an MRI. Stress fractures are like cracks throughout an egg shell. If you don't rest for 12 week than you risk having one of those cracks to get worse and eventually a piece, or pieces will break off. It takes longer to heal stress fractures than clean breaks.

Jammers
10-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Nicks makes a good point about Hicks not being herself in the SP. She is usually a strong jumper but she wasn't right in the SP with her two falls. Makes me wonder if something was already wrong with her leg but she wasn't feeling the pain yet. To bad i was looking foward to to seeing her at Nationals skating against the big girls this year.

Polymer Bob
10-13-2011, 12:04 PM
This doesn't sound very good. I hope she gets better fast. :(

Jarrett
10-13-2011, 05:44 PM
I hope she doesn't go the way of Deanna Stellato. :(

Debbie S
10-13-2011, 07:19 PM
IN article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111012&content_id=25619922&vkey=ice_news

Lanie
10-13-2011, 07:27 PM
Poor girl. I hope she gets better soon and that the surgery went well.

Jenna
10-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for fixing the title, whoever it was!

Coco
10-14-2011, 12:07 AM
THis is an odd question, but when an elite skater gets injured like this, what happens to the ice time and lessons they've booked?

Can she cancel the ice time? How far do skaters pay in advance? Also, if the coach can't fill in his/her sessions that the now injured skater had scheduled, are they out all that $$?

Ziggy
10-14-2011, 12:26 AM
THis is an odd question, but when an elite skater gets injured like this, what happens to the ice time and lessons they've booked?

Can she cancel the ice time? How far do skaters pay in advance? Also, if the coach can't fill in his/her sessions that the now injured skater had scheduled, are they out all that $$?

It might be seen as inappropriate and no disrespect to Courtney meant. But I was wondering the exact same thing.

MacMadame
10-14-2011, 12:40 AM
At the rinks I've skated at, ice time is not booked that far out and in this case the skater would possibly be given a refund no matter what the official policy was. I think the most I've seen ice booked for was 6 weeks out but there may be rinks that do it as far out as 3 months. However, most of the rinks I've skated out would bill for ice time in one month chunks.

OTOH, a lot of rinks have a punch card which could just be sold off to another skater or used when she gets back (if it doesn't expire; sometimes they expire).

It's quite unlikely that John Nicks (her coach) wouldn't be able to fill in her lesson time easily. He probably is turning down people for extra lessons all the time. However, if a skater wants to keep that time booked for them, they have to pay for it.

mag
10-14-2011, 12:45 AM
We pay for ice by the season, Sept to March, April to June, and then July and August are paid for in June but you don't need to buy the whole summer you can choose the weeks you want. With any injury that last more than two weeks you can apply for a refund in the form of ice credits.

viennese
10-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Sad for her. I hope she heals well and bounces back strong.

Louise
10-14-2011, 01:37 AM
We pay for ice by the season, Sept to March, April to June, and then July and August are paid for in June but you don't need to buy the whole summer you can choose the weeks you want. With any injury that last more than two weeks you can apply for a refund in the form of ice credits.

Yes. This is probably what will happen with the ice time. As for if Mr. Nicks still wants to get paid for four months of nothing, well, maybe that's a legal issue. I'm sure the Hick's family is spending plenty enough in medical bills, and eventual rehab and PT. . The last thing they need to be thinking of is paying Nicks for 4 months of ice time/lessons when she is trying to walk right again. This is actually a serious injury. Very serious. It may take years for her to get it back if at all. Not to be a downer. I would not be surprised if she retired say in 2013 after never recovering, sorta like Meissner. You reach for the brass ring, and some unfortunately don't get it. I do not see Sochi or beyond. Very sad, because though she was rough she had moments of elegance, and her jumps were great.

Also I remembered reading MacMadame stating that a bone is stronger after a break is healed, I hope it was on this thread. Well the answer is NO. MacMadame was giving false information. Here is a NYT article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/19/health/19really.html
Basically what it says is the healed bone is not 'stronger' but possibly just as strong as before. I studied PT, Ortho, and have been trained by the experts that a broken bone is *more* vulnerable to breaks. It is an old wive's tale that a broken leg is stronger than the other. Nope. If anything, at best, it is JUST as strong. But MacMadame was wrong. Feel free to cite anything different. At best Courtney will come back to a leg that is just as strong. However, many believe that this is not actually the case, and if she gets a plate in, it will weaken the surrounding bone. This is a big deal. Don't want to rain on a parade, but this could end her career.

johndockley92
10-14-2011, 01:38 AM
I wonder if there could have been a pre-existing stess fracture. It's a repetitive use injury, so skaters would only notice pain during certain moves, until it gets really bad. If you ever suspect one, see an orthopedist and get an MRI. Stress fractures are like cracks throughout an egg shell. If you don't rest for 12 week than you risk having one of those cracks to get worse and eventually a piece, or pieces will break off. It takes longer to heal stress fractures than clean breaks.

From what i heard, yes, she had been having knee issues in practice. But that's just what I HEARD.

crzesk8dad
10-14-2011, 03:39 AM
It might be seen as inappropriate and no disrespect to Courtney meant. But I was wondering the exact same thing.
Ice time in Southern California rinks is "pay as you go". Some use a prepaid system, where you have debit account and each time you skate the session is withdrawn, others use the punch card method and others just have you pay cash each time you go on the ice.

A few rinks, over the busy summer time (we have a non-qual just about every weekend from May to October) will have you pre-book and/or pre-pay for a period of two weeks to one month. That is to make sure the regulars get the time they need first, before the "walk-ups".

None of the SoCal rinks, that I am aware of have you pay for ice time ahead of time and then if you don't you lose it. Most of the rink management here is pretty understanding about injuries, etc.

As far as the coach goes, that is between the skater, parent and coach. But, knowing the "old pro" (and I mean that with admiration and respect) that Mr. Nicks is, I'm sure he will work something out and support Courtney's recovery.