PDA

View Full Version : After a long delay . . . skatecast #50: interview with David Kirby, IJS master

Pages : [1] 2

manleywoman
10-09-2011, 01:58 AM
Sorry for the wait everyone! Having two kids is kicking my butt.

Episode #50 is an interview with David Kirby, who knows everything there is to know about figure skating. His father show skated with Sonia Henie. His parents were Canadian champions. He’s been a Novice champion. He skated in Ice Capades. He owns ice rinks. He coaches. He is PSA President. He’s one of the first members of the IJS Technical Committee. He runs SkateRadio. He’s a consultant on skating movies. Did I miss anything? In other words, he is a very interesting interview subject! He also has some amazing insights into IJS and we had a lively discussion on how the mainstream media handles it. :EVILLE:

Hear about how he lived in a motor home with the Protopopovs, and why Sonia Henie once gave him a quarter. The episode is 1 hour, 25 minutes, 50 seconds.

And there's a giveaway:
One lucky winner can win a copy of the book written by David Kirby’s father Michael Kirby: “Figure Skating to Fancy Skating-Memoirs of the Life of Sonja Henie.” It’s a fascinating read about what it was like traveling the world with Sonia Henie and her shows, and thought on skating at the time. It’s a wonderful book for any skater’s library.

Listen here: http://www.manleywoman.com

Next episode is PJ Kwong. I'll try to get it up asap.

Thanks and let me know what you think!

pair mom
10-09-2011, 06:15 PM
But you forgot to mention that he is THE most charming man to meet in person! I had the pleasure at the JGP in Lake Placid a couple of years back....

And when he gets talking about skating in general, or pairs in particular...you just want to pull up a chair and take it all in...He is fascinating! :)

Many thanks for this interview....:)

skatesindreams
10-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Thanks so much, mamleywoman!

Willowway
10-09-2011, 07:15 PM
How coincidentally timely - he resigned the PSA presidency suddenly yesterday. Maybe just too much on his plate right now.

ryanbfan
10-09-2011, 07:53 PM
How fun since I see him all the time at the galleria :) Will have to have a listen!

julieann
10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
What a wonderful interview! I would love to hear him (nd you!) on air rather than Scott and friends who give no useful information.

Great job! I love your interviews!!!

manleywoman
10-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone who has listened so far. :)

How coincidentally timely - he resigned the PSA presidency suddenly yesterday. Maybe just too much on his plate right now.

Yes, very odd timing!

aftershocks
10-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Great interview, and very informative. His take on IJS is quite interesting and timely -- the improvements he suggests can't come fast enough, but he's a visionary talking about 50 years down the line. "Components are very hard to judge. Even if you have a Master's degree in the Arts, you would have a difficult time assessing these five components for a skater." ITA, however, altho' Kirby acknowledged the importance of the artistic side of the sport, he didn't fully explain how he felt both sides of scoring can be developed effectively so that the technical doesn't take precedence over the artistic, or over the whole of a program, not just breaking it up into parts for individual assessment. And, exactly how does the IJS allow for growth in improving the judging of the component side to keep up with the ability eventually for a "machine" to measure the technical side??

Thanks manleywoman for asking the question about Chan as an example of the problems of assessing components under IJS! Too bad Kirby hadn't resigned already and couldn't answer very specifically!

manleywoman
10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I had to take down the podcast for a day for a technical glitch, but it's back up. Please give it a listen if you haven't already. Thanks

Lanna
10-12-2011, 01:38 AM
:cheer2: Downloading now.

caseyedwards
10-12-2011, 03:35 AM
I was wondering how is someone an IJS master so I listened to the interview and it was interesting. I forgot he was the guy on the in house radio system in Vancouver. People here wrote some things he was saying about one of my favorite skaters and I didn't like it. Very true about TV can do a better job in covering skating. Who doesn't want to throw stuff at the TV when Scott Hamilton commentates? LOL. Seriously. I am sure they don't want to clutter up the screen when the skaters are performing but seriously on a tape delayed or even a live event their is no reason not to post the scores as the skaters are skating. You have the protocols and the event is all done do a better job. I think the tape delayed GP events on NBC are great opportunity to get the system known better.

LynnW
10-12-2011, 05:04 AM
I'm listening now. I love the idea of Skate Radio on the television broadcasts. What a fabulous idea! :cheer2: In the alternative, if the powers that be don't want to play Skate Radio on TV, I wish they would broadcast on Ice Network.

Good interview. Thanks.

fsfan22
10-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Next episode is PJ Kwong. I'll try to get it up asap.

PJ is fantastic! I can't wait!!

skatesindreams
10-12-2011, 02:03 PM
Thanks for such an insightful interview, manleywoman,
I learned a great deal from it.

manleywoman
10-13-2011, 03:37 AM
Thanks. :)