PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 67

Tesla
10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Music question: during Komova's BB routine, does anyone know the name of the music playing in the background (probably for a floor routine)? I really want to know. Thank you. :)

Fergus
10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
First, I must toss my congrats to Wieber for her World Championship title! :cheer2:

BUT, after watching the performances, I can see how it could have gone either to Wieber or Komova.

Wieber definitely had more dynamic, aggressive, and exciting performances (that BB routine was insane!).....but with a couple rather big errors.

Komova was lyrical grace personified, such soft elegant lines, her artistry is undeniable......but also had alot of minor bobbles that added up and, IMHO, less of a commanding presentation overall.

Sigh, my heart goes out to whoever the Silver medalist would have been, since both girls really gave it their all and the mathematical difference was so small.

oleada
10-13-2011, 05:42 PM
This is the biggest joke. Jordyn Wieber was ridiculously overscored on beam and floor and is the most undeserving world all-around champion ever.

I am so furious and this is not how I wanted my day to begin.

Viktoria Komova will always be the 2011 world AA champion to me.

I really respect your opinion when it comes to gymnastics, so its disappointing to read that you really disagree with the results, because it makes me think the judging wasn't fair. I am a Komova fan, so it is disappointing to read that it was so close. I haven't been able to watch yet. its still a good result given her serious injury but It sounds like she should have won.

Jordyn is not my favorite, but she's grown on me. Congrats to her. My dislike is reserved for the judgung system that doesn't reward form and artistry. And for Geddert, who really comes across as a twat.

Hedwig
10-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Here is Komova's mother.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tY_2-ANdgE

I prefer her floor to anything we have seen today. Beautiful tumbling and musicality.

Tesla
10-13-2011, 06:05 PM
First, I must toss my congrats to Wieber for her World Championship title! :cheer2:

BUT, after watching the performances, I can see how it could have gone either to Wieber or Komova.

Wieber definitely had more dynamic, aggressive, and exciting performances (that BB routine was insane!).....but with a couple rather big errors.

Komova was lyrical grace personified, such soft elegant lines, her artistry is undeniable......but also had alot of minor bobbles that added up and, IMHO, less of a commanding presentation overall.

Sigh, my heart goes out to whoever the Silver medalist would have been, since both girls really gave it their all and the mathematical difference was so small.

I agree. I just finished watching all the performances, and I can see why Wieber won. She did have that bad break on bars, but her beam was a lot better than Komova. She was insane on beam! On floor, I thought Wieber was better too, so dynamic and energizing. Except for the out of bounds, she also stuck better than Komova. Komova was very pretty and lyrical on floor, but those little bobbles really add up. I saw her fall out of the Memmel turn and a few of her landings weren't stuck as well as Wieber. It really could have gone either way and I don't think anyone was robbed (although I think Jordyn would've handled winning silver better than Vika :shuffle:).

danafan
10-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Wieber's beam score is my only issue. Her D score of 6.2 credited her full twist to flic connection, .2, which is a complete joke. That made the difference for the title.

poths
10-13-2011, 07:41 PM
It's always a shame to have a world champion who made a big error during the competition.

It's always a shame to have a world champion crowned by les than .1 when they were at least .3 over scored (in this case beam...and floor...her vault was even generous).

It's always a shame to have the better gymnast place second. . .

Such a shame about Raisman's fall because her vault and floor were spot on for her and whilst I didn't see her beam, she scored well there too.

Porgras needs to upgrade, whatever about Komova, Anna is my clear favourite.

Hannah Welan did really well... better vault, a few more tenths in the bars...top 8 in London could be a possibility.

Ferrari's face plant on vault was funny, I don't know why, but it was almost a "I'm back moment" ...then splat.

I hope London is a much better competition :/

Louis
10-13-2011, 08:10 PM
I'm not all that knowledgeable about gymnastics, but I find Komova lacks a wow factor. I expected a lot more based on this thread. To a semi-educated observer, she's no Khorkina, Liukin, or even Mustafina. Even her UB was kind of :yawn: to me.

Mind you, Wieber does nothing for me either. She's an A- athlete on all apparatus but doesn't really have an A+ on any one of them (to me at least) the way that the "greats" usually do.

The scoring in gymnastics, especially when it comes to connections and D scores, is nothing new.

I find that I enjoy the event finals a lot more than the team competitions or all-around. There's more explosive gymnastics, more risk/reward, and more variety. The moments that make me jump out of my seat tend to come in the EF.

poths
10-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I find that I enjoy the event finals a lot more than the team competitions or all-around. There's more explosive gymnastics, more risk/reward, and more variety. The moments that make me jump out of my seat tend to come in the EF.
What bugs me about EF's is that you're often missing the best gymnasts because their routines are so difficult there's a likelihood they'll make an error whilst rusty and nervous during qualifications.

See Tweddle and Kexin on Bars (2 world champions)

Ann Porgras on beam (world champion)

Lauren Mitchell on Floor (world champion) Ponor (Olympic champion)

All ladies redeemed themselves by TF's and/or the AA, but none will be in the Event finals which is shit. The defending champion should at least get a wild card IMHO.

Tesla
10-13-2011, 08:30 PM
What bugs me about EF's is that you're often missing the best gymnasts because their routines are so difficult there's a likelihood they'll make an error whilst rusty and nervous during qualifications.

I thought gymnasts didn't do their hardest routine in qualifications but saved them for event finals. Or is that an old school thing?

Beefcake
10-13-2011, 08:32 PM
I'm not all that knowledgeable about gymnastics, but I find Komova lacks a wow factor. I expected a lot more based on this thread. To a semi-educated observer, she's no Khorkina, Liukin, or even Mustafina. Even her UB was kind of :yawn: to me.
Having heard the trumpeting before watching Komova, earlier this year, I too expected far more. Maybe it's her pedigree that put the extra oomph on the build-up for Komova? She's terrific, no doubt, but so were a few dozen at this Worlds ... Komova isn't the savior swan in spandex that I thought I was going to see after reading the buildup from fellow FSUers.

If either of grace-personified teammates Afanasyeva or Dementyeva had done Komova's content in last night's AA, and had come up short, I'd probably be right there with the wuzrobbers ... even if I'd not yet seen the competition. :shuffle: But, I'm perplexed at the wuzrobbing [which I've only seen here] of Komova versus Wieber.

Loves_Shizuka
10-13-2011, 08:38 PM
^Komova is a better gymnast than the one we're seeing at these champs; so try not to judge too much based on today/TF alone. Personally, I don't think she was quite ready, both physically and mentally.

I haven't watched my recording yet, and I HATE the result and the apparent fallout afterwards, so all I'll say for now is congrats Jordyn, Vika and Yao.

Buzz
10-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Good luck to the guys tonight! Marion Dragulescu is out and Nathan Gafuik of Canada is in. Sorry about Dragulescu, he is one of my all time favourites, but I am happy for Nathan! :cheer:

judgejudy27
10-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I thought the womens AA result was horrible. Terrible judging. Almost is a complete turn off from the sport really.

Lara
10-13-2011, 09:09 PM
For those new to Komova, you needed to see her at the Youth Olympic Games. She was completely on top there.

I'd have preferred her over Weiber but oh well. Not the first arguable/close result (92 Olys anyone?) and won't be the last...