PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 04:31 PM
As the old thread has over 1000 posts - carry on. :)

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
What I found surprising - lots of people and articles seemed to indicate before that Wieber was the clear frontrunner for the AA and that Komova willl probably be second due to her old injury and hence not doing the Amanar.
Now she didn't do an Amanar and is still in the front right now. Where her scores better than expected or did Wieber get lower scores than expected?

HeatherC
10-08-2011, 04:46 PM
What I found surprising - lots of people and articles seemed to indicate before that Wieber was the clear frontrunner for the AA and that Komova willl probably be second due to her old injury and hence not doing the Amanar.
Now she didn't do an Amanar and is still in the front right now. Where her scores better than expected or did Wieber get lower scores than expected?

I just watched an interview with Jordyn's coach (who is an awesome guy with a very good head on his shoulders) and he said she gave away some points on FX and for something on UB so she can improve some things but I think Komova really came in first with her UB routine which was way higher SV than Jordyn's routine. If she does and hits the Amanar along with her other events, Komova will probably win the AA, but if they both hit all routines and she does Yur double full, it might be closer. I think the biggest thing about the AA predictions was that Jordyn was totally healthy and Komova didn't seem to be which is where I think some folks were getting their predictions. Both girls are worthy champions in my opinion and I think the AA final will be great. :)

bek
10-08-2011, 04:48 PM

I actuailly posted that I thought Komova could do it based on bars. Although I expected Komova's DTY to score higher in relation to Wieber's amanar (althoguh thought the Amanar would score higher).

I think part of it was Komova for awhile wasn't even competiting full difficulty on floor and also looked inconsistent in training. I still wonder if that Amanar will be ready, and I also think that it will be very tight for her without the Amanar.

This being said when you think about it Komova sent out if you think about it a psychological message with that one. Wieber's coach commented on twitter about how Wieber could score 8 tenths more based on little mistakes (when someone pointed out Komova's potential 7 tenths upgrade). (Komova had her errors on floor and a small wobble on beam)

but I think Komova really came in first with her UB routine which was way higher SV than Jordyn's routine.

Vika's bar routine isn't that much higher in start value than Jordyn's. Its maybe only 3tenths/4 tenths higher. The main difference is Komova's execution on bars is much better. Jordyn's bars are kind of labored. Jordyn can upgrade her dismount to the double/double tucked but that dismount looks a bit dodgy may cost her more than its worth.

Choupette
10-08-2011, 04:50 PM
You can now make your predictions for the women's competition:

http://www.sodalitas.net/predictions

Good luck! :)

Edit: I didn't include any alternate, because if an athlete from, say, USA, withdraws, chances are that athlete will be replaced by another one from his country, and it would have made entering all the possible entries impossible. So should an alternate get into a final, for the prediction contest, we will just forget the result of this particular athlete, as if he or she hadn't competed.

bek
10-08-2011, 04:54 PM
For Komova though long term its a good sign that she can beat/come close to Wieber without an Amanar. Because Komova didn't get to do any real upgrades for this year. She was pretty much fighting to get back to her YOG level. As a Junior she competed a Patterson, and she's reportedly training a double layout. I'd imagine her bars are upgradeable too. So next year if the Amanar isn't fully consistent she can add in some of those things, with more training time to give herself the edge over Wieber. I don't know if Komova will win this year though I worry about that Amanar. This being said the reigning world AA rarely wins the Olympic AA.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-08-2011, 05:03 PM
I love Komova's gymnastics so I'm not complaining. That said, I seriously grew to respect Jordyn Wieber and am impressed with her (and the rest of the American women).

bek
10-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I love Komova's gymnastics so I'm not complaining. That said, I seriously grew to respect Jordyn Wieber and am impressed with her (and the rest of the American women).

I don't mind Wieber, I like her better than Bross. But Komova is the direction I want the sport to go in.

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 05:14 PM
The direction I want the sport to go in is less difficulty upgrades. :(

I am stuck in the old system and thought it was so much more exciting to have like 10 gymnasts fighting for gold in the 10.0 system. Now it is pretty much decided beforehand with a few surprises here and there that seem to result mostly out of injuries. :(

I wish the code would change back to 10.0 or somehow stop this madness.

bek
10-08-2011, 05:21 PM
The direction I want the sport to go in is less difficulty upgrades. :(

I am stuck in the old system and thought it was so much more exciting to have like 10 gymnasts fighting for gold in the 10.0 system. Now it is pretty much decided beforehand with a few surprises here and there that seem to result mostly out of injuries. :(

I wish the code would change back to 10.0 or somehow stop this madness.

Well obviously that but Komova would hardly be hurt by that development. She's a gorgeous gymnast. The way she floats on beam is just incredible. The system doesn't reward her enough IMO.

Hedwig
10-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I wonder - is there a discussion at all how to overhaul the code or the system altogether to stop this plethora of injuries (and make the sport more exciting again)?

VIETgrlTerifa
10-08-2011, 05:29 PM
One thing I want FIG to do is to scale UB scoring back, so that it's closer to the other apparatuses. It's really not good that a gymnast could be excellent on UB and good on the other 3 apparatuses can beat a gymnast who is excellent on the other 3 apparatuses but good on bars. Not saying anything specific here, but speaking in generalities.

I think most countries made proposals for 2013 that would scale UB back (like a two root rule).

bek
10-08-2011, 05:48 PM
One thing I want FIG to do is to scale UB scoring back, so that it's closer to the other apparatuses. It's really not good that a gymnast could be excellent on UB and good on the other 3 apparatuses can beat a gymnast who is excellent on the other 3 apparatuses but good on bars. Not saying anything specific here, but speaking in generalities.

I think most countries made proposals for 2013 that would scale UB back (like a two root rule).

Vault though also needs to be scaled back. The Amanar is worth to much. This being said I thought the bars scoring was screwy. It seems Komova aside the judges were going hard on the higher D score bar routines. And that's fine. but to reward someone like Raisman vs someone like Huang isn't fair. If your going to be hard, be hard on all.

Dionysus
10-08-2011, 05:52 PM

Who are you driving at? nonsense :eek:
Komova doesn't have weak apparatuses and holds the lead fairly.
She won 2 apparatuses as opposed to Wieber who won none

VIETgrlTerifa
10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Another change I want, though not as serious, is for the freakin' shiny leo trend to end. I'm sick of shiny leos.

Also, can the US seriously have a choreography supervisor? I vote for Miss Val from UCLA. Their routines are outstanding.