PDA

View Full Version : Courtney Hicks out for season with leg injury [Confirmed]

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

mag
10-11-2011, 01:05 AM
Major :(. I hate to say it, but I thought she was pushing way too hard this season with quads, combinations ending in triple loop, and really tricky footwork in and out of jumps. It was very exciting to watch but I wonder if it was too much all at once.

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.

But she wasn't trying quads when this happened. I know a skater who broke her leg doing a three turn ... I hope her recovery is non eventful and she is back next season. I also hopes she continues to push the technical envelope.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Courtney!

Lacey
10-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I cannot imagine the pain.

HeatherC
10-11-2011, 01:25 AM
Poor thing. I hope she has a speedy and complete recovery. :(

Rochelle
10-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Wow. :( I imagine we'll hear something somewhat official in the next week or so if she is out for the season or not. I wish her a complete recovery.

Regardless, can you imagine flying home so soon with such an injury? That's a really long set of flights back home to CA, with no real opportunity for comfort all of those hours.

I've seen many people on crutches, in hard casts, soft casts, walking casts, in wheel chairs, etc. fly... but is it even advised/permitted to fly within just a couple of days of a serious bone fracture (assuming that's the actual injury)?

Debbie S
10-11-2011, 02:22 AM
But she wasn't trying quads when this happened. I know a skater who broke her leg doing a three turn ... I'm one of those. I'd had falls that were a lot harder than that - I just got off-balance during an RBO 3-turn, left foot came down as I fell, left toepick got stuck in the ice, and I ended up falling on my left leg as it twisted around underneath me. I was skating pretty slow into the turn, it was just the way I fell. My type of tibia fracture (spiral) is caused by a violent twisting motion. There's really nothing anyone can do to decrease their risk (well, except not play sports, but you could also have a car accident, or fall in your house....). I did work with my PT (who is also a skating coach) and my coach on the correct way to fall - I tend to stiffen up and try to keep from falling, when I should be bending my knees and just sitting down - it's possible my gut reaction right after the turn made things worse, so I am making a conscious effort to react differently now.

Regardless, can you imagine flying home so soon with such an injury? That's a really long set of flights back home to CA, with no real opportunity for comfort all of those hours.

I've seen many people on crutches, in hard casts, soft casts, walking casts, in wheel chairs, etc. fly... but is it even advised/permitted to fly within just a couple of days of a serious bone fracture (assuming that's the actual injury)?I can't imagine it, either. Hopefully, she can get an aisle seat (maybe they could even get her in first or business class) and be able to keep her leg elevated. There is always a clot risk, but Courtney is young and in top physical condition, so she is probably less at risk than average. Hopefully, she's got some good painkillers, too.

LilJen
10-11-2011, 02:33 AM
But she wasn't trying quads when this happened. I know a skater who broke her leg doing a three turn ... I hope her recovery is non eventful and she is back next season. I also hopes she continues to push the technical envelope.
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Courtney!

Poor girl!! Yes, I have broken BOTH ankles (once the tibia & fibula, once just the fib) doing a whole lotta nothing. Stuff like this can be a total fluke (although of course there are various conditions that can make a person more fracture prone), and it really, really SUCKS. I hope she can recover soon and get some good PT to help get the strength back.

Louise
10-11-2011, 02:39 AM
I'm one of those... I did work with my PT (who is also a skating coach) and my coach on the correct way to fall - I tend to stiffen up and try to keep from falling, when I should be bending my knees and just sitting down - it's possible my gut reaction right after the turn made things worse, so I am making a conscious effort to react differently now.

How awful Debbie, I'm in pain just thinking about it. The first thing I learned when I skated was how to fall. You transfer the momentum across the ice as opposed to straight down, and make sure both your feet go up. I took so many bad looking falls where I went maybe 15 feet across the ice on my butt or back or side, but never broke a bone.

I really hope she has a speedy recovery, but I wonder how this will affect her in the future. She's still going to be picking that right leg in for flips and lutzes, and now with a weakened bone after the fracture heals, I wouldn't be doing too many of those again. She has such a wondeful flip too, I'm surprised it happened on that jump.

pinky166
10-11-2011, 02:50 AM
Aww, poor thing! That's terrible! Hope she takes adequate time to rest and bounces back soon! I guess this means no nationals or world/junior worlds for her this season tho :(

Debbie S
10-11-2011, 02:58 AM
I really hope she has a speedy recovery, but I wonder how this will affect her in the future. She's still going to be picking that right leg in for flips and lutzes, and now with a weakened bone after the fracture heals, I wouldn't be doing too many of those again. She has such a wondeful flip too, I'm surprised it happened on that jump.There's no reason why her bone wouldn't be just as strong after it heals as it was before it was broken, esp given Courtney's age and physical condition. In my experience, the biggest hurdle is mental, but Courtney is a much better skater (and more confident) than I am, so I'm optimistic she'll be fine. :)

Lara
10-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Courtney. How unfortunate. :(

Michael O'C
10-11-2011, 04:38 AM
Best wishes to Courtney. I was very impressed with her performance in Brisbane a few weeks ago. Courtney has a great future.

Vash01
10-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Sad to hear this. I hope she recovers soon and comes back strong next season.

crzesk8dad
10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Sad to hear this. I hope she recovers soon and comes back strong next season.

Heard from a reliable source in the SoCal skating community that Courtney "has to have surgery she broke her tibia close to the knee". :(

This one of the toughest parts of the sport and something that skating parents fear; a major injury to your child.

Best wishes to Courtney for a successful surgery (if needed) and a speedy recovery. We all hope to see her back on the ice soon! :D

Debbie S
10-11-2011, 10:16 PM
Heard from a reliable source in the SoCal skating community that Courtney "has to have surgery she broke her tibia close to the knee". :(Oh no! :( I think if it's close to the knee (or ankle) they put in a plate and not a rod, so that should at least avoid her knee. Actually, a friend of my mom's broke her tibia close to the knee skiing and had a couple screws, no other hardware. Hopefully, Courtney won't need anything extensive and will be able to skate as soon as the bone heals.

Sending virtual hugs and vibes for speedy healing!

ballettmaus
10-12-2011, 06:53 AM
There's no reason why her bone wouldn't be just as strong after it heals as it was before it was broken, esp given Courtney's age and physical condition. In my experience, the biggest hurdle is mental, but Courtney is a much better skater (and more confident) than I am, so I'm optimistic she'll be fine. :)

Don't they even say that the part where the bone once broke is unlikely to ever break again? (unless it's a stress fracture when you start training again too early)