PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67

HeatherC
10-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Congrats to Jordyn on her gold medal! Wow, what a competition. I watched some of the performances on Universal Sports and it really could have gone either way. Jordyn came back so strong after her mistake on bars and I'm so happy for her. I'm happy for Aly too. Fourth for her (especially with a bar mishap) is fantastic. I can't wait to watch everything this weekend! :cheer:

Good luck to Danell and John in the men's AA later this evening (or morning?!)!! :cheer2:

jbjanderson
10-14-2011, 02:59 AM
:lol::lol:
Personally I think Payson Keeler is totally going to win in London. ;) As long as it's not Lauren Tanner.

Love this : )

reese
10-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Diana Bulimar has withdrawn from FX EF, so Lauren Mitchell is in. If she hits she wins, I think.

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 03:30 AM
Ugh, Mitchell doesn't do it for me. I hope the panels are tough since this will be EF. If that is the case, Mitchell will have a hard time getting credit for all of her leaps and thus will not have the D score she needs. Raisman needs to leap out of her double arabian pike, that will add .1 for her score and she has been nailing that landing.

reese
10-14-2011, 03:40 AM
I kinda love Mitchell. She seems so genuine, she's such a hard-worker and she's well-spoken. She's not the prettiest gymnast with the best dance, but she's gritty and I admire that. She's also not a naturally gifted gymnast like Dasha Joura. I respect how far she's come in the sport and was totally thrilled for her when she won last year. I hope she repeats and I will die a little inside if Raisman wins.

gingercrush
10-14-2011, 04:43 AM
Mitchell's floor is good but I can't say I particularly like it. I do like Raisman's. Something about those tumbles are great.

Could be a good floor final especially if Tweddle is at the top of her game. I would personally love to see Raisman, Tweddle and Sui medal. Though I'd be just as happy if someone else medalled.

I really hope Uchimura is clean tonight. Won't be watching as my internet has decided to die. Its so bad I can't even watch things on youtube. Hoping things are fine for Event Finals.

Rob
10-14-2011, 05:02 AM
After reading this thread I was scared to watch the AA. For sure I thought Wiever had a disastrous outing with falls and face-plants :eek:

...then I watched the ACTUAL comp and was like WHUT? :wideeyes:

Congrats Jordyn! The better gymnast won today.

ITA, Komova won bars and Wieber won vault, beam, floor. No question. Just too many bobbles on BB from Komova and a half baked FX with lots of foot shuffling - she looked exhausted. I didn't think she did her best on UB either. She's not ready yet, that is all. I hope she takes it in London.

Wieber was much more expressive than usual on floor. She's pleasant enough to watch, not my fave at all, but I think she took it. If they'd given more pretty points to Komova, I wouldn't mind that either.

Musty must be thinking she could take them both.

bek
10-14-2011, 05:18 AM
I'm not all that knowledgeable about gymnastics, but I find Komova lacks a wow factor. I expected a lot more based on this thread. To a semi-educated observer, she's no Khorkina, Liukin, or even Mustafina. Even her UB was kind of :yawn: to me..

This wasn't really Komova at her best. She was kind of a shadow of herself in someways. She's capable of performing better on floor tumbling dance wise. She needs to work on her expression. Must say that choregraphy was terrible for floor. She's such a gorgeous gymnast, they should have had her do just plan Swan Lake. Komova could pull it off.
Komova doesn't have Mustafina's expression but Komova has much better lines/form than Mustafina. I love Aliya but her twists leave much to be desired. Komova here, wasn't fully cooked. But Komova at YOG, well that girl pretty much strives to do everything as perfect as possible. Her beam routine in prelims here, was a real testiment to what Komova at her best can look like.

Mustafina is a better competitor than Komova but I wonder if the issue here was Komova not being fully ready. The fact that Komova got back as quickly as she did, is a testimony to how good she is.

I will say this Komova is at least capability wise a better gymnast than Nastia Liukin. Although Komova will have to deliver it. Komova has Nastia's beautiful lines/grace. But she also has things Nastia lacks. I.e the ability to do big acrobatic skills. Viktoria is much better tumbler and vaulter than Liukin. And does things like Arabian on beam.

As for bars, I can't stand Komova's routine composition and hope its just a placement for next year. But Viktoria's form/execution/swing on bars is stunning. She floats on that apparatus.

Bryan
10-14-2011, 05:43 AM
All this build up of Komova v. Wieber for the AA title, and it was quite underwhelming, IMHO. I was actually most impressed with Yao Jinnan. She looked great and fought to stick most of her landings. It's really too bad about the fall off beam, 'cause it would have been great to see China finally have a World AA champion.

Theatregirl1122
10-14-2011, 06:47 AM
Personally I think Payson Keeler is totally going to win in London. ;) As long as it's not Lauren Tanner.

Psh, Lauren is a one trick pony. She can't do anything but skank it up on beam. I'm rooting for Kaylie Cruz.

Oh, and I'm a bit :rolleyes: at those here who are going to root against Jordyn for a result she didn't control. Real mature.

Yeah, maturity is not exactly a hallmark of these kinds of :wuzrobbed discussions. But I knew that's what I would see in this thread after I saw the competition.

When Komova finished, I thought she'd just have it. But I don't think it is SO WRONG that she didn't. I think they were about equal today and Jordyn came out a bit better in the scoring. Both of them will have to be mentally strong to make the podium in London. Jordyn will have to deal with the pressure of being the reigning world champ and Vika will have to use this as motivation. We'll see what they do and what Aliya can do when the time comes.

I like both Jordyn and Vika for different reasons, but I don't LOVE either of them. I agree with whoever said ages ago that Jordyn should keep this floor routine. It is excellent for her.

