PDA

View Full Version : Dick and Peggy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

bartek
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
What do you think, is there a chance we will hear them doing commentary ever again? They're my favourite commentators, I'd love to have them back instead of Scott and Sandra.

aftershocks
10-10-2011, 12:21 AM
Perhaps anybody would be better than Scott, Sandra, and their sidekick. Sandra paired with someone else might be better, perhaps, but I don't think there's any hope for Scott. I'd love a team of Gannon, Wiley, Dick, Peggy, and Susie Wynne. An online or backstage chat/ summary of the event with Johnny and Tara would also be cool.

Aussie Willy
10-10-2011, 12:27 AM
As much as Dick and Peggy can sometimes be annoying, they certainly are icons of the sport and deserve worshipping and respect. I think give them their own talk show.

ChelleC
10-10-2011, 01:09 AM
Actually, I didn't think Scott was bad in the 1990's when he was on CBS with Verne Lundquist. It's the combination of Scott and Sandra that I can't stand.

shan
10-10-2011, 01:37 AM
I used to think I missed Dick, Peggy and especially Terry, but then I went back and watched some old performance from Nationals in the 90's and early 2000's. They just didn't shut up. Even during the slow parts Terry had to blather on and on giving some piece of the skater's bio. I so much prefer no commentary or for the commentators to wait until the end.

Louise
10-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Well, I loved Dick and Peggy, but eventually Dick started getting too mixed up to really do a good job. Even William F. Buckley knew when it was time to sign off.
I liked how excited Dick got and that he spoke his mind, but that also caused him to get verbal diarrhea sometimes that made no sense. He is too bright a man to make such horrendous gaffes as frequently as he did. It was funny because I rewatched Annett Poeztch's Oly SP, and she planned to do a 2loop-3toe. Everyone knew it. So she's going into the combo and Dick says a 3toe-2loop, no 3loop-2toe! No Dick, it was a 2loop-2toe. Imagine how dumb we all were back then before the internet could really teach us, and here Dick is making mistake after mistake. Uggh.
Scott has never been a favorite of mine. He is WAY too opinionated and has his favorites (usually the ones he wanted for SOI). Sandra was always bitchy but I respected that, because she handed it out to everyone, and really, I found myself thinking the exact same things she would end up saying. But yeah, the combo of Scott and Sandra is too much.
I liked Peggy as a commentator, primarily the latter years where she was the good cop to Dick's bad cop. I never really thought of her as a ballerina on ice, and from the looks of all the old vids she was a jock. I wished she'd have been more athletically oriented in her commentary. But I love Peggy, she's a national treasure.
Someone who has really impressed me as a commentator is Tara Lipinski. She knows her stuff, she explains the mechanics of why a jump failed, and her voice is vanilla (no Roz issues there). I didn't even know it was her commentating on many of the vids I watched. She can add snark if inclined, but she's very very good at commentating.

Aussie Willy
10-10-2011, 02:27 AM
The best commentators are PJ Kwong and the British Guys on Eurosport.

Vash01
10-10-2011, 04:20 AM
I used to think I missed Dick, Peggy and especially Terry, but then I went back and watched some old performance from Nationals in the 90's and early 2000's. They just didn't shut up. Even during the slow parts Terry had to blather on and on giving some piece of the skater's bio. I so much prefer no commentary or for the commentators to wait until the end.

I thought Terry was the most annoying one that just would not shut up during the skate. At least Dick and Peggy were talking about the skating; Terry just kept talking about the off ice stuff, and speculating/imagining, instead of letting the commentators do their jobs. Verne Lundquist had the same problem. He just would not shut up.

aemeraldrainc
10-10-2011, 05:52 AM
I do miss Mr. Button. More so than Fleming. I was just thinking about this earlier.
He's simply irreplaceable, an icon, an institution in the world of figure skating. His thoughts and expertise(and snark:EVILLE: :D) will definitely always be missed.
But I can understand why he's no longer commentating. He is getting older and his mind is not what it used to be. A real shame.
But he has done so much for the sport as it is. I wish there was a way he could be around forever. Ok, that's definitely going too far. :lol:
I guess I really do miss him. :D

We need a smilie for him!! I vote for one anyway.

Time for me to
:slinkaway

Mafke
10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
It don't mean a thing if it aint' got that Dick ....

Wait, that didn't turn out right, let's try again:

There's not enough Dick in that broadcast ....

Maybe I should quit now.

Aussie Willy
10-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Maybe I should quit now.

:lol: This thread could go down very quickly thanks to the likes of you ..... whoops I mean downhill.

paskatefan
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Perhaps anybody would be better than Scott, Sandra, and their sidekick. Sandra paired with someone else might be better, perhaps, but I don't think there's any hope for Scott. I'd love a team of Gannon, Wylie, Dick, Peggy, and Susie Wynne. An online or backstage chat/ summary of the event with Johnny and Tara would also be cool.

I love "Uncle" Dickie, warts and all. He can be caustic at times (and Peggy would be the one to say something positive about a skater), but he is passionate about the sport. I've learned so much from him through the years.

Actually, I didn't think Scott was bad in the 1990's when he was on CBS with Verne Lundquist. It's the combination of Scott and Sandra that I can't stand.

I liked Scott & Verne together. I am grateful that Scott started SOI. While I do admire Scott's enthusiasm, I wish he would tone down the screeching.

Maybe I should quit now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bartek
10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
That's nice to know your opinions on different commentators but could anyone actually answer my question?:lol: Is there a chance we will hear Dick and Peggy again? And I don't think he got so old his mind isn't what it used to be. Last time he did commentary during 2008 Worlds he was perfectly ok, so was he during 2009 worlds where he just talked during warm-up with Michelle.

manleywoman
10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
The best commentators are PJ Kwong and the British Guys on Eurosport.

I totally agree 100%.

Though i love Uncle Dick too.

miki88
10-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Love Dick and Peggy. Button did tend to focus on a few particular things but he is still the most entertaining commentator.