PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

BigB08822
10-11-2011, 07:22 PM
It must have been really hard for Anna to try to play supportive team member all week while Aly and the others talked about getting the gold for Alicia. I know it is sweet but Alicia had 9 World medals. Anna had none. I would have been really offended. Alicia should deny the medal and let Anna keep it. I would, especially if I had so many others. It won't change the official results, Alicia will always be another time World Champion but at least Anna would have something.

P.S. From what I have heard about Alicia, she probably wouldn't give Anna the medal. I have heard that Alicia isn't exactly the friendliest person on the team and it seems the only person she likes is Aly.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-11-2011, 07:23 PM
I love Anna's blogs.

Let's not forget that Marta will probably throw Alicia away in regards to next year. In Marta's post-Team competition interview with Dominique Moceanu and her husband, Marta basically said "out with the old and in with the new."

http://youtu.be/_YLfhx8w7CQ

Marta's part starts in around 8 minutes.

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 07:32 PM
This is all a bit :watch:

Marta certainly knows how to get peoples backs up. I doubt she cares.

I feel a bit for Alicia; she shouldn't be getting any kind of abuse at all. I hope she's feeling OK physically too. Anna Li is fantastic though.

Scintillation
10-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Um i just looked at Alicia's twitter and she mentioned Anna Li in her congratulations. @Gymbe4 is Anna Li.

And as for Marta saying "out with the old, in with the new"...it reminds me of that Onion article about Shawn Johnson being put down once she outlived her gymnastics usefulness. It's sadly kind of true. I'm rooting for the 2008 girls to do well and make it to London, but I'm starting to accept the reality that probably none of the 2008 team will be in London.

Allen
10-11-2011, 07:44 PM
Um i just looked at Alicia's twitter and she mentioned Anna Li in her congratulations. @Gymbe4 is Anna Li.

Oh wow, I looked at that twice to make sure. Ooops. I'm going to edit that out :)

Tesla
10-11-2011, 08:08 PM

And as for Marta saying "out with the old, in with the new"...it reminds me of that Onion article about Shawn Johnson being put down once she outlived her gymnastics usefulness. It's sadly kind of true. I'm rooting for the 2008 girls to do well and make it to London, but I'm starting to accept the reality that probably none of the 2008 team will be in London.

I depends. I could see one of the 2008 making the team, and I can see that one being Nastia if she can get her bars and beam stellar. Alicia isn't needed for vault, and I don't think Chellsie or Shawn will score as high as Nastia on bars. I think Nastia, Chellsie, Alicia, and Shawn are all fighting for, at most, one spot.

Allen
10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
I depends. I could see one of the 2008 making the team, and I can see that one being Nastia if she can get her bars and beam stellar. Alicia isn't needed for vault, and I don't think Chellsie or Shawn will score as high as Nastia on bars. I think Nastia, Chellsie, Alicia, and Shawn are all fighting for, at most, one spot.

I think a lot is going to depend on Kyla's bars and whether she can keep the Amanar. The team really needs a couple of bar workers that can hit the same D score as Komova.

oleada
10-11-2011, 08:16 PM
And Mustafina and Grishina who are really good bars workers as well.

US is set on vault. They just really need good bars workers.

Tesla
10-11-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm figuring Nastia has the best shot if she can get her bars score back up.

Allen
10-11-2011, 08:26 PM
And Mustafina and Grishina who are really good bars workers as well.

Grishina is actually my favorite of the Russians right now.

BigB08822
10-11-2011, 08:44 PM
I feel confident the team will be (prelims) (finals):

Wieber (AA) (AA)
Ross (AA) (V/FX/BB)
Bross (AA) (FX, UB)
Maroney (V/FX) (V)
Liukin (UB/BB) (UB/BB)

Maroney could do FX in TF if she is hitting and/or Bross isn't able to get back her full difficulty. Also, Bross could do beam if Liukin isn't back to form in time on that event. In other words, this is a nice lineup to fill in holes if we have last minute changes. Just dear God, please don't let anything happen to Wieber.

Now this is a lot of what ifs. The biggest of all is Bross getting back to form. If she isn't back to form then another AAer with a decent UB set would be needed. Douglas would be a great choice. There are a number of athletes competing for spots but some aren't competing against each other. For example, Raisman and Liukin are not fighting for the same spot on the team, for sure. The other big what if is whether or not everyone will be healthy but there is just no possible way to predict that so far out. I hope Bross comes back strong, we need her decent UB score plus she is reliable on the other events minus vault and vault is more than covered, but her DTY would be a backup much like Raisman's was this year. Raisman would be a great alternate for Ross if she can get an Amanar. I wouldn't want her covering for Bross because of the big loss on UB, so Douglas would be a good alternate for her.

Karina1974
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
So they have Anna accepting a medal in this photo here at USAgymnastics.org (http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8809&prog=) that is just going to Alicia? I seriously hope that Alicia turns the medal down.

All of this is way beyond not classy.

So... maybe the FIG should go back to 2003 WC and give Annia Hatch a Team GM, too. After all, she also went down before the competition even started. Maybe go back to 2000 OG as well, and give Morgan White a Team Bronze.

All I can say is this can set a dangerous precedent, both inside and outside the sport: the idea that, somehow, just showing up entitles you to the spoils that your team ends up bringing home, even if you were too injured to contribute to the effort. Shit happens, and like it says in the Peanuts strip "your (Alicia's) name just happened to come up." She most certainly isn't entitled to that medal.

I also seem to remember, when Simona Amanar was awarded the 2000 AA OGM, that she actually returned it to Andreea Raducan, and Maria Olaru gave Simona back the OSM she had originally won.

moojja
10-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I also seem to remember, when Simona Amanar was awarded the 2000 AA OGM, that she actually returned it to Andreea Raducan, and Maria Olaru gave Simona back the OSM she had originally won.

Yes, but the record still list Simona Amanar as the 2000 AA OGM. B/c the individual doesn't get to decide who gets what. Alicia can't control what the record book or what the news report says. Besides, how can Alicia give Anna the medal? Anna is still in Japan and Alicia is in the US already. Alicia doesn't even have the medal. In the case of Simona, wiki said she waited until after the Olympics was over and they were both back in Romania to give back the OGM.

Also if Alicia still wants to make 2012's Olympic team, any gesture that can be seen as a criticism of Martha would be dangerous. As people pointed out, she's not really needed in vault anymore. She needs to walk a fine line, and Alicia just had surgery on her tendon. It's not a major surgery, but it's still surgery. I'm sure she's not in the best mind frame right now. IMO, the safest thing to do is turn off her twitter and not responded at all.

Buzz
10-11-2011, 10:25 PM
This user has some vids of the US ladies in action:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ciciginastica#p/c/B0FD4D812BBF4095

And this user has vids from qualifications of US, Russia, and Chinese ladies:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Dlh8pfYEM

OnyxRose81
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
ITA with the poster above. Sac can't give Anna that medal bcause it would be in direct opposition to Marta/USAG. For whatever reason she wasn't named to the team and Alicia can't do anything to jeopordize her own Olympic hope which was already on thin ice before the injury.