PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
10-11-2011, 11:06 PM
OMG, you should watch the video from the user in the links Buzz posted. Watch Raisman's vault and then watch Maroney's. It is the exact same camera and the difference in height is INSANE.

gingercrush
10-12-2011, 03:20 AM
I feel confident the team will be (prelims) (finals):

Wieber (AA) (AA)
Ross (AA) (V/FX/BB)
Bross (AA) (FX, UB)
Maroney (V/FX) (V)
Liukin (UB/BB) (UB/BB)

I think that team would be good its just a pity Raisman who could well end up Floor champion here would have no role in the team. Makes an absolutely mockery of the stupid 5-3-3 rule. Can Raisman not upgrade her UB or is what she showed in team qualification as good as she can get? Raisman could also upgrade her beam routine. I think she'd be more useful there than Liukin.

Just a real pity that there isn't a way to get gymnasts like Maroney and Raisman that have one event they excel in and/or Liukin and Sacramone in Vault and Liukin in Uneven Bars or Hexin in Uneven bars. Why can't the larger teams have seven members with five going into finals with a 5-3-3. Its just silly.

BTW, I don't get any one who says Jordyn is a robot or leaves them cold. Just because she's American and knows how to hit her routines doesn't make her a cold robot.

When I say a gymnast leaves me cold it has nothing to do with them being robotic. In fact while I love Komova's style and Sui Lu. Both of them seem far more robotic to me than Weiber. Weiber expresses a lot of passion for a sport and while I'm not a fan of hers I still want to see her perform well.

I just know with me I get quite irrational over some gymnasts even being self-contradictory at times. Gymnastics is similar to figure skating in that way. Many people loved Michelle Kwan and while I can acknowledge she was a great skater I can't say I ever warmed to her.

Weiber in this instance is a good if not great gymnast but I'd prefer Komova, Mustafina, Sui Lu or even Raisman and Maroney over her.

---

I'm not sure I'll watch the mens tonight. I may watch some if that streaming link works today but gymnastics ends a bit late for my liking so we'll see. I really would love to see the Japanese win Team Gold.

HeatherC
10-12-2011, 03:24 AM
I didn't see it mentioned up thread but the Universal Sports website has all sorts of videos posted from the women's final and it's not just the US girls. :)

I am SO stinking proud of those US girls! :cheer: I was just hoping they would do their very best and then see what happens with the results but wow, they way exceeded my expectations. They didn't put a foot wrong and performed their routines with authority. They looked like they were having fun out there too and just enjoying the whole experience of Worlds. Winning the gold medal was a total bonus for them! I can't wait to watch the whole competition on a bigger screen ;) and hopefully see some of the other teams that aren't posted online anywhere right now. Go Team USA!!! :cheer:

Good luck to the US men later tonight! I'm hoping the women left some good vibes on the podium for them and that they do their very best too. I'd love to see them up on the podium again. Go US men!!! :cheer2:

chipso1
10-12-2011, 04:30 AM
I feel confident the team will be (prelims) (finals):

Wieber (AA) (AA)
Ross (AA) (V/FX/BB)
Bross (AA) (FX, UB)
Maroney (V/FX) (V)
Liukin (UB/BB) (UB/BB)

I think Douglas will be a huge factor as well...

If Raisman shows as much improvement next season as she has this season, she'll be hard to keep off the team. I've been really impressed with her this week. Her TQ bars set was actually quite decent!

I guess I'm a bit on the fence with Bross, still. Even if healthy, I don't think she would catch Wieber or Ross in the AA, and if Liukin comes back with a killer UB routine, then we really don't need her.

So I agree with your team, except swapping Bross with Raisman maybe. I dunno. It's too early to tell what Martha will be thinking!

judgejudy27
10-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Who would have thought a year ago Raisman could take Bross's spots on the team. I agree though if Liukin comes back with a killer bars set , and Ross is as good as expected, the team really doesnt need Bross though. Raisman is probably now better than Bross on floor, definitely is better on vault (not that they are likely to need either on vault), and by next year could be as good or better on beam. So if they dont need Bross on bars....If Raisman on floor proves to be a bigger upgrade than Bross is on any of Wieber, Ross, or Douglas on bars (not even mentioning Nastia who if she makes the team will have come done so by coming back as clearly the best U.S bars worker), then the only purpose for having Bross on the team would be to have a surplus of strong bars workers in case of injury, and having one that is also a strong AAer who can do any event if needed (which Bross still is) even if no longer a mainstay for the AA.

