PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67

Beefcake
10-14-2011, 02:52 PM
:lol: I absolutely love how, here in the FSU gymnastics threads, speculation is so often accepted as FACT(!) ... i.e. it seems accepted as fact that Mustafina would have killed/smashed/obliterated/humbled Wieber (/everyone) if she were here, and will do so anyway next year. Komova would've easily won if [...]. And, even sillier, that [insert junior name(s)] will dominate everyone next year or the year after.

A sport isn't played on paper, but in the field of play.

Domshabfan
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
I dont think she will. Mustafina for instance would have killed her if she was at Worlds this year (granted Wieber could have performed better and can improve further). Komova healthy for a whole year, if she can be, could wind up being better. Some think Ross is going to be better than Wieber next year, or maybe Grishina. Still if she does I think she will have to be given that title.

I miss musty and i am eagerly waiting for reports of her resuming full training. I know from Rodieneko's interview from almost a month ago that Musty has got back all her skills on UB except her dismount, which of course she is not training yet. It will be a slow return for her, we might see her first on beam and Ub and then gradually we will see her on other apparatus.

Tesla
10-14-2011, 03:17 PM
May I say something? :)

Girl needs some serious personality, because she can't sell a program to save her life! She is what I would call a robot. A walking corpse. Would it kill her to fake a little joy at least? Even when she's performing good, she looks miserable out there. What's that all about? :slinkaway

Wieber is explosive, powerful, and exciting. Love her expression and passion on the FX, something Komova doesn't have.

The sport doesn't need to go in one direction only, it's big enough to welcome all styles.

I agree. Komove may be pretty and lyrical, but she looks 12 and there was just no personality. And frankly, I don't really care about how she looked a year ago. :shuffle: Things change in a year, especially from junior to senior, and, as Beefcake says below, gymnastics is a sport. No offense, this year's result isn't about last year, it's about this year and while she was good, I really didn't think she was great.

:lol: I absolutely love how, here in the FSU gymnastics threads, speculation is so often accepted as FACT(!) ... i.e. it seems accepted as fact that Mustafina would have killed/smashed/obliterated/humbled Wieber (/everyone) if she were here, and will do so anyway next year. Komova would've easily won if [...]. And, even sillier, that [insert junior name(s)] will dominate everyone next year or the year after.

A sport isn't played on paper, but in the field of play.

I know. I think it's really funny how a lot of people think the US women will break by the Olympics but the Russian women will be solid and unbeatable. The Olympics are nearly year away. Anything can happen to either team. Komova can get injured again, Mustafina could have a setback after her injury or never regain her pre-injury form, Grishina could get injured, etc. Also, you don't know who could become a headcase in the transfer from junior to senior. There are too many factors that makes everything uncertain.

Gil-Galad
10-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I am really happy that Boy came back from till now mostly mediocre efforts. Second place again! :sheep:

And hooray for Uchimura, he is just amazing.

Loves_Shizuka
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm off out soon, for daytime drinking ( :P :D) but I 'll just shout out good luck to Kohei Uchimura and Philipp Boy. Ideally for me, BOTH will medal later today. They've both been falling all over the place at these champs so far, so I hope they can pull it together today. Good luck boys!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :cheer2: :D SO happy!

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-14-2011, 04:06 PM
:( Leyva.

Why can't anyone I like do well?

At this rate, even Maroney will screw up her vaulting.

