PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastic news #6

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Pierre
10-11-2011, 01:24 PM
Komova looked totally defeated during her floor exercise.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Komova is young and hopefully will learn. I do miss Musty however, and cannot help but think if she was up there Russia would be wearing gold.

Her bars alone would've given Russia another 15.5 at least.

Hopefully she'll be working on those helicopter legs of hers in the meantime. If she can clean up her twisting form a bit, her e scores will go up.

bek
10-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Komova is young and hopefully will learn. I do miss Musty however, and cannot help but think if she was up there Russia would be wearing gold.

Obviously, and I suspect it didn't help to go into your first major competition not at your best either. I get major Nastia 2007 vibes from Komova. She can do her stuff but she's really not 100%.

She can redeem herself in the AA and maybe she will. Maybe Komova is of those Carly's, hits better for herself than she does for the team.

I agree about Aliya. Mustafina is capable of a 15.9 on bars thats 1.7 points more than Anna scored. Thats not even getting into vault, floor or beam.

This being said I do think Komova's coaches need to talk to her about how she gave up Supposedly Aliya is there, maybe Aliya should talk to Vika. But then again, if Aliya wants to win the AA next year (and maybe Aliya will be ready, that girl is a fighter) perhaps she'll happily let Komova have that attitude. Although perhaps not for team competition.

But definetly miss Mustafina's Warrior Princess attitude.

One wonders though in regards to Komova, what being told your the second coming by everyone in the world does to a kid...

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 01:31 PM
TBH, I got the impression more that she was physically struggling, rather than "sulking". Though yes, she did look like she was ready to cry after that first tumble. Whether that was pain, frustration or what, I don't know.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-11-2011, 01:32 PM
Supposedly Aliya is there, maybe Aliya should talk to Vika. But then again, if Aliya wants to win the AA next year (and maybe Aliya will be ready, that girl is a fighter) perhaps she'll happily let Komova have that attitude.

But definetly miss Mustafina's Warrior Princess attitude.

Musty is just the Khorkina type of leader team Russia needs.

Let's just hope Aliya is tactful enough not to slap her teammates right across the face like Khorky did though. They don't seem to like Demy all that much...

bek
10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
TBH, I got the impression more that she was physically struggling, rather than "sulking". Though yes, she did look like she was ready to cry after that first tumble. Whether that was pain, frustration or what, I don't know.

She didn't look good, but Afan looked P###d for a reason. This being said from all of the other Russian girls really good job. Nabieva hit her bars didn't she too. The Russians have gotten much more consistent under Alexandrov.

Musty is just the Khorkina type of leader team Russia needs.

Khorkina never lead her team to a World or Olympic AA title. And never completely delivered them for herself in team finals. When Nabieva screwed up her vault in event finals, you had Mustafina comforting her. Same with Afan in Event finals. She did call out her team in prelims.

Mustafina is a great team leader because she first of all puts her own performance where it counts. I think if anything Komova's the team leader and Mustafina is a more Tourischeva/Boginskya type of leader.

I wouldn't say Aliya's a better gymnast than Khorkina, but as a team leader she is 100% better.

VIETgrlTerifa
10-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Regarding Anna Li on the podium, I think she was allowed to stand there because she was accepting Alicia's medal since Alicia is officially part of the 6 member team while Li is an alternate.

I hope Alicia does the classy thing and not accept the medal in order to let Anna have it. Anna hitting her Bars in practice (potential 14.8-15.0+) and being on the floor with the team in a supporting role makes her much more part of the winning team than Alicia.

I sort of like that Romania hit and still came in 4th. They need to clean up their execution big-time AND Belu & Bitang need to learn how to coach bars. It's unacceptable that under a system that rewards Bars so much, the Romanian coaches haven't learned to try to teach the girls who to do competitive bar routines. I guess they got by for a while and maybe they're just holding off until they find out which ones of the 2013 FIG proposals will get accepted and see if they need to concentrate on bars. It's always odd how the Romanians just seem to hate bars.

BTW, I love Komova, but I wish she'd wash her hair. It's adding to the sad, injured, burnt-out, defeated look she had on the floor today. Unlike Wieber, I think Komova needs a new floor routine for London in order to fully show off her dance skills and lines. The one she has right now does her no real favors other then show her glorious toe point. She doesn't really dance in it and it's just posey.

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 01:35 PM
She didn't look good, but Afan looked P###d for a reason. This being said from all of the other Russian girls really good job. Nabieva hit her bars didn't she too. The Russians have gotten much more consistent under Alexandrov.

You're right; I forgot about Afan's bitch-face, post-FX.

Dionysus
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
It's a great shame that there was no tussle between RUS and USA. It seems Aleksandrov decided not to aspire for gold today to avoid more injures - that's why there were no 2.5 vaults... to give way today to whip London

But I hope Vika Komova would shine and win all-around because she is a true gymnast rather than robot

Buzz
10-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Where on earth did you guys watch this stuff? And are there are vids up yet? :shuffle:

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Where on earth did you guys watch this stuff? And are there are vids up yet? :shuffle:

I'm in the UK, so watched it live on BBC; earlier in the thread there are/were live feed links.

Karpenko
10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Well, with 2003 and 2007 as models, the US is perfectly positioned for an OSM next year!

Well, maybe not. The positive in this win for the USA is we pretty much, thanks to demonic Romanian mountain trolls who shall remain nameless(.....), already have experience using (and hitting absolutely every routine) the 5-3-3 format. We still won by 4 points when every other team had a 6th gymnast compete at least prelims.

Next year Bross, Sacramone, Nastia Liukin the reigning Olympic AA Champion one of my fav's of all-time and I think she wants the UB gold she didnt get in 08, another year of progression from Wieber, Douglas, Maroney, Raisman, Vega, Ross, Shawn Johnson, Bridget Sloan, and after going into Olympics for the 3rd time in a row as reigning World Champions I don't think this is going to get to their head. They could have a team twice as strong next year, and if Martha breaks 5 of them it will still be more gymnasts to choose from (how sad is that to realistically say, **** her).

Even with Mustafina back next year and Komova at her strongest, Grishina, etc I still think the USA will have a much stronger team next year who will score even higher and have much more experience than they did this time. They are going to be extremely tough to beat next year.

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
I think if anything Komova's the team leader and Mustafina is a more Tourischeva/Boginskya type of leader.

What do you mean by this exactly? :)

Loves_Shizuka
10-11-2011, 01:44 PM
I think you're right, Karpenko. As much as I want Russia to win in London, as of now, it's definitely the USA's to lose. Of course, ALOT can happen in a year, especially in gymnastics.

I have a feeling US Oly trials will be far more exciting than the Olympics themselves.

Karpenko
10-11-2011, 01:46 PM
^^ I wouldn't doubt that - I much prefer the 2004 US Olympic Trials to the actual 2004 Olympics ;)

Russia will still be so strong even with healthy Grishina/Komova/Mustafina trio, but the US next year can get gigantic scores on all 4 events with the right combination of 5 gymnasts.