PDA

View Full Version : Mom gets run down by train when baby stroller gets stuck

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Civic
10-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Ok fine, I get it. A little overly sentimental. But saying the child is better off with a dead mother? Beyond the pale IMO.

I wonder if the people who feel this way plan on volunteering to do all the stuff the dead mother did for her baby? Feed her, bathe her, change her diapers, etc. Any takers?

MacMadame
10-11-2011, 07:13 AM
What I meant was if the mother showed that kind of blatant lack of judgement, who knows if the next day the mother does something else that puts her little girl's life in danger. Not just health, but LIFE.
Or she could have learned from her mistake and been more careful in the future.

All parents do stupid things at times. Luckily most of us survive anyway. But to think that we'd be better off without our parents because sometimes they do stupid things is ridiculous.

Angelskates
10-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Where were the Good Samaritans that day?

They didn't want to die. I would not have helped; a person is never going to win going up against a train. That's why the warning gates go down before the train actually arrives, because it takes time for the train to stop. I would do exactly what those who were there did - yell.

All parents do stupid things at times.

There's a difference between doing something stupid and doing something unsafe, and life threatening for you and/or your child.

MacMadame
10-11-2011, 08:27 AM
There's a difference between doing something stupid and doing something unsafe, and life threatening for you and/or your child.

I don't agree. I think this mother was a moron and paid for it. But I find the idea that some people truly believe her child is better off now to be completely horrifying.

Angelskates
10-11-2011, 09:36 AM
I think this mother was a moron and paid for it. But I find the idea that some people truly believe her child is better off now to be completely horrifying.

I agree. But I don't think doing something stupid is the same as doing something life threatening/dangerous not just for yourself but for someone else. She was more than than stupid, she was selfish.

Japanfan
10-11-2011, 10:34 AM
She was more than than stupid, she was selfish.

But she gave up her life for that of her child, which is arguably as selfless as a person can be.

Who knew what her mindset was when she entered the tracks? She could have been panicked about something and in a hurry. And she didn't know the stroller would get stuck. . .

So I don't know how fair it is to judge her stupidity? People do stupid things all the time that could potentially have negative consequences for themselves or some else. Even fatal consequences. Except, most people get away with it.

Hannahclear
10-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Yes, of course, she was an absolute idiot. But at least she was willing to pay for her stupidity by putting her child's life first. I just don't think "luck" is compatible with "motherless two year old." That little girl is now without the person pretty much every child psychologist will tell you is the most important in the first three years of life. I damn well hope she's got an awesome dad, grandma and aunties.

duane
10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
But I find the idea that some people truly believe her child is better off now to be completely horrifying.
I immediately took Louise's comments as sarcastic and angry at the mother because of her actions, and she later clarified her comments.

As stated...what if both the mother and child had survived? No one would be calling the mother a hero for saving her child, but would be insisting that the child be removed and the mother charged with child endangerment. Of course, if the mother had survived and the baby killed, everyone would be calling for the mother's head.

The mother was not just "stupid". She was reckless...putting herself and, even worse, her child's life in danger. And I don't think people do reckless, life-threatening things all the time--especially when their child's life is involved.

Beefcake
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I wonder if the people who feel this way plan on volunteering to do all the stuff the dead mother did for her baby? Feed her, bathe her, change her diapers, etc. Any takers?
:blah: Yes, because those menial tasks are what motherhood is all about.

danceronice
10-11-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Naix-f6KSIg

MST3K running commentary and goofy 1950s acting aside, railroad safety video still applies. It's not the train's fault.

numbers123
10-11-2011, 04:05 PM

There are plenty of stupid, unsafe and life threatening things that people do every single day that involve themselves and/or others.

Not using car seats correctly, drinking and driving, walking across an interstate in rush hour traffic (recent event here), etc. Most of those acts are selfish but they get away with them most of the time.

It was a stupid thing to do - I think we agree with that. Whether or not she is a hero for saving her child is another story.

FigureSpins
10-11-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't think anyone's calling her a hero, other than her own mother saying that she saved the baby's life. To me, that's a grieving parent trying to find a slim bit of silver lining after the loss of her own child. Just my read of the article.

I looked at the photo and it's an umbrella stroller - why didn't she just pick up the whole thing and run instead of trying to push it? I could see, if the baby was strapped in, panicking at not being able to undo the buckle, but those strollers aren't heavy - you can grab and go.

Maybe the baby's mother wasn't thinking clearly, or intended the story to end this way. Gotta say - at least one of them survived.

It is absolutely not the train staff's fault - they did everything they could and they must be traumatized. Prayers for all involved.

julieann
10-11-2011, 04:45 PM

:blah: Yes, because those menial tasks are what motherhood is all about.

Don't forget about keeping them off of train tracks when a train is coming, that's probably the most important one. Especially when the arms are down and the lights are flashing.

I always feel so sorry for the train conductor, how awful he/she must feel to see what's about to happen and so powerless to stop it.

MacMadame
10-12-2011, 01:59 AM
/
No one would be calling the mother a hero for saving her child, but would be insisting that the child be removed and the mother charged with child endangerment. Of course, if the mother had survived and the baby killed, everyone would be calling for the mother's head.
I think it would be more accurate to say "Many" or "some" than "No one" and "Everyone".

I looked at the photo and it's an umbrella stroller - why didn't she just pick up the whole thing and run instead of trying to push it? I could see, if the baby was strapped in, panicking at not being able to undo the buckle, but those strollers aren't heavy - you can grab and go.
Many people panic in these situations and don't think clearly.

Karina1974
10-12-2011, 03:10 AM
Many people panic in these situations and don't think clearly.

I wonder what was her excuse before she started crossing the train tracks.