PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM
If there was any question regarding whether Anna Li was on the podium collecting her medal or Alicia's...ESPN has the answer:

Alicia Sacramone Nets Record 10th Medal (http://espn.go.com/olympics/gymnastics/story/_/id/7088107/world-gymnastics-championships-united-states-injured-alicia-sacramone-nets-record-10th-medal)

Poor Anna.

So Anna had to walk round with the team, in competition leotard, knowing she was never going to compete; then stand on the podium with a medal round her neck, waving, probably feeling a bit awkward - and then she has to give the medal to someone else?!

judgejudy27
10-11-2011, 06:25 PM
If there was any question regarding whether Anna Li was on the podium collecting her medal or Alicia's...ESPN has the answer:

Alicia Sacramone Nets Record 10th Medal (http://espn.go.com/olympics/gymnastics/story/_/id/7088107/world-gymnastics-championships-united-states-injured-alicia-sacramone-nets-record-10th-medal)

Poor Anna.

Regardless of the record she isnt even in the same league as Miller, Liukin, or Johnson either.

ilovepaydays
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM

Poor Anna.

So they have Anna accepting a medal in this photo here at USAgymnastics.org (http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8809&prog=) that is just going to Alicia? I seriously hope that Alicia turns the medal down.

All of this is way beyond not classy.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
So Anna had to walk round with the team, in competition leotard, knowing she was never going to compete; then stand on the podium with a medal round her neck, waving, probably feeling a bit awkward - and then she has to give the medal to someone else?!

Yep. Marta and USAG haven't even acknowledged this. Someone on USAG's Facebook asked about the fate of Anna Li's medal and they took that question down. I think that they don't understand why some vocal fans aren't happier about Alicia breaking the medal count record because this and USA winning gold should be absolutely great news for American gym fans, but there's still a small (not small for me) bad taste in our mouths because of this whole situation.

aka_gerbil
10-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Poor Anna.

I'm a fan of Alicia, but this just isn't right at all. The girl wasn't even in the same country that the competetion was taking place in. To me, this is most certainly not a real record breaking win.

Rob
10-11-2011, 06:38 PM
I hope Alicia tells her to keep it. But if I were Anna, I am not sure I would really want it as a souvenir when I was ready to go, but not selected.

I'm a fan of Alicia, but this just isn't right at all. The girl wasn't even in the same country that the competetion was taking place in. To me, this is most certainly not a real record breaking win.

If there are a bunch of asterisks next to the 2000 Olympic AA records, there should be one here too.

Beefcake
10-11-2011, 06:44 PM
So they have Anna accepting a medal in this photo here at USAgymnastics.org (http://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=8809&prog=) that is just going to Alicia? I seriously hope that Alicia turns the medal down.

All of this is way beyond not classy.
If all of this is true, then -- ugh, yes, so damned classless. And Li's at the end, in that pic, so USAG can better edit her out of the picture (literally).

Allen
10-11-2011, 06:54 PM
If all of this is true, then -- ugh, yes, so damned classless. And Li's at the end, in that pic, so USAG can better edit her out of the picture (literally).

And they have in some of the pictures I've seen.

I just read on USAG's Facebook that Anna will receive a "copy" of the medal that USAG will make (apparently this has been done in the past for the alternates).

I just checked out Alicia's twitter and she must be getting some not so nice comments from people. She posted this a little while ago:

@BigTENknight you have a problem with it bring it up with USAG since it was their idea to give me the medal, not mine. Which was in response to this:

@ASac3 I am sorry to post this, but YOU don't deserve a medal. . you didn't earn it. .PERIOD. . DO the right thing and decline the medal.

Also, "BigTENknight replied to Alicia's comment and said
@ASac3 YOU could do the HONORABLE thing and decline it. . . would it mean ANYTHING? OMG, you EARNED a REALone. . #BEhonorable

I get what they are saying, but I find it very tacky to go on Alicia's twitter and say things like that. From all of that, I don't think Alicia will be giving Anna her medal as many have suggested.

Edited because I apparently can't read and thought Alicia didn't congratulate Anna, but she did, in fact :)

VIETgrlTerifa
10-11-2011, 06:59 PM
As much as I want Alicia to not accept the medal, I don't think she should be getting any of the blame here. She's also put in a awkward situation where they're already advertising her medal count to the media, and it really is a nice gesture FOR HER, so she will seem ungrateful to not accept it.

Pierre
10-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Also, when Alicia congratulated the team, she listed all of the names individually and left out Anna completely.

What a piece of you-know-what.

Allen
10-11-2011, 07:04 PM
What a piece of you-know-what.

I wouldn't go that far, but it definitely surprised me.

I know this is a figure skating board, but I feel like we need a "free Anna" emoticon :)

Karina1974
10-11-2011, 07:10 PM
I will say though I think this is the first time we've won with no major errors. Didn't someone fall off beam in 2007? No, Nastia seriously screwed up her dismount off beam.

IIRC, Shawn fell off beam in TF.

Hedwig
10-11-2011, 07:13 PM
To be honest - I think that all of this is a bit unfair towards Alicia. She just had a major injury. She would have liked nothing better than compete and challenge for medals but instead she now is facing a possible career ending injury and maybe the end of her dreams for the next Olympics.
but she never complained and continued to only think of the team.
Now to give her the added task of being responsible to right a wrong is very unfair to her personally.
Especially as I think that if she gave the medal to Anna it would seem like a rebellion against Marta in Marta's eyes and may trash Alicia's hope for London completely.
Maybe it would be the right thing to do but the right thing isn't always that easy if it means killing your dreams.

Who should be blamed is the US fed and Martha but not Alicia and the responsibility really should not be hers, nor should the blame.

Allen
10-11-2011, 07:14 PM
And this is Anna's latest (and very classy) blog entry:

GO USA!!!!!!!!! WE DID IT!!!

I’m so blessed to be a part of this World Champion Team! I’m so blessed to have woken up with over 100 Comments to my last blog! Thank you SO SO SO much for all of the love and support from all around the World. I was truly shocked and loved reading every single comment.

I guess it’s not too shabby to be a part of UCLA’s “2010 NCAA Champion team” and then USA’s “2011 World Champion Team”!!

If there is anything I would want to tell people that I’ve learned is, ALWAYS BELIEVE IN YOURSELF. No matter who or what people say. Believing in yourself is the most important. Also it’s the Journey that will mean the most to you, not always the results. And lastly of course “Success is peace of mind, which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best you are capable of becoming” -Coach Wooden And Things really do “turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out”

Good Night to everyone around the World I can’t thank you enough for all of your kind words!!

http://annali.us/?page_id=29

Rob
10-11-2011, 07:20 PM
I wouldn't place any blame on Alicia. The roster wasn't her choice. I think she should be able to do whatever she wants to do with the medal without being accountable to fans or incurring the wrath of Marta.

Anna is a very nice person.