Scintillation
10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Awww I'm disappointed Orozco didn't medal :( but still, he finished 5th. For some reason the video links to his routines don't work so I'll just have to wait until later to watch. And (((Danell)))) no one wants to finish their competition with a clipped chin. Ouch. I'm sure his dad will be there to support him, he seems like the nicest (and the most excitable :lol:) man. When they interviewed him on Universal Sports at Nats he said he's just happy no matter what Danell does because he knows he's trying his hardest.
But congrats to Uchimura :cheer2: for a record 3rd straight title and he deserves it--he is gorgeous to watch on every single event. I'm also happy that Phillip Boy got a little redemption for Germany and finished 2nd--it sounds like they've been having a rough competition so far.
And regarding the women's AA next year--I do agree it will be incredibly hard for Jordyn to win the gold next year with so many competitors nipping at her heels. I think Viktoria will be back to looking as dominant as she did at the YOG, plus Mustafina will be back in the game, and not to mention Grishina coming up the ranks. Kyla Ross will likely be on the team barring any kind of injury, and I'm sure (or I'm hoping) the Chinese will clean up their consistency issues by next year. I'm hoping it's one hell of a competition to watch.
And while Jordyn is not my favorite, I still appreciate her power (her body is like a giant piece of steel it is NUTS) and her dedication to the sport. Actually, all of these athletes incredible dedication makes it hard for me to hate on any of them because I know they are working 200x harder at this than I have ever worked at anything in my life. I can't stand watching Jana Bieger but still...she's trying really hard.

Garden Kitty
10-14-2011, 04:47 PM
I really hope Dany did not hurt himself too badly, in terms of health or pride.

Many congrats to all the athletes who had a successful meet!

Levya seems to be pretty active on twitter, you could send him a note and let him know you're still behind him.

Congrats to the medalists. I can't believe there wasn't a 3 time AA champion before - guess it shows how competitive and hard it is to stay at the top for awhile. Especially glad for Boy as well since he didn't get a team medal at the event.

bek
10-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I agree. Komove may be pretty and lyrical, but she looks 12 and there was just no personality. And frankly, I don't really care about how she looked a year ago. :shuffle: Things change in a year, especially from junior to senior, and, as Beefcake says below, gymnastics is a sport. No offense, this year's result isn't about last year, it's about this year and while she was good, I really didn't think she was great.

I know. I think it's really funny how a lot of people think the US women will break by the Olympics but the Russian women will be solid and unbeatable. The Olympics are nearly year away. Anything can happen to either team. Komova can get injured again, Mustafina could have a setback after her injury or never regain her pre-injury form, Grishina could get injured, etc. Also, you don't know who could become a headcase in the transfer from junior to senior. There are too many factors that makes everything uncertain.

I actually agree Komova wasn't great. But neither was Wieber. The thing though it is relevant to point out that Komova has just gotten back from a major injury. Even Karoyli and Geddert said they realize this. If Komova looks out of gas on floor its more than likely due to the lack of training stamina. She's not the most expressive performer by any means, but Komova's more than capable of performing with more energy. But if your fighting just to get your elements, this is difficult to do. A healthy Komova will perform much better on floor exercise next year if she's healthy.

I don't think the Russians themselves are 100% guaranteed to be healthy while the Americans are likely to break. ITA its ridiculous. And I think its a HUGE question mark that Mustafina will be back in AA shape, I'm frankly not convinced by that.

This being said the Russians are deep enough where to be frank they only really need Mustafina on bars. They are plenty deep on beam, and I think they have perhaps the most depth in the world on floor. Sidorova/Grishina are fabulous floor workers. I was frankly wondering how the Russians would be able to choose between a floor line up of Mustafina, Grishina, Sidorova, and (healthy Komova). (not to mention Afansyeva and Dementieva and Julia in the background too) Beam too Sidorova/Grishina, Anna, Komova, Mustafina.

Having their best vaulters healthy is key as is hopefully the bar workers because while the Russians have four of the most talented bar workers in the world, they don't have huge depth there. Although neither does USA.

I do think consistency is an issue though but I must say it may be harder for the US girls if every tenth matters in a Team Competition, which wasn't the case here. I think the US will have some work to do on bars.

The good thing about bars for teh Russians is that you can take a bar worker with an ankle injury. I suspect if this was the Olympics, Mustafina would have been here, swinging bars.

ilovesalchows
10-14-2011, 05:20 PM
It will make me so sad if Musty can't be a great AAer in London. I love her style the most. At the very least I want to see her swing bars in the final, I love her bars! She has this spark that Komova lacks. She is a great competitor kind of like Witt was.

Buzz
10-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Here is the entire Men's AA in one vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY4CldeOx7c&feature=feedu

oleada
10-14-2011, 06:00 PM
It will make me so sad if Musty can't be a great AAer in London. I love her style the most. At the very least I want to see her swing bars in the final, I love her bars! She has this spark that Komova lacks. She is a great competitor kind of like Witt was.