Raisman is also more reliable than Bross who is known for making costly major errors at the wrong times. Raisman is a rock, except on bars where she would never be needed other than an emergency situation anyway. She is also a safer bet to stay healthy than Bross who has been injured much of her senior career.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-12-2011, 05:05 AM
And to be quite honest, on floor, Raisman's tumbling is cleaner (and more dynamic, IMO) and her new FX (as boring as Raisman's execution can be) is better than anything Bross has had as a senior. WOGA really dropped the ball on Bross' packaging, I find.

BigB08822
10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
As far as Raisman has come, she can't come close to providing an UB set for TF. If we are using her in TF then we are giving away some major points to Russia, China, etc. Bross can provide a nice UB score and is good on beam and floor. We can take Raisman if Ross can go up on bars in TF but I will be completely honest, I don't know how she is on bars. Raisman's chances to make the team could really come down to Ross' UB potential. If Ross is no good on bars then how could you have a team with only 2 decent UB workers? It doesn't make sense. Raisman needs an Amanar to make the team, to even have a chance to make the team, without injuries or other problems to other gymnasts, IMO.

Allen
10-12-2011, 05:51 AM
Ross is very clean on bars, but she doesn't have that high of a D score currently. I had hoped it was because her coaches were pacing her, but when she went for the Amanar instead of beefing up her bars routine, it made me wonder if she is capable of upgrading her bars enough to be in the 6.5 range.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-12-2011, 06:10 AM
True. How is Mackenzie Caquatto's D-score on Bars? I know it was a big loss to us when we lost her and Bross due to injuries because we thought we needed those bars for Worlds, essentially opening the door for Douglas and Li to make it to the World team (though we know how all of that ended up coming down).

bek
10-12-2011, 06:11 AM
Ross is very clean on bars, but she doesn't have that high of a D score currently. I had hoped it was because her coaches were pacing her, but when she went for the Amanar instead of beefing up her bars routine, it made me wonder if she is capable of upgrading her bars enough to be in the 6.5 range.

Maybe Ross is focused on the Amanar now because the Amanar may be harder for her to master. I can't imagine why she won't attempt to get her bars up there. If this girl does she will be challenging Wieber.

Allen
10-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Maybe Ross is focused on the Amanar now because the Amanar may be harder for her to master. I can't imagine why she won't attempt to get her bars up there. If this girl does she will be challenging Wieber.

I agree, but I just haven't seen any evidence of her doing that so far. I hope I'm totally wrong, because I really love Kyla's gymnastics and I really hope she makes the Olympic team.

Allen
10-12-2011, 06:18 AM
True. How is Mackenzie Caquatto's D-score on Bars? I know it was a big loss to us when we lost her and Bross due to injuries because we thought we needed those bars for Worlds, essentially opening the door for Douglas and Li to make it to the World team (though we know how all of that ended up coming down).

She was actually only credited with a 6.0 D score at nationals. For some reason, I thought her routine had a D score around 6.3-6.5.

Scintillation
10-12-2011, 06:42 AM
I hope I end up being wrong, but I'm with those that think that by next year Bross will no longer be considered useful by Marta and Co. Wieber, Ross, Douglas, and Raisman are all eclipsing her as AAers. If Liukin makes a comeback she'll be eclipsed on bars. If all those athletes are healthy next year I don't see a place for Rebecca.

Loves_Shizuka
10-12-2011, 07:00 AM
I'm slightly surprised at some of the team predictions here. I, for one, would be quite surprised to see Liukin on the team. She only announced her comeback this week, why are people SO confident she's a shoo-in for London already?! I know she's the best UBer the US has but this is assuming everything goes plain sailing for her; gymnastics often has a habit of making sure that doesn't happen. I wish her the best though. I'm also not convinced about Bross, though I think she is more likely to make it.

Back to more immediate events; I really want the Japanese to win tonight. Pleeeease. And if not them, I hope the Chinese do it. Good luck to them, and the Germans! :D

VIETgrlTerifa
10-12-2011, 07:17 AM
In one video, Marta said that Anna Li is hoping to have a 7.0 D score by next season, but I can't help but wonder if Marta is trying set a near-impossible goal for Anna just so she can not put her on the team. Not saying that 7.0 isn't possible for Anna, but probable? I don't think so because I do not think Anna would be very consistent with a bar that sounds beyond her reach. I know things happen in a year, but...