PDA

View Full Version : My current pet peeve

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

paskatefan
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Hardly a church, but I went into the ladies room of a Barnes and Noble today only to overhear a loud argument between a woman on her phone and a younger woman-who you could hear somehow over the first woman's phone-as the first woman merrily peed and cursed at the younger woman all at once. I have never in my life been an observer of such a weird situation. A toilet-one end of a conversation uttering obscenities, and overhearing the person on the other end of the phone also uttering obscenities. I did my thing, washed my hands, and was happy to leave.

What IS this world coming to?

Oh, my! That is pathetic.

I felt bad for my rabbi (a very good speaker) at Yom Kippur services yesterday. There was a mass (no pun intended) "exodus" after his sermon, which was between 12;30 PM & 1 PM. I will cut people some slack since the services on Yom Kippur are the longest of the Jewish calendar year (plus the fact that a number of the congregants who live close by probably came back later in the afternoon for the concluding services of the holiday). We don't live in walking distance, rather a 20 minute drive away, and we stayed until about 3:15 PM (at the conclusion of one the the larger segments of the service). I actually enjoy the services and the melodies our cantor uses. I guess what bothered me most was how noisy it got as the rabbi completed his sermon, and the cantor starting chanting the next part of the service. As a whole, the congregants in my synagogue are pretty respectful and participatory in services (so many competent Torah readers, it's amazing), but this yearly "exodus" does make me feel a little uncomfortable. Thankfully it doesn't seem to happen during other holidays and regular Shabbat (Sabbath) services, which end by 12:30 PM (starting at 9:30 AM).

judiz
10-09-2011, 02:40 PM
I know all temples do it different, at my temple the memorial service is in between the afternoon service and the concluding service. Last night the Rabbi apologized for "begging" but said "I've been here 40 years, I know you all are going to leave after the memorial service is over, but can some of you please stay for the concluding service?"

paskatefan
10-09-2011, 03:26 PM
^ Our Yizkor (memorial) service is at about 4:30 PM. We went home, I attended a closer synagogue's 4 PM Yizkor service, came home, napped until 7:15 PM (shofar blowing time at our home congregation), and then we broke the fast shortly after that.

Our previous synagogue merged with our current one back in 2004, and we were used to having the Yizkor service after the Torah service. Back then the mass "exodus" took place after Yizkor.

AliasJohnDoe
10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
When I go the cinema on my own I like to sit as far away from others as possible. Does that make me weird?

It might. I'm weird that way. :lol:

I usually go to the cinema alone on a Monday or Tuesday for the early afternoon show, when there are only about 15-20 people in the theatre. I usually have a 10 seat radius of empty seats around me....which I like. And I never go to "Premieres", it's toooo crowded for me. I usually wait for a week or 2 after a films release to go see it.

PDilemma
10-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Actually my pet peeve are people who have a cold and won't blow their nose. They keep sucking the snot back in instead of blowing it out. .

This is what teenagers do. I used to hand them tissues when I was a teacher. Most of them would look at me blankly and say "what?" when I did. :rolleyes:

modern_muslimah
10-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I always sit my myself when I go to the movie theater. I'm one of those people who is really particular about "my space". I don't even like sitting next to people on the bus if I can help it.

As for coming to a place of worship and talking, that is also a pet peeve of mine. It use to drive me up a wall when I would try to listen to the sermon and women would just talk and talk and talk. Sometimes I wanted to hold up a sign that said "STFU!" Fortunately, this isn't an issue where I currently worship but I think part of it is due to the design of the mosque. You couldn't really talk during the sermon without literally disturbing everyone.

shan
10-10-2011, 12:55 AM
I remember going to the movies with a friend and having someone always come and sit right next to her. There could be tons of empty seats in the row or theater but they would always sit right next to her. She would get so aggravated and I would :lol: as I moved over. That must happened at least 5 times.

