PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 [67]

Rob
10-14-2011, 06:59 PM
ITA with Loves Shizuka.

vesperholly
10-14-2011, 07:32 PM
^Ugh, don't even say it! In fact, everything about Sydney - apart from the lovely Liu Xuan winning beam - is pretty much erased from my memory.

Oh, I quite liked all the Russians in Sydney. Zamo's two golds, Produnova like a boss, and my favorite icy sourpuss of that quad, Lobaz! Lisa Skinner's AA performance was good, especially floor. Though ... don't get me started about Moya not medaling on floor.

I agree. Komove may be pretty and lyrical, but she looks 12 and there was just no personality.

- Vika looks a bit fragile and under-powered in comparison to what she was. To be frank, I think she's burnt out, and I'm guessing it's because she's been so frantically attempting to recover from her injury; I wonder if this was all too much, too soon?

Agreed. I finally watched the rest of the competition, and the word that stuck out in my mind was "weak". Very pretty gymnastics, but no energy, spirit, attack, and she almost looked ill near the end. I'm not bothered by her genuine reaction to losing the gold, though I wish she had put on a better face for the medal ceremony, instead of looking like someone ran over her puppy.

It's a credit to Komova that she did only a DTY to Wieber's Amanar and had all those breaks on beam, and was still so close to winning. Cleaner beam routine would've won it. Still seemed a little premature to anoint her the next great Russian gymnast.

I hope Mustafina comes back next year and wipes the floor with all of them. Also, I really, really liked Porgras. I hope she can up her floor and/or vault difficulty to be in medal contention next year.

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 07:40 PM
See, what I don't understand is this. Mustafina has pretty atrocious form on her twisting elements. This means her floor and vault are basically hideous when it comes to the gymnastics elements. She is great on bars and her beam is cleaner because of the skills she uses. I see all these people talking about Komova being the only watchable gymnast and thank god for Mustafina's return because she is a better competitor and can win. But why are the people who defend Komova until the death also wanting Mustafina to win? Mustafina is nothing like Komova except that she puts on a mega bitchface during competition and is an amazing competitor. I wish people would just admit that it is cool to be Russian because it seems thats what it all comes down to. I don't see the "artistry" that everyone else sees. I mean, I can see that Mustafina is more artistic than Wieber but artistry only comes into play on floor and beam. I haven't seen an artistic beam in my life so maybe I am blind but why should a gymnast win everything because they are better at being "artistic" on floor? It seems so trivial.

ETA: One more thing, just to hit my point home. (lol) If Mustafina was born in the U.S. but was otherwise exactly the same, people would consider her a spoiled, snotty, pouty American brat...with horrible form! However, she is Russian so she is a bad ass bitch with artistic integrity!

ilovesalchows
10-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I'm not a big lover of Komova, I just like Mustafina the same way I like Wieber. I like seeing someone attack. I get the same thrill when I see Bross or Tweddle on UB. It is fun to see see people throw their heart into something, and except for bars I don't think Komova exudes confidence. I guess it is just a taste preference, some people like quiet perfection and others like thrills.

Tesla
10-14-2011, 08:22 PM
See, what I don't understand is this. Mustafina has pretty atrocious form on her twisting elements. This means her floor and vault are basically hideous when it comes to the gymnastics elements. She is great on bars and her beam is cleaner because of the skills she uses. I see all these people talking about Komova being the only watchable gymnast and thank god for Mustafina's return because she is a better competitor and can win. But why are the people who defend Komova until the death also wanting Mustafina to win? Mustafina is nothing like Komova except that she puts on a mega bitchface during competition and is an amazing competitor. I wish people would just admit that it is cool to be Russian because it seems thats what it all comes down to. I don't see the "artistry" that everyone else sees. I mean, I can see that Mustafina is more artistic than Wieber but artistry only comes into play on floor and beam. I haven't seen an artistic beam in my life so maybe I am blind but why should a gymnast win everything because they are better at being "artistic" on floor? It seems so trivial.

ETA: One more thing, just to hit my point home. (lol) If Mustafina was born in the U.S. but was otherwise exactly the same, people would consider her a spoiled, snotty, pouty American brat...with horrible form! However, she is Russian so she is a bad ass bitch with artistic integrity!

Yeah, I got nothing. I agree with all of this, and very well said! :)

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
I guess it is just a taste preference, some people like quiet perfection and others like thrills.

Some of us like both. I love both Mustafina and Komova (for different reasons obviously).

I've always loved Russian/ex-soviet gymnasts though. Semenova (pre-2009), Pavlova, Prod, Zamo, Lobaz, Bogi, Chuso...

Loves_Shizuka
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
^Yup. Me too. Bogi is my all-time fave. And what about Lyssenko?! Perfection!

One thing I've just remembered about Sydney, which I DID love: Yang Yun. :swoon: What a shame she was basically only around for one competition.

Like I said... this is more than a gymnastic thing...

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Like I said... this is more than a gymnastic thing...

Which is more than understandable. We all have our preferences. I just don't get why so many gymnastics fans wont admit that it is about MORE than just the gymnastics. They look so silly trying to defend their favorite when their favorite had an off day. Just admit you wish they won because you think they would win in a fight? Or you like their bangs. Or their leo was prettier? Etc. etc. :lol:

Mayra
10-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Isn't that like saying if Weiber, Bross and Sloan were from Romania we'd all be talking about how horrible their gymnastics is and how they lack decent choreography, dance ability and personality and OMG the direction this sport is going. :yikes: However, they're American and so we cheer for their competitive drive and spirit, admit they issues, but who cares they are winning for the US of A! :P

ilovesalchows
10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
Well one direction I am glad to see the sport going in is more of a tolerance for all body types. The good thing about the current code is that we are seeing older, bigger gymnasts find their place. I can't look at the gymnasts from the 1992-96 era without thinking about their poor little starved bodies.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
^Yup. Me too. Bogi is my all-time fave. And what about Lyssenko?! Perfection!

She's my all time fave too.

Lysenko was stunning. I've been watching vids of Ilienko and she was such a pretty dancer on floor.

Fridge_Break
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
Well one direction I am glad to see the sport going in is more of a tolerance for all body types. The good thing about the current code is that we are seeing older, bigger gymnasts find their place. I can't look at the gymnasts from the 1992-96 era without thinking about their poor little starved bodies.

That, and back in the 1996-ish era, you'd very, very rarely see a gymnast competing past their teens. I remember when Miller and Dawes announced their comebacks at 23 and they were basically considered ancient. Since then we've seen a great number of gymnasts competing longer... Sacramone, Memmel are in their 20s now, Hatch and Bhardwaj were both 26 in Athens, Cheng Fei, Ponor, Tweddle... and we obviously can't forget Chuso :respec: It's nice to see the sport not being dominated by pixies in the need of a few sandwiches!