PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 [62] 63 64 65 66 67

mrinalini
10-13-2011, 09:11 PM
The defending champion should at least get a wild card IMHO.

So totally agree with this. For example, Lauren Mitchell had the highest score on floor in the AA final today (the only one to break 15) and won't be in the EF.

And I've yet to come across a gymnast who really watered down their routines in quals - maybe they'll cede one or two tenths but I think most go for full difficulty.

As for Komova, I don't think she's the second coming at all, at least not yet. She lacks the maturity (naturally) and charisma of someone like Khorkina, but I just think that, artistically speaking, she's miles and miles ahead of someone like Wieber. Just take a look at their respective beam routines, for goodness' sake! One is nothing but one big skill after another and the other is so floaty and limber and so much more aesthetically pleasing to watch.

danafan
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
I will admit up front that I much prefer the style of gymnastics that Komova presents. To me when she's on (which I admit she was not today) she is far superior in every way to Wieber (vault D score aside) in terms of amplitude artistry, bodyline, and most significantly flexibility. Wieber's lack of flexibility for a gymnast of her level is really apalling to me. Compare their back handsprings on beam, where Wieber doesn't arch at all, not to mention her split positions.

On this particular day, neither of them were at their best and prior to these championships I expected Wieber to win the allaround largely due to her D score advantage on vault, and the fact that Komova was coming off injury.

Prelims gave me hope that Komova could pull it off where she was ahead despite losing 0.7 on vault D score. If Wieber and Komova and both had a good day and Wieber had won I wouldn't be bothered. But both were slightly off and Wieber was gifted on beam D score, and IMO E score. It's very very rare to score above 9.0 on E score on any event, save vault where top gymnasts are more likely to break 9.0. Wieber's beam was not even her best effort - in addition to her usual flexibility issues she was shaky in other areas like her leg up turn and her switch side leap (while this skill has improved, it's still not very well done). The beam judging in general was quite lenient at this competition compared to the other events. I also thought her floor was overscored considering how messy the third tumbling line was (the front layout was rather low, had an obvious form break and a large out of control step), not to mention the lack of split on all her leap elements.

I have been watching gymnastics for over 25 years and I have never been this upset with a result at this level.

It's just sad that no one "hits" anymore. Every single world championships since the "new" code came into affect has had at least one all-around medallist with a fall (the winner Vanessa Ferrari fell off beam in 2006 and still won; in 2007 she was co bronze medallist after falling off bars and she shared the medal with Jade Barbosa who fell on floor; in 2009 and 2010 Rebecca Bross medalled by finishing 2nd and 3rd with falls on floor and off beam respectively). Back in 1989 my favourite gymnast Daniela "Dana" Silivas dropped all the way to 13th I think it was when she fell off the beam. Falls were only 0.5 then and a fall would almost always guarantee at least 10 drops in placement!

Sorry I'm just ranting but it frustrates me to see the path my beloved sport has gone down in recent years....

vesperholly
10-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Watching that awesome YT link (thanks!!) and my only thoughts are: Komova would've won by a country mile with the Amanar, is she training it? and whose music was on floor when Komova vaulted? I've heard it before and love it. Sounds a little Cirque but more poppy. Nevermind, it's "Flamenco" by Didula.

danafan
10-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Watching that awesome YT link (thanks!!) and my only thoughts are: Komova would've won by a country mile with the Amanar, is she training it? and whose music was on floor when Komova vaulted? I've heard it before and love it. Sounds a little Cirque but more poppy.

Yes, she trained some during podium training and I think we are all thankful for her safety that she did not attempt it in the competition - here is one of her attempts (this youtube user has some others): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73hEhPbHF4

chipso1
10-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Wieber totally impressed me here with her fight and gritty determination! :cheer:

I'm happy for Komova, too, even if she isn't happy for herself. She did more than a respectable job here. Just 2 months ago it was unknown if she'd even be here, and now she's 2-for-2 in World medal attempts. Not too shabby. I have a feeling she'll be much, much stronger in London.

Congrats to all three, though! :cheer2:

Oh, and I'm a bit :rolleyes: at those here who are going to root against Jordyn for a result she didn't control. Real mature.

canbelto
10-14-2011, 12:05 AM
I just watched both Wieber and Komova and thought that ... both need a lot of work? Wieber's mistakes were more noticeable but Komova had a lot of small mistakes too, and seemed so slow and sluggish. Neither look like AA champs at this point (I associate AA gymnasts with being very solid, clean, not perfect on every routine but having an overall polish and consistency from event to event).

vesperholly
10-14-2011, 12:10 AM
(I associate AA gymnasts with being very solid, clean, not perfect on every routine but having an overall polish and consistency from event to event).

Something that has rarely happens in AA history, unfortunately! :lol: I'd rather have a flawed Karpenko win an AA over a boring, consistent Gogean.

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 12:28 AM
I think the result is fair. It would have been just as fair if Komova won. Both were so close tonight that one result over the other is not more right than the other way around. Komova lost because of D score. She lost some on beam and floor because of little mistakes. I have felt scoring has been very consistent this Championships so I don't think they were strict on Komova or lenient on Wieber.

Garden Kitty
10-14-2011, 12:57 AM
The fan reaction for Komova is making me want to root for Wieber at London even though I prefer Komova. Talk about melodrama.

Personally I think Payson Keeler is totally going to win in London. ;) As long as it's not Lauren Tanner.

dots
10-14-2011, 01:38 AM
lol

What a buch of dramaqueens!! :rofl:

After reading this thread I was scared to watch the AA. For sure I thought Wiever had a disastrous outing with falls and face-plants :eek:

...then I watched the ACTUAL comp and was like WHUT? :wideeyes:

Congrats Jordyn! The better gymnast won today.

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 01:40 AM
dots, I had the same impression. I thought Wieber peeled off the bars and that Komova gave the performance of her life based on what I read all over the internet. :rolleyes:

dots
10-14-2011, 01:49 AM
dots, I had the same impression. I thought Wieber peeled off the bars and that Komova gave the performance of her life based on what I read all over the internet. :rolleyes:

Exactly!

to tell you the truth I thought Komova's FX was bit vanilla . :blah: I mean very balletic style, but could she more lifeless out there? :shuffle:

BigB08822
10-14-2011, 01:54 AM
If anyone was eligible for the artistry deduction in this competition it was Komova on FX. Absolutely lifeless and looked as if she could care less.

Tesla
10-14-2011, 02:15 AM
If anyone was eligible for the artistry deduction in this competition it was Komova on FX. Absolutely lifeless and looked as if she could care less.

I felt the same way. There was no energy, and it was rather bland.

Pierre
10-14-2011, 02:29 AM
I think the judging has been pretty good this year with a few exceptions. My opinion is that Komova should have won gold and the US men silver, but I'm no expert in gymnastics, so my opinion isn't worth much.