That's why I love Mustafina. Yes she has some issues (vault, her twists :yikes:), but that bitch is FIERCE. She owns everything she does and goes to win. She has major star quality and is an insane competitor. The way she owned Worlds last year was amazing - her performances last year would have left Weiber and Komova in the dust.

Fridge_Break
10-14-2011, 06:09 PM
And I think its a HUGE question mark that Mustafina will be back in AA shape, I'm frankly not convinced by that.

I think the same about Bross as well. From what I've read, most everyone here seems convinced that she's going to be back at 100% and in the form she was at a few years ago once the Olympics roll around. There's too many factors to determine that right now. Her recovery could be pushed too early, stamina issues (like what we have been seeing with Komova here) could be a problem, not to mention that at Visa's she really didn't look very good, certainly not what she did when she was 15/16 years old. Sure, she was just off of another injury, but it's been awhile since we've seen that *greatness* that many have come to expect from her.

Wishing all the injured gymnasts the best in their recoveries... there's simply too many to list (or even count).

Loves_Shizuka
10-14-2011, 06:13 PM
So I finally watched the womens AA.

Thoughts:

- I wanted Vika to win - but can see why she didn't. That FX was tired and sloppy, and the beam was a little tentative. Jordyn attacked her three good routines (though some people are saying her BB and FX are the best she's ever done?! Definitely not true) and went for it - Vika tried to "preserve it". Fortune favours the brave n all that.

- I personally thought Yao Jinnan had the best performance of the day - on FX. Overall, I think she actually matched Jordyn and Vika - but she also had the biggest mistake, and I believe a lower SV. :(

- Vika could/should/deserves a better FX. Jordyn's FX suits her very well and she performs it well.

- Alot of people on a few other boards are going on and on about Vika's "sportmanship" - having watched it now, I have no idea what they're talking about. I love to see athlete's display their real emotions; I'll take that any day over painted on smiles and general fakeness. We need more of this in gymnastics - not "well behaved" pretty little girls! In fact we need diva's! I also appreciated Jordyn's reaction, and Yao's smiling.

- I'm not going to join in the wuzrobbing, but I will say I am sick of AA's being won with big mistakes. I do say bring back the old days, when a fall or MAJOR break meant you weren't even getting near the podium. I think THIS would be the best direction for the sport.

- I MUCH prefer Komova to Wieber, but I appreciate both girls' talents and (incredibly) hard work. Gymnastics - like all sports - is best when made up of contrasting styles, bodytypes and approaches to the sport. I'd hate it if everyone was a clone of one another.

- I love Musty even more than Vika - and Vika could learn a thing or two from her.

- Vika looks a bit fragile and under-powered in comparison to what she was. To be frank, I think she's burnt out, and I'm guessing it's because she's been so frantically attempting to recover from her injury; I wonder if this was all too much, too soon?

- I do NOT enjoy John Geddert (Wieber's coach)

- The apparent silence when Komova's score came in was a bit awkward. I'm hearing the result didn't go down well in the arena - and it was bloody obvious!

- I have a real soft spot for HQS and Afan. Why do I love headcases?! ALso, WHAT was HQS wearing?!

- Holy hell Jordyn is built. She's one of thee biggest gymnasts I've ever seen. I know this is a sensitive issue, but I don't mean it in a bad way. She's just a powerful young lady.

- Porgras should NOT have dyed/highlighted her hair. It washes her out.

- To be honest, I think the fallout afterwards has been as much a cultural thing as it has a gymnastic thing.

- I think both sides of fans are baiting each other a bit, and I hope no-one is taking it too seriously. I think one or two posters on here are actually just trying to wind people up... ;)

- I want Mustafina back.

- Overall, it was quite disappointing; no really clean 4 for 4's, a disputed winner, a devastated runner-up and a bronze medallist with a fall. Also, the life seemed to get sucked out of the arena at the end. A shame. Still, I think this actually sets things up nicely for London :P I sense the Olympics could be quite heated.

oleada
10-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Can I just agree with everything? LOL.