PDA

View Full Version : Dick and Peggy

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Vagabond
10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
I must say that I have liked Michael Weiss's commentary. I never much cared for what he had to say when he was still competing, but he's turned into a very thoughtful, well-spoken commentator. Ditto Tara Lipinski.

aemeraldrainc
10-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning the "Brit Eurosport dudes" and I totally dig 'em, but what are their names? And their relation to skating? Just curious.

falling_dance
10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning the "Brit Eurosport dudes" and I totally dig 'em, but what are their names? And their relation to skating? Just curious.

Chris Howarth and Simon Reed. Howarth represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in men's singles. As far as I know, Reed (younger brother of Oliver) has always been in broadcasting. When Reed is away, Howarth's co-commentator is usually (always?) Nicky Slater, a former competitive ice dancer.

aemeraldrainc
10-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Chris Howarth and Simon Reed. Howarth represented Great Britain at the 1980 Winter Olympics in men's singles. As far as I know, Reed (younger brother to Oliver) has always been in broadcasting. When Reed is away, Howarth's co-commentator has usually (always?) been Nicky Slater, a former ice dancer.

Oh! Ok, thanks. I'm gonna see if I can find any video of them to see what they look like. Thank you.

Aussie Willy
10-10-2011, 10:27 PM
I am pretty sure Simon Reed is one of those commentators who goes from sport to sport whereever he is required. I think I have heard him do tennis. When commentating on skating he always qualifies things by say how he is not an expert and provides opinions based on his "non-skating eye" but I think he does a pretty good job.

From the British side you have also had Robin Cousins and Barry Davis. Although when the broadcast is off but the microphone is still on it is very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Too7aXB5o5A

nubka
10-11-2011, 03:32 AM
I really liking listening to Tara. I think she does a great job! :cheer2:

giselle23
10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
There will never be another commentator as good as Dick. Peggy is replaceable but I thought she and Dick complemented each other well. I miss them both. (Isn't Dick's head injury what cause him to lose a half-step at times? I don't think it's age. 82 isn't all that old).

skatesindreams
10-11-2011, 05:21 PM
He made an amazing recovery from his severe injury.

There will never be another Mr. Button.

Aside from his record as a skater, it is due to him that we in the US got to see coverage on television for many years.
His production company often supplied the footage and he saw to it that it was televised.
Even after the networks had production crews of their own, the footage sometimes came via his company.

We owe him an enormous debt.

dewey
10-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Giselle is correct. Dick Button suffered a traumatic brain injury a few years back (fell on a jump, I believe), and it affected the speech centers in his brain. There was a marked difference in his commentating before and after the injury. What you are hearing is not his mind going; it is him struggling to connect what he is thinking with what he is saying. The same thing happened to my best friend's Dad after he suffered a stroke.

On another subject, I think there are contract issues with Dick working for networks other than ABC, which is why we don't see him as much anymore.

And BTW, I am also on the Tara bandwagon. Her technical analysis is the best in the business.

RumbleFish
10-11-2011, 06:04 PM
(Albeit Sandra is not necessarily bitter toward non-Canadians, as she is particular about how she looks at the sport. Sometimes I agree with her, but often she comes off as elitist with her nose in the air. Shouldn't forget that Sandra has choreographed for non-Canadians, including Brian B, Tara L, and Lu Chen)

Sandra loves Miki Ando and Zhangs, lol.

ItalianFan
10-14-2011, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=muffinbiscuit Outside of the British commentators and Tara, I try not to listen to the commentary.

Totally agree that the Brits oneurosport are THE best commentators and they don't shy away from saying their opinion either.

You guys are very lucky indeed if you don't understand the commentary
if you casually look at some of the Italian broadcasts (Torino 2006 for ex) The Italians are definitely the worst of all!! and they too never ever shut up!

manleywoman
10-14-2011, 07:20 PM
I would rather listen to the sickeningly sweet Peggy than the always bitter (toward non-Canadians) Sandra.:lol:

My feelings exactly.

Maofan7
10-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Totally agree that the Brits oneurosport are THE best commentators and they don't shy away from saying their opinion either.

Agree. I just wish Eurosport would provide more coverage

Coco
10-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I've never thought of Peggy as sickeningly sweet. She's always seemed a bit snide, snobbish, whatever. But she's an institution, and she does a good job.

Sandra's just plain mean. I can live with mean, but not when it's coupled with her narrowmindedness regarding "what skating should look like." Add this to Scott's enthusiasm and his disregard for important technical info, and ...blah.

Triple Butz
10-15-2011, 07:57 PM
I've never thought of Peggy as sickeningly sweet. She's always seemed a bit snide, snobbish, whatever. But she's an institution, and she does a good job.

Sandra's just plan mean. I can live with mean, but not when it's coupled with her narrowmindedness regarding "what skating should look like." Add this to Scott's enthusiasm and his disregard for important technical info, and ...blah.

What I really can't stand about Sandra are her backhanded compliments...like Slutskaya's SP in Turin when she said, "This music makes me smile, because it's like she's not even going to attempt to be artistic..."