Louise
10-10-2011, 01:51 AM
My biggest pet peeve right now since I'm noticing it more and more, like every blog I read, is when someone says "She should of done.." "I could of done", etc. It's getting to the point where I copy and respond and take them to task. I'm turning into my 100 y/o third grade teacher, a real b*tch. It's just driving me mad.

I agree with the sitting in an empty theater and someone comes and sits either right next to you or right in front of you when there are like 500 other empty seats. Same thing when showering at the gym and I'm the only one in there and out of 20 available shower heads someone comes right next to me. Fortunately my gym opened up a new facility where the showers are single and you have a curtain.

Aussie Willy
10-10-2011, 02:39 AM
Actually the cinema thing leads me to the toilet thing. Where you have a whole lot of cubicles in the work toilets, but if you are the only one in there, certain people have to go into the cubicle right next to the one you are in when they have a whole lot of toilets to pick from. Myself and another woman chat about it quite often how much it bugs us and makes us feel uncomfortable.

Cupid
10-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Actually the cinema thing leads me to the toilet thing. Where you have a whole lot of cubicles in the work toilets, but if you are the only one in there, certain people have to go into the cubicle right next to the one you are in when they have a whole lot of toilets to pick from.

They get what they deserve then. :lol:

PDilemma
10-10-2011, 08:41 PM
My biggest pet peeve right now since I'm noticing it more and more, like every blog I read, is when someone says "She should of done.." "I could of done", etc. It's getting to the point where I copy and respond and take them to task. I'm turning into my 100 y/o third grade teacher, a real b*tch. It's just driving me mad.

"Of" is not a verb.

I once had this written on the whiteboard in my English classroom for an entire semester, right above the word "beginning" which 75% of my students consistently spelled as "begging".

Louise
10-10-2011, 10:51 PM
"Of" is not a verb.

I once had this written on the whiteboard in my English classroom for an entire semester, right above the word "beginning" which 75% of my students consistently spelled as "begging".

I realize that, but it seems most people do not anymore. I can understand typos, and sometimes I think 'they're' and write 'their', I know mistakes happen. (I just edited 'right' correctly to 'write' LOL). But it seems that people do not realize they are so wrong.

Another pet peeve. I went to Websters online to get the definition of incongruent, to see if it was the best word for what I was trying to convey. Definition "not congruent", that's it. Oh gee thanks. So I look up 'congruent' and the only definition it says is 'congruous'. Seriously. So I finally looked up congruous to get an acceptable definition, to which point I realized the word 'incongruent' was not necessarily the best word. So that's my gripe of the day. It reminded me of vocabulary back in middle school and believe me we'd get NO credit for defining incongruent as 'not congruent'. Why does Webster's think they should get any credit?

PDilemma
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I realize that, but it seems most people do not anymore. I can understand typos, and sometimes I think 'they're' and write 'their', I know mistakes happen. (I just edited 'right' correctly to 'write' LOL). But it seems that people do not realize they are so wrong.

Uh....I believe the point of my post was not that you didn't know that, but that I spent a portion of my life trying to teach that fact to other people who did not. :rolleyes:

numbers123
10-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Actually the cinema thing leads me to the toilet thing. Where you have a whole lot of cubicles in the work toilets, but if you are the only one in there, certain people have to go into the cubicle right next to the one you are in when they have a whole lot of toilets to pick from. Myself and another woman chat about it quite often how much it bugs us and makes us feel uncomfortable.

Uh, I don't get this one. Am I supposed to looked under the stall doors to see if someone is in them so I avoid using the one right next to you?

Whether or not we admit it, we may unconsciously choose the same number toilet each time. For example, you may always choose to use the Stall #3 from the door even if there is a stall empty in stall #1 or #2.

Vagabond
10-10-2011, 11:26 PM
It reminded me of vocabulary back in middle school and believe me we'd get NO credit for defining incongruent as 'not congruent'. Why does Webster's think they should get any credit?

Because they tried really, really hard, and how are they going to get into college if they don't get credit? :fragile: