PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Hicks out for season with leg injury [Confirmed]

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Wyliefan
10-12-2011, 08:09 AM
She broke it on the takeoff?? I've never heard of such a thing. Poor girl! :(

MacMadame
10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Don't they even say that the part where the bone once broke is unlikely to ever break again?

Once a broken bone heals, it is stronger than it was before. Of course, it can always break again if the forces are just right, but it's going to take more force than the first time.

Although I had a friend who had a broken collarbone and they put a plate in to help hold it in place while it healed. He didn't get the plate taken out and then had a similar fall to the first one and this time the bone snapped right along the edge of the plate.

So it's going to depend on the exact break and how it is treated...

Rob
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Although I had a friend who had a broken collarbone and they put a plate in to help hold it in place while it healed. He didn't get the plate taken out and then had a similar fall to the first one and this time the bone snapped right along the edge of the plate.

I have a friend who fell and broke her arm (upper humerus) earlier this summer and they put in a rod. It was nearly healed, and she fell again and it snapped along the bottom edge of the rod just above her elbow.

Debbie S
10-12-2011, 05:02 PM
She broke it on the takeoff?? I've never heard of such a thing. Poor girl! :(There is a lot of torque generated on a lutz takeoff.

Once a broken bone heals, it is stronger than it was before. Of course, it can always break again if the forces are just right, but it's going to take more force than the first time.

So it's going to depend on the exact break and how it is treated...

I have a friend who fell and broke her arm (upper humerus) earlier this summer and they put in a rod. It was nearly healed, and she fell again and it snapped along the bottom edge of the rod just above her elbow.OK, these stories are not what I needed to hear, lol. :eek:

I have read that plates sometimes cause stress to the area of the bone at each end of the plate - metal handles force differently than bone - so I guess if there is enough force, there could be a break at that point.

I guess if a bone isn't healed, there is a risk of refracture even with hardware, but yikes, that has to be awful for your friend, Rob. I hope she's doing OK.

I ran the bone-will-never-break-again theory by my ortho at one point and he said that there is always a chance that a bone could break, if there's enough force/torque. He did say that the rod and screws would prevent my tibia from breaking again (of course, the fibula could break....) and advises people to keep it in, but I was having a lot of discomfort both walking and skating, and given that I'm fairly young, and active, I didn't want to deal with that the rest of my life, so I got it all removed.

And I sure hope I never, ever, ever break a bone again.

victoriaheidi
10-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Oh no. :( Sending Courtney a million virtual hugs.

julianaqtpi
10-12-2011, 08:06 PM
:( So sad! I was looking on YouTube for the video of her freeskate and no wonder I couldn't find it. Hopefully she makes a full recovery, she's an amazing skater!

Does anyone have a video of this? I'd still like to see it.

Sylvia
10-12-2011, 08:15 PM
Does anyone have a video of this? I'd still like to see it.
Fortunately the ISU had the good sense not to upload the beginning of Courtney's FS in Milan.

Best wishes to Courtney for a complete recovery! As I posted in another thread, even if her season is over, her JGP gold medal in Australia should qualify her to be placed in the Team C funding envelope next season at least.

FSfan107
10-12-2011, 09:05 PM
How awful! :( My best wishes and prayers go out to Courtney for a full recovery.

sk9tingfan
10-12-2011, 09:21 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-injury-knocks-top-young-us-skater-out-for-season-20111012,0,3208045.column

Debbie S
10-12-2011, 09:29 PM
Nicks said the injury occurred on the jump, a triple flip, that opens her free skate. Oh, so it wasn't the lutz but the flip. Even w/o the counter-rotation, I imagine there is still a lot of torque involved.

Hicks' coach, the venerable John Nicks, told me Wednesday by telephone that doctors have said the skater will be off the ice at least four months after chipping a leg bone in Saturday's free skate at the Junior Grand Prix event in Italy

......"I saw the x-ray, and it showed a triangular piece of bone about one inch on all sides had come away (from the tibia) below the knee," Nicks said. "The doctor told me he had never really seen one like that before."
:eek: Four months is actually a pretty good recovery time. Best wishes to Courtney for a speedy recovery. I hope she :kickass: next season!

Vash01
10-12-2011, 09:36 PM
Just a general comment:

Anyone that thinks figure skating is not a sport, should see what these skaters go through. They risk an injury everytime they step on the ice, just like football players who may be potentially playing their last game every time.

Best wishes to Courtney!

caseyedwards
10-12-2011, 09:37 PM
Hope she recovers fully in the four months.

Jenna
10-12-2011, 09:38 PM
If a mod. could remove the question mark and "unconfirmed" from the thread title now that we have official confirmation of the injury, that would be great. :)

Iceman
10-13-2011, 04:43 AM
It is a chipped bone, not a break---so the entire title needs to be changed

Jenna
10-13-2011, 05:20 AM
It is a chipped bone, not a break---so the entire title needs to be changed

Yes, that's true. Initial hearsay reports suggested a break, but the bone was chipped after all.