PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 [60] 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

bek
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Aliya may be mentally stronger than Viktoria, but when your form is pretty bad compared to some gymnasts (and compared to Viktoria, Aliya's form is atrocious) it's easier to chuck skills and hit which Aliya has been wont to do. If there's a battle between Aliya and Viktoria in London, I really hope that it's Viktoria who prevails because she has the form and technique that Aliya sorely lacks.

And all this talk about the endless upgrades that Komova can do; please, the girl is prone to injury with her current skills and is quite inconsistent - I don't think it's realistic to say that she can upgrade and still hit even if she's injury-free. IMO, Komova can challenge in London with her current routines if she hits 4/4. Maybe an Amanar or small upgrades elsewhere will help seal the deal, but the poor thing already looks so fragile and beat up that I'm not sure huge upgrades are a good idea.

What also worries me about Viktoria is that she doesn't seem like the type who would find today's loss motivating. I guess we'll have a better idea of what she's made of when we see how she performs in the EFs.

Viktoria can get by with her current passes if she just cleans them up. A year ago Vika was actually sticking these landing passes. But this girl only started full training in July, due to her ankle injury. The Russian coaches weren't even sure if she'd be ready to compete the All Around. And a month ago Vika was doing watered down tumbling.

And as for injury prone, this is Komova's first major injury. A year ago everyone felt Wieber was the injury prone one.

Komova also really isn't inconsistent. She won every AA competition she entered until this year. She's had her mistakes (sure but so has Wieber). A lot of Komova's inconsistency in training etc has more to do with being out for so long due to injury, vs inability to compete.

And as for it motivating her, Komova just gave an interview with IG where she criticized her own routines, so I think Komova can be motivated by this. If anything this was good for her.

Beefcake
10-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Lots of :drama: being made out of this result. Have yet to watch so can't comment but if true that the gymnasts themselves were pissed off then that really can't be good can it? Where did you get that information bek? Have any of them tweeted or fb'd anything?
What? :blah: Stop it with your call for actual proof/actual comments and data. bek said that "all of the rest of the gymnasts on the floor were furious about the results" and that the audience "gave the judges a smackdown".

That's all I need to know to form my opinion that Wieber is an undeserving champion not worthy of being in the company of diety that is Vika Komova. ;)

bek
10-13-2011, 03:46 PM
What? :blah: Stop it with your call for actual proof/actual comments and data. bek said that "all of the rest of the gymnasts on the floor were furious about the results" and that the audience "gave the judges a smackdown".

That's all I need to know to form my opinion that Wieber is an undeserving champion not worthy of being in the company of diety that is Vika Komova. ;)

I can't say all of the rest of the gymnasts but reports were the rest looked unhappy... Reports are Beth has already openly said Komova should have won.

RFOS
10-13-2011, 03:55 PM
Did the rest of the gymnasts really see all 4 routines from each of them? Weren't they kind of busy doing their own routines? :shuffle:

Beefcake
10-13-2011, 03:58 PM
I can't say all of the rest of the gymnasts but reports were the rest looked unhappy... Reports are Beth has already openly said Komova should have won.
That's a considerable back-down from your previous emphatic statements, but okay ... the key is "reportedly" and to not embellish what has already been embellished on other forums.

My take, re: the audience and some gymnasts possibly appearing baffled (or "unhappy", per bek): We here have all been :confused: stumped dozens of times when figure skating scores come up, and many here bitch and moan and wuzrob immediately and passionately. But, then, when the protocols come up, we see the downgrades and the other math, and think "ah, I see." (Caveat: Usually! Sometimes we will still wuzrob for years.)

Maybe some of those who [may have] had an immediate :eek: or :blah: reaction immediately after Komova's would've-been clinching FX scores came up will reassess once they've seen those numbers?

Tesla
10-13-2011, 03:59 PM

I know, right? What was I thinking that Komovoa should be happy with her silver. :drama:

Can you link to these reports?

Tesla
10-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Here is a link to the ladies AA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY4CldeOx7c&feature=feedu

Thank you! :cheer:

Maybe some of those who [may have] had an immediate :eek: or :blah: reaction immediately after Komova's would've-been clinching FX scores came up will reassess once they've seen those numbers?

Exactly. From the Universal Sports article, it looks like Komova just lost tenths here and that that cost her the gold.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-13-2011, 04:21 PM
The fan reaction for Komova is making me want to root for Wieber at London even though I prefer Komova. Talk about melodrama.

Tesla
10-13-2011, 04:24 PM
The fan reaction for Komova is making me want to root for Wieber at London even though I prefer Komova. Talk about melodrama.

You'd think Wieber beat up Komova's puppy, kitten, and grandma. :shuffle:

Domshabfan
10-13-2011, 04:25 PM

I was starting to like wieber, but that bit is truly dead after this result. Also, i hate her coach.

Tesla
10-13-2011, 04:36 PM
I was starting to like wieber, but that bit is truly dead after this result. Also, i hate her coach.

Yeah, because it's Weiber's fault, and her coach's, that the judges gave the scores they did. Makes sense. :rolleyes:

skatingfan5
10-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I was starting to like wieber, but that bit is truly dead after this result. Also, i hate her coach.:drama:

On another note, a big THANK YOU! to everyone who has posted links to videos of this competition -- it's likely I won't be able to see it on TV at all, so thanks again!

VIETgrlTerifa
10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
I understand if it was a huge blow-out and Wieber just ran away with the title while Komova executed her routines as well as she could have, but the scores were very close and both gymnasts made errors. I think the scores reflected the way the competition happened.

Scintillation
10-13-2011, 04:48 PM
I just watched both girls performances. I would've given it to Vika based on her elegance and form but she gave away tenths by missing that 3 element connection on beam (full turn-layout walkover-sheep jump) and missing the Memmel on floor (although her incomplete Memmel is better than anything Memmel ever produced). I don't blame the gymnasts for the result but I do blame this system, which awards greater difficulty with more errors than it does easier gymnastics done cleanly.
Anyways, congrats to Jordyn. She's not my favorite gymnast but she did fight back after that issue on bars. I'm not that fussed because the World AA champion rarely goes on to win the title, and I have a feeling Komova will be back in London with a vengeance.

Rob
10-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't blame the gymnasts for the result but I do blame this system, which awards greater difficulty with more errors than it does easier gymnastics done cleanly.

That is my dislike too - I do not like start value to trump execution.