PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

tchaikovsky_177
10-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Yao could have become China's first ever World AA champion had she not fallen. :( She showed great spunk in coming back and nailing floor, though, which is very unlike a Chinese gymnast. I'm afraid this may be the last we've seen of Huang.

I hope not. I don't think China has that many options anyway.

Domshabfan
10-13-2011, 02:02 PM
According to this article, Komova wasn't robbed: http://www.universalsports.com/news-blogs/blogs/blog=tumblemumble/postid=561230.html

I haven't seen the routines, so i'm not sure. Maybe there was one or two crucial elements Komova missed on floor to make her SV lower?

Like you expected Universal Sports to say Komova was robbed. I think Komova was Totally robbed.

dots
10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
YAY! Jordyn wins!!!!!!!!!! This is the best result ever!!! :D :kickass:

danafan
10-13-2011, 02:25 PM
This is the biggest joke. Jordyn Wieber was ridiculously overscored on beam and floor and is the most undeserving world all-around champion ever.

I am so furious and this is not how I wanted my day to begin.

Viktoria Komova will always be the 2011 world AA champion to me.

Domshabfan
10-13-2011, 02:28 PM
This is the biggest joke. Jordyn Wieber was ridiculously overscored on beam and floor and is the most undeserving world all-around champion ever.

I am so furious and this is not how I wanted my day to begin.

Viktoria Komova will always be the 2011 world AA champion to me.

thank you, my sentiments... I also am glad to hear this from a gymnastics judge.

Beefcake
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
:kickass: Congratulations to Miss Wieber, officially the world's best gymnast!

gracefulswan
10-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Well, I'm sure Viktoria will have her day in the future.... Besides, she could still win bars and beam for the EFs... Much like Nastia barely lost in 2005 but still came back to win gold on those events...

But, unlike Nastia, who had to wait 3 years for her Olympic AA gold, perhaps Viktoria will only have to wait 10 months or so? Hardly a long time to get your "revenge." I'm hoping she'll be 100% by then.

It will be interesting to see if Aliya will even be a factor in such a short time to prepare after such a major injury.

Looking forward to seeing those videos.

Tesla
10-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Like you expected Universal Sports to say Komova was robbed. I think Komova was Totally robbed.

Like I expected a Komova fan to think otherwise.

Since I didn't see the routines, and even if I did, I can honestly say I wouldn't know if Komova was robbed. From what I've read, a case could be made for either winning. What amazes me is that Komova just came back from a rather serious injury for a gymnast. Why the hell can't her fans be happy that she won the silver medal?! If, as everyone says, she wasn't 100% and looked beat up, I say kudos to her for kicking ass as she did in the competition. That said, I think the Olympic AA is Aliya's to lose (so long as she fully recovers from her injury). Again, from what I've read, I don't think Komova has Aliya's mental strength. I believe that had the injuries been reversed, and Aliya was her at the same strength level as Komova, Aliya would've kicked ass and taken numbers. Girl has nerves of steal. London is going to be very interesting and unpredictable. No one knows how any team is going to be. Yes yes, Russia has some out-of-this world gymnasts, but has Komova and Aliya have shown, anything can happen with injuries. My only hope is that everyone his healthy and may the best win.

bek
10-13-2011, 02:46 PM
Well, I'm sure Viktoria will have her day in the future.... Besides, she could still win bars and beam for the EFs... Much like Nastia barely lost in 2005 but still came back to win gold on those events...

But, unlike Nastia, who had to wait 3 years for her Olympic AA gold, perhaps Viktoria will only have to wait 10 months or so? Hardly a long time to get your "revenge." I'm hoping she'll be 100% by then.

It will be interesting to see if Aliya will even be a factor in such a short time to prepare after such a major injury.

Looking forward to seeing those videos.

I think Viktoria can get her revenge in 10 months time. Her tumbling should be a heck of a lot stronger in 10 months after more reps, and reports are Viktoria is working on upgrades like a double layout.

Before her injury she was capable of a connected Patterson beam, and so I wouldn't be surprised if that comes into her routines. And all of that isn't including the Amanar. A part of me thinks that the Russians will work on upgrading their bars too. I'm not so sure how much Jordyn can improve on bars with that swing issue.