Crazy to look at the podium and realize that those girls are all the same age (probably). Not from a "someone is cheating" standpoint but it just illustrates how weird an age 16 can be. And this is just so much pressure to be under at 16.

At any rate :cheer: :cheer2: for Jordyn, the 2011 World Champion!

I didn't get to check on this thread after the men's event because i just finished watching it a few hours. But :cheer: :cheer2: :cheer: :cheer2: for the US boys getting the bronze! I'm thrilled that they were able to metal although I'm a bit devastated for them that they missed it by so very little. That being said, they gave it away on vault.

And y'all can have Levya. I can't like him at all because his father annoys me too much.

Loves_Shizuka
10-14-2011, 07:08 AM
All this build up of Komova v. Wieber for the AA title, and it was quite underwhelming, IMHO. I was actually most impressed with Yao Jinnan. She looked great and fought to stick most of her landings. It's really too bad about the fall off beam, 'cause it would have been great to see China finally have a World AA champion.

With all the hysteria of Jordyn vs Vika, I'm actually most sad about Yao - no fall and she was WC - and maybe then we wouldn't have all this :drama: either lol. Sigh. I said earlier in the thread though, she's Chinese - she'll mess it up! Ha! I wish I wasn't right :( Congrats to her anyhow, still a great debut!

bek
10-14-2011, 07:13 AM
With all the hysteria of Jordyn vs Vika, I'm actually most sad about Yao - no fall and she was WC and maybe then we wouldn't have all this :drama:either lol. Sigh. I said earlier in the thread though, she's Chinese - she'll mess it up. I wish I wasn't right:( Congrats to her anyhow, still a great debut!

I actually wouldn't have minded Yao winning that would have been pretty cool. Its really not that Komova lost that I have an issue with. I could have handled Komova losing to a clean Wieber. Its Komova losing this way, in a close call that has me upset.

Because at the end of the day for me its the fact that the sport of gymnastics is going down hill and I miss the beauty of this sport. Komova is the direction this sport needs to go in not Wieber/Bross/Raisman as nice of girls as they may be. It sickens me that beautiful gymnasts (which are rare now in this sport) aren't rewarded enough or even given the benefit of the doubt in the close call.

In the end objectively I knew floor would be a difference maker because of Komova's shakiness. But I'm still mad at the .033 thing.

Loves_Shizuka
10-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Well I still haven't watched it, so I can't comment; I do agree about the direction of the sport though, and where I'd like it go. Can't see it happening anytime soon though.

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 07:55 AM
I just don't see what is wrong with Wieber's gymnastics. She doesn't have the lines of Komova but she never will. It simply isn't the way she was built. I could never fault a gymnast for not being born with a certain body type. She controls what she can and has good clean form and difficulty that matches anyone. What more can you want? I know we all have our preference but some act like Wieber winning is a sign the sport is doomed. That simply isn't true and it wouldn't be right if only certain body types were allowed to win.

bek
10-14-2011, 08:08 AM
I just don't see what is wrong with Wieber's gymnastics. She doesn't have the lines of Komova but she never will. It simply isn't the way she was built. I could never fault a gymnast for not being born with a certain body type. She controls what she can and has good clean form and difficulty that matches anyone. What more can you want? I know we all have our preference but some act like Wieber winning is a sign the sport is doomed. That simply isn't true and it wouldn't be right if only certain body types were allowed to win.

I'm tired of this argument. Because your argument would say lets just hand this sport to the more "powerful girls" There's a reason the Chinese have trouble with vault. They are physically smaller so for the most part just have less power. Except for some exceptions Cheng Fei, it is pretty much the case.

Beautiful lines don't just come by chance. It actually takes work. The Russian and the Ukranian program has always had their gymnasts spend hours a week working on that ballet barre, working on perfecting their lines etc. They didn't just "get lucky" any more than Girls with more natural power got lucky learning that Amanar.

And guess what ballet training also helps create leaner muscles. Komova/Mustafina, have obviously had significant more dance training than Wieber. Wieber has a lot of flex feet, her carriage could be better. There are a lot of things that could be much improved, if she had better dance training, and yes ballet at a young age. And she might even have a more lean, less bulky look.

The fact is that a lot of American gymns don't even have their gymnast bother taking dance training etc. Shawn was very vocal about how Dancing with the Stars was her first dance class.

Not every gymnast who has known as being beautiful had a Nastia like body. I don't remember Lilia being super think, lean like Khorkina/Liukin/Komova.

And seriously physical gifts are part of it. Your 5-8 find another sport. It a matter of working with what you have.

It would even things out more if the sport rewarded artistry and rewarded power, because as I mentioned power tends to come from body type too for the most part. But then made it so the person who combined both the best won.

This sport also would be a lot safer if things like beauty, execution, artistry were judged more. Rather than encouraging chucking of Amanars.

And if we reward both artistry and power acrobatic tricks. If you get a gymnast who can combine both. Great beauty/and the acrobatic tricks, shouldn't that gymnast be placed high above a gymnast who just has the acrobatic tricks? Shouldn't that be the ideal in this sport. Sure, there's a level of physical talent/gifts that come with Uchimura being Uchimura and not Jonathon Horton, but there's also hard worker.

Same goes for Komova, shes' worked hard on developing the beauty in her gymnastics. I mean we hear Porgras because she doesn't have great power just shouldn't be a World AA champion. But then you get Komova who has Porgras's look and power and yet we are told that all Komova should be judged on is her power that she shouldn't get any credit for also having grace, beauty and lines. Why is this sport called artistic gymnastics pray tell?