Like I expected a Komova fan to think otherwise.

Since I didn't see the routines, and even if I did, I can honestly say I wouldn't know if Komova was robbed. From what I've read, a case could be made for either winning. What amazes me is that Komova just came back from a rather serious injury for a gymnast. Why the hell can't her fans be happy that she won the silver medal?! If, as everyone says, she wasn't 100% and looked beat up, I say kudos to her for kicking ass as she did in the competition. That said, I think the Olympic AA is Aliya's to lose (so long as she fully recovers from her injury). Again, from what I've read, I don't think Komova has Aliya's mental strength. I believe that had the injuries been reversed, and Aliya was her at the same strength level as Komova, Aliya would've kicked ass and taken numbers. Girl has nerves of steal. London is going to be very interesting and unpredictable. No one knows how any team is going to be. Yes yes, Russia has some out-of-this world gymnasts, but has Komova and Aliya have shown, anything can happen with injuries. My only hope is that everyone his healthy and may the best win.

I do think that Aliya is a better competitor than both Jordyn and Komova but I wonder if her difficulty will be back. This being said I think Komova competed fairly well for the night and it may be that floor routine was as good as she can do at this point. Komova looked extremely not good in training.

I suspect this experience could be a good thing for Komova too because it will teach her to fight for every tenth etc.

Buzz
10-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Here is a link to the ladies AA:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY4CldeOx7c&feature=feedu

caseyedwards
10-13-2011, 02:51 PM
the judges love wieber so much, there is no one she can't beat - world champion or youth olympic-what can they do? Komova could have done a harder vault-doesn't look like wieber is beatable though

bek
10-13-2011, 02:54 PM
the judges love wieber so much, there is no one she can't beat - world champion or youth olympic-what can they do? Komova could have done a harder vault-doesn't look like wieber is beatable though

Komova can do a harder vault and can clean up her tumbling. This being said the audience who had no dog in that fight gave the judges a smackdown. And reportedly all of the rest of the gymnasts on the floor were furious about the results. Don't think that won't be remembered by London time. Komova is considered by most gymnastics experts to be a throw back to what this sport should be about. And the girl wasn't at 100%. At her best she's way better at tumbling. Those passes shew as trouble landing last night, she was sticking at the YOG. Its just the girl is coming back from injury and doesn't have the numbers.

floskate
10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Lots of :drama: being made out of this result. Have yet to watch so can't comment but if true that the gymnasts themselves were pissed off then that really can't be good can it? Where did you get that information bek? Have any of them tweeted or fb'd anything?

Garden Kitty
10-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I haven't seen the competition but congrats to all the medalists (and Raismin for the imaginary pewter). That must be a heartbreaking way to lose the gold, but good for Komova to get a silver in the AA so soon after recovering from a big injury. And congrats to Jordyn for keeping her cool after some big mistakes and delivering solid performances.

mrinalini
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
I believe that had the injuries been reversed, and Aliya was her at the same strength level as Komova, Aliya would've kicked ass and taken numbers.

Aliya may be mentally stronger than Viktoria, but when your form is pretty bad compared to some gymnasts (and compared to Viktoria, Aliya's form is atrocious) it's easier to chuck skills and hit which Aliya has been wont to do. If there's a battle between Aliya and Viktoria in London, I really hope that it's Viktoria who prevails because she has the form and technique that Aliya sorely lacks.

And all this talk about the endless upgrades that Komova can do; please, the girl is prone to injury with her current skills and is quite inconsistent - I don't think it's realistic to say that she can upgrade and still hit even if she's injury-free. IMO, Komova can challenge in London with her current routines if she hits 4/4. Maybe an Amanar or small upgrades elsewhere will help seal the deal, but the poor thing already looks so fragile and beat up that I'm not sure huge upgrades are a good idea.

What also worries me about Viktoria is that she doesn't seem like the type who would find today's loss motivating. I guess we'll have a better idea of what she's made of when we see how she performs in the EFs.